Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Tunnel/Body Mount Torque Arm and Rear End Noise

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 10:50 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Tunnel/Body Mount Torque Arm and Rear End Noise

How much does the body/tunnel mount torque arm transmit/amplify rear end noise, such as gear whine, compared to a trans mount torque arm?

I've had a body mount torque arm that mounts where the g-load brace and subframe connecters meet for the past 3 years. When I first installed the torque arm it was with the stock 10 bolt rear, I later upgraded to a Moser 9 inch rear using the same torque arm. When I installed the rear I had horrible gear whine, so loud that you could not have a reasonable conversation with your passenger. I talked with Moser and they told me it is common with the larger diameter gears. Not able to stand the noise any longer I had a local shop with a great reputation setup another set of gears about a year later hoping the gear whine would go away. Still had the exact same gear whine so I just accepted it for the past few years, but have not driven the car much.

Recently I have made up my mind that I need to resolve the noise and started looking at the suspension as a possible cause for the excessive noise. I have tubular LCAs, panhard rod, sub-frame connectors and torque arm.

I am tempted to mount the stock torque arm to the trans/OEM mount just for a test to se if it eliminates some of the issues. Had any one else had and issue with the body/tunnel mount torque arms and rear gear noise?
Old 10-21-2008, 07:07 AM
TECH Regular

No one has tried both the trans mount and tunnel mount torque arm?
Old 10-21-2008, 07:49 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what ratio gear?
Old 10-21-2008, 09:16 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

The Moser 9" doesn't like negative pinion angle on the street... check your pinion angle and try it at 0 degree's if you haven't already.

FWIW I run a tunnel mounted torque arm with a S60 and no additional road noise of whine.

Hope that helps!
Ryan
Old 10-21-2008, 12:24 PM
TECH Regular

Running a 3.89 ratio. I've double checked the pinion angle and made sure it was set at 0 degree. Just got back from a test drive and still sounds the same. I just want to rule out the suspension as my problem before I have the rear gears setup again. I'm thinking about a different gear ratio, I've heard that 3.89 gears in the 9 inch can be noise, but that may just be bad info I've gotten. Thanks for the help guys.
Old 10-21-2008, 02:05 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 97pontta
Running a 3.89 ratio. I've double checked the pinion angle and made sure it was set at 0 degree. Just got back from a test drive and still sounds the same. I just want to rule out the suspension as my problem before I have the rear gears setup again. I'm thinking about a different gear ratio, I've heard that 3.89 gears in the 9 inch can be noise, but that may just be bad info I've gotten. Thanks for the help guys.
Some gears make noise. Depends on ratio plus brand. Some brands make less noise than others. I have 4.10s in a moser 12 bolt and it whines as well. It depends more on how the gears are installed more than pinion angle being off by 1-2 degrees. Steeper gears like what we are using tend to whine.
Old 10-21-2008, 06:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You are not the first I heard complain about the Moser whine. I think it is inherent in many of those rearends. Look around or search it in rearend section.
Old 10-21-2008, 11:28 PM
TECH Regular

How loud is the whine your talking about? I have long tube headers, Off road Y pipe and hooker catback. At speeds 35MPH plus I cannot hear my exhaust until I'm above 3500 RPM, and my exhaust isn't quiet. When I'm slowing on an off ramp for example it sounds like a jet landing, and I can hear gear noise at speeds as low as 10MPH. Its hard to have a conversation with someone in the car at hwy speeds without raising your voice. I can totally understand a little noise due to the larger diameter gears and ratio but I was always under the impression it was slightly noticeable.

Thanks again for the help guys.
Old 10-22-2008, 06:56 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 97pontta
How loud is the whine your talking about? I have long tube headers, Off road Y pipe and hooker catback. At speeds 35MPH plus I cannot hear my exhaust until I'm above 3500 RPM, and my exhaust isn't quiet. When I'm slowing on an off ramp for example it sounds like a jet landing, and I can hear gear noise at speeds as low as 10MPH. Its hard to have a conversation with someone in the car at hwy speeds without raising your voice. I can totally understand a little noise due to the larger diameter gears and ratio but I was always under the impression it was slightly noticeable.

Thanks again for the help guys.
I've had a few different brands of 4.10's in a couple different rearends and all of them have whined somewhat. I'm used to it now since its been a long time, but used to people would go for a ride in my car that don't know hardly anything about cars and be like wtf is that noise? I just got used to it over time. I have found royal purple 75 90 gear oil to help w the whine.
Old 10-22-2008, 10:45 AM
TECH Regular

I think I may look at installing some sound dampening material under the interior carpet to help keep the noise down, maybe look at a different gear ratio.
Old 10-23-2008, 09:13 AM
On The Tree

I have a Moser 9 Inch with 370 gears and it whines badly also. I have decided to get some sound deading material to put in and see if it helps.
Old 10-23-2008, 11:02 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by jwastedx
I have a Moser 9 Inch with 370 gears and it whines badly also. I have decided to get some sound deading material to put in and see if it helps.
Post up your results when you get it done. I plan on doing mine but it won't be until I park the car for the winter.
Old 10-23-2008, 10:20 PM
Launching!

I have 4.30s in a 12 bolt moser, true trac dif, bmr extreme torque arm, race only lcas w/ relocation, rodded end panhard w/ relocation, no whine from the diff, some noise from the rodded end parts, but no whine
Old 10-26-2008, 02:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have a Moser 9 inch with a Spohn body mounted TA. The first thing you need to do is get your gears re-set until they stop whining. It took me three tries to get it right in mine--but was well worth it (this was a local pro doing the work). I have 4.11s but can't hear them at all unless the stereo is off and I'm driving easy. The body mount TA will transmit more noise and vibration as you know. I bought longer mounting bolts and added some rubber pads between the mount and body. It helps. The main thing is to get your gears set right.
Old 10-26-2008, 02:16 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a Strange 12 bolt that whines pretty good. I had a body mounted torque arm a couple years ago, this amplified it.

Quick Reply: Tunnel/Body Mount Torque Arm and Rear End Noise