LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   Suspension & Brakes (https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspension-brakes-16/)
-   -   Strano Hollow bar update (https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspension-brakes/1001961-strano-hollow-bar-update.html)

bene 01-29-2009 01:59 PM

What is the difference in weight between your solid and hollow sway bars Sam? What's the difference on weight versus our stock ones?

Sam Strano 01-29-2009 02:22 PM

The front solid bar is about 14 pounds more than the hollow front. All front bars are hollow from GM, and my hollow (when I have it) is between about 2-4 pounds more than an OEM front depending on the stock size (in your case 30mm so about 4 lbs. more), which makes a solid 35mm front about 18 heavier than your OEM bar.

The rear bar is about 4 pounds less than a stock 19mm rear (which are solid) and about 6 less than a solid 21mm which is of similar stiffness to my hollow.

Sam Strano 01-29-2009 04:25 PM

FYI:

I've been putting off ordering another run of the Solid front/Hollow rear combinations in hope that we'd have the hollow fronts ready to roll by now. It seems we are still some time away from that happening, so I ordered a small batch of 35mm solid and 22mm hollow rears to give folks the best balanced, if not the lightest combination of bars.

Everything in this set is the same as with the Hollow bars (the OD, the hardware, the bending), but the front bar is a solid bar due to material delivery issues. Cost is less $369/set plus shipping. The only difference is the front bar is about 14 pounds heavier (but hey, you save $79 to offset it).

We are still working on getting the hollow bars back, this is simply something I'm doing to appease some that have grown impatient (and rightfully so, I'm fed up with the avaiability issues from my vendor too).

qwickslvrgoat 02-01-2009 09:50 PM

The $369 pair seems fair. Is it the best combination you feel that you sell? Anything else required with this kit? How much of an improvement should I feel after having this installed?

suzookiegsxr 02-02-2009 06:37 AM

Sam rules, I can't believe these people are giving him a hard time. Especially people WHO AREN'T EVER ORDERING THEM.
Strano is a good company, and he's a good guy going out of his way to keep his customers informed.

He could just be feeding you a line of shit to keep you all happy, but I apprecieate the honesty.

I'm glad I got my suspension package from him last year.

Sam Strano 02-02-2009 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by qwickslvrgoat (Post 10968011)
The $369 pair seems fair. Is it the best combination you feel that you sell? Anything else required with this kit? How much of an improvement should I feel after having this installed?

Until the hollow front bar comes back into stock, this is the best combination available (and the hollow front is only "better" in so far as it's lighter, but also costs a bit more).

The sizes of the bars, combined with the fact you still get the hollow rear (which is not just less weight, but less unsprung weight which is more critical), as well as all new hardware and bushings.... Yes, I feel this is still the best matched set of bars out there at this time.

Will you feel a difference? HELL YES. The rear bar is some 33% stiffer than a stock 19mm rear bar. The front bar is between 30-45% stiffer than a V-8's stock front (depending on the OEM size 30, or 32). That's a LOT more roll stiffness.

Viper 02-02-2009 10:36 AM

I have his solid front bar from 2001 (before he made hollow ones) and a 1LE rear 21mm bar, great combo. Don't get me wrong, I too wonder what the weight savings would feel like.

MeentSS02 02-02-2009 02:59 PM

I swapped from a Suspension Techniques 35mm front bar to Sam's hollow 35mm front bar - to be quite honest, I didn't notice a difference in having that weight off the nose of the car. I simply don't drive my car that hard, but when you pick that ST bar up and compare it to the hollow bar, holy shit - that solid bar weighs a ton. I had the money, so I went for it - to me, it handled the same, and shaved at least some weight off of my already portly car (full stereo system w/ sub and two amps, heavy ass SLP subframe connectors, 74/38 battery, 200 amp alt, etc).

Sam Strano 02-02-2009 04:21 PM

And the whole idea was so that folks didn't all of a sudden miss a lot of roll stiffness changing to the lighter hollow bar. I guess it worked. :D

That post is proof positive that the difference between a hollow and a solid bar of a given dimension isn't very large, which is why I'd never change a GM 32 hollow for a solid aftermarket 32, it's not enough difference.

The only reason that I don't have hollow bars right now is production issues. I'm offering the solid front as a substitute, and at a lower price for those that can live with the extra weight.

MeentSS02 02-02-2009 08:24 PM

You bet Sam...I noticed no difference in roll stiffness. For me, I save weight where I can, but in addition to the stuff I listed above, I also haul around a 12-bolt rear and a rather large radiator filled to the brim with about twice as much coolant as the stocker.

Now I just need to sell my old ST bars - that 25mm solid rear bar was WAY too stiff.

kyoytey1693 02-11-2009 09:10 PM

Sam - any update on the solid front 35 mm bar? I got my Bilsteins in today and want to install the bar at the same time. I'm anxious!!!

Sam Strano 02-12-2009 02:09 PM

The solid bar? Shipment of about 10 is due in about 3 days, but 4 of those are pre-sold.... Hollow bar is still being worked on and still no ETA.

paul12001 02-12-2009 02:31 PM

I just placed my order guys!!!

kyoytey1693 02-17-2009 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by Sam Strano (Post 11039565)
The solid bar? Shipment of about 10 is due in about 3 days, but 4 of those are pre-sold.... Hollow bar is still being worked on and still no ETA.

Any updates on those solid bars Sam?

bene 02-17-2009 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by Sam Strano (Post 11039565)

Wait, is the solid bar backorder too??:confused:

Sam Strano 02-18-2009 11:10 AM

Please let's not get into an internet driven frenzy... :)

I have a batch of bars on a truck headed to my shop as I type this. Solid front and hollow rears. We also have the solid but 3 way adjsutable rear bar ready to ship.

Hollow fronts with some different bends are being test fitted again this week to see if the changed needed are going to work (remember the company that made the hollow front before and we had worked out can't, so I'm working with another company who has never done it before and so we had to start over with fitment).

kyoytey1693 02-18-2009 11:52 AM

Dang I was hoping the solid front bar was on its way to my house by now. :(

Sam Strano 02-18-2009 01:38 PM

There was a hold up on bushings. This time of year most everyone keeps their stock lower (modding happens less in the winter time). Bars were ready, but we were waiting on bushings from Energy Suspension who was out for a little while and that backed everythign up a few days.

kyoytey1693 02-18-2009 08:29 PM

Ok Sam I'm lost. You posted on the 12th that the bars were due in about 3 days. Today is the 18th and 3 post above this one says the bars aren't even there yet? And now the bushings are out of stock too? I'm not trying to be a bitch so dont take it the wrong way but what is going on and when can we expect them?

paul12001 02-19-2009 07:50 AM

Me too I was expecting mine to be delivered today!