Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Supension Guru's - Need Spring/Shock Help...

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 03:42 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Supension Guru's - Need Spring/Shock Help...

As of now, we have v6 springs in the rear with QA-1's. Stock setup in front. Adjustable LCA's, Pan hard bar, torque arm, and front sway bar removed.
SFC's under a 8 point cage.
The big weights - 408 Iron block, TH400, Strange 12 Bolt
My 60' times are so erratic. Best so far has been a 1.51 but averaging 1.65-1.75(Like driving on ice). I'm thinking a better spring/shock setup will help but I know nothing about spring rates and such. Anyone with any recommendations/thoughts? Thanks
Old 11-04-2008, 03:52 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Hello, first off your front shocks are contributing to your car being erratic. Also do you have lca relocation brackets on the car? What setting do you have the rear QA1'S on? What type of tire and air pressure? All of these along with other factors will make you car inconsistant. If its easier for you give us a call. Our tech is one of the best in the business. We can help you get the car dialed in.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 11-04-2008, 03:58 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by BMR Sales
Hello, first off your front shocks are contributing to your car being erratic. Also do you have lca relocation brackets on the car? What setting do you have the rear QA1'S on? What type of tire and air pressure? All of these along with other factors will make you car inconsistant. If its easier for you give us a call. Our tech is one of the best in the business. We can help you get the car dialed in.
No relocation brackets on the LCA's.
MT ETStreets @ 14 thru 18 pounds
QA-1's anywhere from #6 adjustment to #2. (Even tryed stiffening 1 side over other and visa versa. No help.
Old 11-04-2008, 04:06 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts

A front shock change might help, but I don't think you'd see much difference. I'd agree that LCA brackets would help as the instant center change would plant the rear harder. Not knowing what TA you have, you might think about a shorter one as they also plant the tires harder.

Does the car pull when you leave? Is the track always prepped well? All the parts in the world won't help if the track is up and down, or the tires are just heat cycling out.

If the car doesn't leave straight that'd be something to work on either with rear springs, rear bar and/or airbags. And Drag springs would be worth considering too (which come with an airbag for the RR).
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 11-04-2008, 05:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

What size rear sway bar do you have, what type of torque arm do you have, what year V6 car did the rear springs come from? Get some LCA relocation brackets, make sure you get the tires at proper opperating temp, get a tunnel mounted torque arm. A larger rear bar will help keep you much straighter (a 25mm tends to work nicely). After that start changing your shock settings to attempt to get the car more consistant, you will also want to change the setting in the relocation brackets (the middle option tends to be a good starting point). Some year V6 springs were the same as V8 springs so you need to know that you got the softer springs. I'm a lot more accustom to cornering though so hopefully more people with more drag experience will jump in here as well.