Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Awesome Race

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 03:15 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Awesome Race

Ok, so I was visiting a friend this past week, and a few guys were sitting around with their cars (including me) and one of them has an LS1 SS. He has similar things done to his, but everybody up there thinks his car is so mean and fast and everything, so I was curious to see how mine stacked up to it since they didn't really seem to think much of mine. lol. So we decided to head out to the middle of nowhere and see. My car is down in my sig. with everything I've done to it. His car I believe had a lid, ported throttle body, LS6 manifold, LT headers, ORY, Borla catback, a built tranny, Vig 3600 converter, 9" rear end with 4.10's, Prostars all the way around - skinnies in the front and BFG DR's in the back (quite a bit wider than my 275's...), some kinda of drag racing suspension, and the sway bar taken out. He did his own tune on it too I believe. He was stock weight still he said, and I am too except for the spare.

So anyway, we go out a few miles into the middle of nowhere and park next to each other. Spin the tires just a bit to clean them off, line up, and have a friend wave the start for us. We both take off at the exact same instant, but bot spin horribly. He said he spun the whole way through 1st, and I did most of the way through (so with his 4.10s and my 3.23's I'm guessing we spun about the same time). After I was going straight again I looked over because i was surprised I wasn't seeing his taillights already (I couldn't hear him spinning too) and he was dead even with me. So I just looked back forwards and kept going (his car was HARD to see too.... night time and a black car with black tinted windows.... lol). Part way through second I looked over and he's still there, dead even with me, not more than a few inches forward or backwards from me and not moving either way. So I looked back forwards until part way through 3rd. Now this is where it gets a little more interesting, but was still a great race. I was watching him closer now because I knew we were nearing the end of the race.... and as I started going higher up through third I saw his car very VERY slowly start dropping back... After a second or two maybe he was a couple feet back from where he was before (like literally maybe two... the bar between the windshield and side window of his car was part way back through my side window) he let off and we stopped. Unfortunately there was no one at the end to watch the finish.... so our stories differ a little bit. lol. When we stopped and talked to each other he just said that it was close and "by a nose, if that", so I assumed he was talking about me winning, and i actually talked to the people back at the place where we were heading back to on the phone and told them I got him by like 2 feet. When we got back though he said "no, I meant I won by a nose." But anyway, I had to ask him where we shut down because I was looking kinda over at him, and not down at my speedo, and he said right at about 108-109, or in other words about perfectly the quarter for us. That makes me wonder though, if I was watching him and he was watching the speedometer at the very end, who would be able to see who won better? Not that I'm saying he was lying by any means, it would just be hard to see a dark car like mine out of the corner of your eye at night when you're looking forward/down. Either way, I could care less. 2 feet at the end of a 1/4 mile one way or another and I'm happy. It was a great race and I fully expected to see taillights the whole time from how the guys up there talk about his car.

What do you guys think about the race knowing what he has done to his car compared to mine and stuff?
Old 08-04-2008, 07:37 PM
Staging Lane

Damn good run! Sounds like a photo finish. Too close to call I would say. That would have made for a hell of a video.
Old 08-04-2008, 09:13 PM
TECH Regular

You won. **** him he's a *****! I hate losing big time............we all do. But at least have the curtousy to adnit defeat. Why didn't you run again?
Old 08-04-2008, 11:46 PM
12 Second Club

Yeah, like I said, it was so close I don't even care who won. I was just happy to not see taillights the whole time. lol. What do you guys think about his mods compared to mine and how we both ran there?
Old 08-05-2008, 12:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So where did you guys run them at? I live in lafayette too, and I never see anyone to run. I do see a few people over at the burger king off of teal rd on fri/sat nights, but never stop in. They look like they just sit there all night? I would love to run you sometime after winter. My clutch is slipping bad right now, so no racing for me until that gets fixed. Maybe ill see ya around
Old 08-05-2008, 07:55 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like you held up well to me. The big thing with gears is that they can work totally for or totally against you from a dig. If you had both hooked, he would have probably jumped out on you in the first half of the race because those gears would have put him in his powerband much quicker. But the big downside to gears (especially steep ones like 4.10s or steeper, as in my car), is that they have a tendency to spin much easier on the street than with 3.23s or 3.42s. They also aren't typically going to help your trap speed or top end much or at all unless you're geared just right for the distance you're racing.

Even when I went from 4.10s with the stock tranny to 4.10s with the GTO trans, I noticed that my car started spinning much more easily in first and second without having changed anything else on the car, including the tires.
Old 08-11-2008, 10:34 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Cvaught
So where did you guys run them at? I live in lafayette too, and I never see anyone to run. I do see a few people over at the burger king off of teal rd on fri/sat nights, but never stop in. They look like they just sit there all night? I would love to run you sometime after winter. My clutch is slipping bad right now, so no racing for me until that gets fixed. Maybe ill see ya around
I was atually up in valparaiso staying with a friend. I know what you mean, I've had my car 3 years in lafayette now and have had one person ever try to get my to race him (a silver Z28 that looked stock). I was heading to my parents for dinner and couldn't be late though, so i didnt . hahaha. But anyway, yeah, other than the car club at Purdue I don't know of much the goes on around lafayette either. Yep, maybe I'll see you around I'll be looking for your car

Originally Posted by PewterScreaminMach
Sounds like you held up well to me. The big thing with gears is that they can work totally for or totally against you from a dig. If you had both hooked, he would have probably jumped out on you in the first half of the race because those gears would have put him in his powerband much quicker. But the big downside to gears (especially steep ones like 4.10s or steeper, as in my car), is that they have a tendency to spin much easier on the street than with 3.23s or 3.42s. They also aren't typically going to help your trap speed or top end much or at all unless you're geared just right for the distance you're racing.

Even when I went from 4.10s with the stock tranny to 4.10s with the GTO trans, I noticed that my car started spinning much more easily in first and second without having changed anything else on the car, including the tires.

Yeah, I know what you mean. Luckily for him he only spun in first... It might have been bad if 2nd would have too. But anyway, Yeah i was just wondering if maybe those 4.10ss made him start running out of steam juuuuuust a little bit by 110. If so, that would explain what i thought I saw.
Old 08-11-2008, 03:39 PM
***Repost Police***

Good run man, those gears may very well have hurt him on the big end. Close races are the best ones to win, IMO