Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

I finally raced my friend with his new evo

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 07:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1>*
It had to have been stock....If it has aftermarket cams then he has no idea how to drive...

My SS puts down more whp/wtq than your car does and I've raced 2 Evo 9's with 330whp and only managed 1.5-2 CL's on them...

You're not puttin 4-5 CL's on a cammed Evo
you sir... are correct, maybe after LT's i would have a chance
Old 08-11-2008, 11:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by black_phoenix
you sir... are correct, maybe after LT's i would have a chance
You will have more than a "chance"
Old 08-12-2008, 01:13 AM
Staging Lane

Yeah, once you've got the LT's on then a cam only Evo will be a good run...

Cam and meth Evo's are a bit more common as far as I know...I've known several people that have upgraded their cams and installed a meth kit at the same time...

2 of them cleared the 375whp mark with just those upgrades on stock turbos...Those were Evo 9's though...Not sure what an Evo 8 is capable of.
Old 08-13-2008, 09:03 AM
Teching In

The launch in an AWD car is only complicated by building boost. Slipping the clutch is not hard to learn. With my piggyback ECU I can leave the line at around 10lbs of boost. Doing it manually I can hit 6lbs to 7lbs of boost.

Realize just taking the motor to 5500 isn't going to net any boost. Drop the clutch at 5500 with zero boost is really only going to bog down. If you are luck the motor can pull you to 3000rpm where you can start to make boost. But more often you will have the front end drop and left with a 4cyl with low compression.

Best advise for racing a AWD car that can launch is to stay with it. Most cars with MPH us but give up to easy when we are 4 or 5 cars out on them. I had a S/C GTO give up after 1/4 block because he said I was so far ahead and he roasted the tires. I have no doubt that by 80MPH he would have been coming by me in a hurry but he gave up.
Old 08-13-2008, 10:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by PowershifterNC
I've never driven an awd vehicle but it seems like it would be easy to launch....rev it high and side step the clutch
Do you know how hard that is on parts? I went through 2 transmissions in my WRX doing that ****. At $5,000 a whack you'll start to reconsider that strategy really quick.
Old 08-13-2008, 11:01 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by rocksws6
Do you know how hard that is on parts? I went through 2 transmissions in my WRX doing that ****. At $5,000 a whack you'll start to reconsider that strategy really quick.
What the hell were you buying that cost you 5k for a tranny? For 2k you can by an 06/07 STi tranny and don't even need to change the rear.

5k will get you 1-4 PPG gears installed and be near bullet proof.
Old 08-13-2008, 11:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

For the tow, all the internals, labor, clutch and flywheel. It came out to right at mid 4k. The dealership payed for it the first time.
Old 08-13-2008, 11:27 AM
TECH Apprentice

I never said I would actually rev it up and dump it..looks like slipping the clutch is the best way to go with a boosted 4
Old 08-13-2008, 11:39 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by rocksws6
For the tow, all the internals, labor, clutch and flywheel. It came out to right at mid 4k. The dealership payed for it the first time.
Ouch sounds like you put it back to stock. Yeah I could see it costing that much from the dealer.
Old 08-13-2008, 02:22 PM
Teching In

dumping the clutch is a terrible way to launch an evo anyway. if you side step the clutch, you are guaranteed to bog off the line, it just doesn't have the torque to do it. generally the best launch is done by a very quick slip of the clutch at high revs (my two step was set for 5800rpm on stock turbo, and now its at 6000rpm for my bigger turbo). i can spin all 4 tires easily with no bog and leave the line extremely hard.

as for reliability doing that, i've got 70k miles, stock motor, stock tranny, all stock axles/driveshafts. an upgraded transfercase (never had a problem with the original one, but i had a great opportunity to get one with an LSD without any down time to send it to to get built. and since it is a common weak point for the evos i wanted to get it done before mine breaks). i've got an ACT clutch which now has almost 50k miles. stock clutch lasted a hair over 20k. the car has never been to the drag strip, but every customer that comes over wants a ride in it so it is beat on regularly. it is also daily driven ~500whp.
Old 08-13-2008, 05:24 PM
Launching!

Default I had an Evo 8 and came back to the Shitty 4th gen...

The evo was a POS for a DD... It had NO bottom end grunt ESPECIALLY with 2 kids and the wife with the air on on a mid 90 deg. day!!!

My buddy has a 2.3 stroker and the ddability is much improved with just a little cubic inch!

The evo would launch HARD @5500 but how many times???
I never got in a dig run with the car the whole time I owned it but I cringed each time I launched it!!!

I like my shitty ergo camaro which suits my dd commute well. LOTSA torque.
Old 08-13-2008, 05:32 PM
On The Tree

nice kill, even if he was stock
Old 08-14-2008, 12:04 PM
TECH Regular

Good kill if he was stock, and your buddy most likely is an actual ricer or hood winked by the previous owner if he thinks it's cammed.

I've seen 272 cammed evos with a reflash with about 350 to the wheels. Though your friend could suck at driving.

More power to all 4 wheels plus less weight, should = his win with identical drivers.
I'd have to chalk this up as bad driver or duped/lying owner.

Good kill on the EVO either way!!!
Old 08-14-2008, 01:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Kind of stupid to brag about walking an AWD off the line. Common sense tells you that AWD is **** off the line.
Old 08-14-2008, 01:14 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Semper91-RS
Kind of stupid to brag about walking an AWD off the line. Common sense tells you that AWD is **** off the line.

Captain OBVIOUS says YOU HAVE NEVER DRIVEN ONE!!!!

Keeping the revs up DOES NOT mean you have ANY boost built up...

Turbos boost with a load....

There is a fine line sweet spot between bogging and coming out HARD esp. when you got 272's or a larger turbo.

Go drive one and let us know!!!
Old 08-14-2008, 01:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

so you're saying slipping the clutch puts enough load on the engine to build boost and sling it out of the hole?
Old 08-14-2008, 06:11 PM
Launching!

so you're saying slipping the clutch puts enough load on the engine to build boost and sling it out of the hole?
I'm not going to try to explain to you how to launch an evo....

Do a search on evolutionm.net....
Old 08-14-2008, 11:23 PM
Teching In

In my AWD Talon I also don't dump the clutch. One time I got a little greedy did that and broke a rear axle immediately. What I normally do is bring it up to the 2-step (5-5,500rpm) and let it build some boost. I like having about 5-10psi, pre-load the drivetrain and slip the clutch a little bit so the car starts moving a little bit then let the clutch out all the way really fast. It should just squat and take off. It takes awhile to get used to doing it right. There are some people who learn how to launch AWD cars fast others take years. I have gotten numerous 1.62-1.63 60 fts doing it this way on real street tires. I have been racing this car for 6 yrs (600+ passes at the dragstrip) and I have only broken it once launching the car ie. when I broke that axle from dumping the clutch. It's all about technique.

Last edited by diambo4life; 08-14-2008 at 11:29 PM.
Old 08-15-2008, 08:08 AM
TECH Apprentice

I'm not going to try to explain to you how to launch an evo....

Do a search on evolutionm.net....
If I wanted to do a search I wouldn't have posted here..I thought maybe you knew enough to answer it
Old 08-15-2008, 10:57 AM
Launching!

If I wanted to do a search I wouldn't have posted here..I thought maybe you knew enough to answer it
Nope...

I've only owned a first gen Talon awd, a first gen Eclipse awd and a '03 Evo.
(And 2 transfer cases from the Talon)

Sorry for not answering your post but the guy above did a great job...