Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

New Tundra

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 05:42 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Tundra

A guy in a long-bed Tundra was screwing with me on the way home from work today. Kept pulling up and looking down at me. I opened it up a bit for him to see what it sounded like and pulled a few lengths. He must have punched it because I hear this roooooooaaarrrrr like when I open my garage door.

Are these things supposed to be fast or something??? I know they have 385fwhp but damn this thing was extra cab and looked to be long-bed. Probably 4500#'s...
Old 09-18-2008, 05:55 PM
On The Tree

They "think" they're hotrods. I think the Toyota commercials said it enough, so these nerds think the have something hot.

The same kind of morons that clog the lanes at the dragstrip with their brand new trucks. Don't matter how fast they are, they are still ugly as sin.
Old 09-18-2008, 05:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Where in Austin was this? And they are pretty quick for what they are, the crewmax runs high 14s stock the doublecabs run mid 14s and the regular cabs run low 14s/high 13s stock. But yeah, some people think they are faster than anything on the road lol, good kill.
Old 09-18-2008, 06:01 PM
Staging Lane

I was just somewhat stunned because trucks usually don't screw with me. Even Lightnings give me some ounce of respect. This guy, from the look on his face, thought I was small fry for some reason. amusing to say the least.
Old 09-18-2008, 06:05 PM
Staging Lane

I was coming off US183 Anderson Mill area at my exit when he started his crap. We didn't race, too much traffic. I just pulled a couple and let off which really seemed to fire him up...
Old 09-18-2008, 06:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Stock they are slow but TRD has a supercharger package out for them which boosts power to 500hp
Old 09-18-2008, 06:52 PM
Staging Lane

I'm sure TRD is stepping up. I had a Toyota S-Runner with 360hp trd roots-blower on it. It was pretty quick for a little truck.
Old 09-18-2008, 07:42 PM

Received 161 Likes on 99 Posts

To Tundra drivers, yes they are fast. I have even seen a few dip into 13's, well on Youtube anyway.
Old 09-18-2008, 07:50 PM
Teching In

I hadn't heard of any in the 13s. That is impressive! Most are in the 14s, which is still impressive for a truck that wasn't built to be a sports truck like the lightning or srt-10 ram. Toyota really stepped up their game with the new Tundra.

As far as looks, at first I thought they were really ugly. I couldn't believe they had made such an ugly truck, but it's grown on me as I see more on the road.
Old 09-18-2008, 07:57 PM
10 Second Club

The guy that did the exhuast on my car has one. He thinks it's the god of all hot rods. He told me a raced a c6 vette from red light to red light and smoked it by about 3 cars.
Old 09-18-2008, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by DVan8504
I hadn't heard of any in the 13s. That is impressive! Most are in the 14s, which is still impressive for a truck that wasn't built to be a sports truck like the lightning or srt-10 ram. Toyota really stepped up their game with the new Tundra.

As far as looks, at first I thought they were really ugly. I couldn't believe they had made such an ugly truck, but it's grown on me as I see more on the road.
Actually, if you search "bed test" or a few other independant tests on the Tundra, they are pretty fragile. They have a test called the "frame test" and it fails horribly compared to the F150. They are must sees.

Here they are.

Bed test. At 1:15 in, its halarious how bad the Tundra is.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWjTbiYo3x0

Frame test.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRfE_XAk2mE

Sorry OP, I just helped a buddy pick out a truck and I had to do some research so I thought I would share.
Old 09-18-2008, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by odarabla
The guy that did the exhuast on my car has one. He thinks it's the god of all hot rods. He told me a raced a c6 vette from red light to red light and smoked it by about 3 cars.
Sounds about right.
Old 09-18-2008, 09:01 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by JayplaySS2
Actually, if you search "bed test" or a few other independant tests on the Tundra, they are pretty fragile. They have a test called the "frame test" and it fails horribly compared to the F150. They are must sees.

Here they are.

Bed test. At 1:15 in, its halarious how bad the Tundra is.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWjTbiYo3x0

Frame test.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRfE_XAk2mE

Sorry OP, I just helped a buddy pick out a truck and I had to do some research so I thought I would share.
I was just referring to the powerful engine and the towing capacity. I hadn't really looked up any kind of reliability testing or anything beyond the engine and towing honestly. Those videos are pretty interesting. I did notice that in the frame testing, the presenter said "we've also fully boxed the frame" in reference to the F-150's frame, which implies he is affiliated with Ford in some way. I'm not saying those tests have zero merit, but the 'we' is interesting, and in most editorial reviews I've read the F-150 finished towards the end of the pack, so it's just a little hard to swallow.
Old 09-18-2008, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by DVan8504
I was just referring to the powerful engine and the towing capacity. I hadn't really looked up any kind of reliability testing or anything beyond the engine and towing honestly. Those videos are pretty interesting. I did notice that in the frame testing, the presenter said "we've also fully boxed the frame" in reference to the F-150's frame, which implies he is affiliated with Ford in some way. I'm not saying those tests have zero merit, but the 'we' is interesting, and in most editorial reviews I've read the F-150 finished towards the end of the pack, so it's just a little hard to swallow.
All they were saying was the Ford comes with a boxed frame and the Toyota does not. I believe they have started boxing the Tundra frames now. There are plenty of legitimate tests available.
Old 09-18-2008, 09:25 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by JayplaySS2
All they were saying was the Ford comes with a boxed frame and the Toyota does not. I believe they have started boxing the Tundra frames now. There are plenty of legitimate tests available.
Just seems weird to me that I haven't seen the F-150 regarded very highly in the full size truck comparisons over the past 5 years and yet somehow these tests show it to be the most stable truck. *shrug* I don't want to get this thread more sidetracked. Good kill OP>