Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Stock Wheels & Suspension With Wheel Rubbing issues.....

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2017, 10:31 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Stock Wheels & Suspension With Wheel Rubbing issues.....

Hi,

I recently picked up a 98 SS with the stock optional SLP Level Two Suspension (original with 94k), with the stock (not aftermarket 17x9.5) GM 17x9 Zr-1 wheels and brand new BFGoodrich G-Force Comp 2 A/S 275/40 serious stock size tires. Ever since I've owned the car, if I am making a U-turn or parking in tight spots where I have to turn the wheel almost to full rotation, the tires rub on the front (closest to the front bumper) wheel well liner. I can see on the liner where the tires leave a mark, which is in the same spot and same size on each side. This is driving me nuts.

The car has never been hit, has had a recent alignment performed at a Chevy dealer where the front end was inspected, showing nothing being worn out, and the car drives straight down the road, I'm at a loss. I also took it to another shop for a front-end inspection and they too stated that the ball-joints, tie-rod ends, etc, are all fine. The only part I've replaced myself in the front-end, are the sway bar bushings and end links, which are Moog heavy duty variants.

I've been told that it may be my shocks (again, 94k Bilsteins) that are becoming soft and when I make a sharp turn the cars weight transfers on the top of the shock causing them to sag more then they should. I also wonder that since the car has the level two suspension with the Eibach springs, that they too may be getting soft. I've been debating about just swapping out the shocks and springs with koni's and Strano springs, but I'd be disappointed if by swapping these parts out that it doesn't solve the wheel well rubbing issue. I'm just reaching out to see if anyone else has had this issue and what they had done to correct it. Thank you for any help guys.
Old 12-24-2017, 11:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I have the stock 17x9 ZR1 wheels with 275/40/17's on my 2000 SS, and even lowered on BMR springs and Koni STR.T's I get no rubbing at all. Something is definitely off
Old 12-24-2017, 11:19 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You might get into the wheel well and see if you can push liner up further. I took panhead screws and screwed mine up as tight as it would go to increase clearance. BTW is it rubbing on inside or outside?
Old 12-26-2017, 12:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If you do some additional research you'll find that the eibach springs will sag over time. If you like the car lowered, I'd recommend Strano springs and Koni str.t shocks. I have that combo and it handles great, no rubbing, and I've got 17" zr1's with 275/40-17's on front.
Old 12-26-2017, 12:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do not be concerned. I have a same thing with my car 285/35/18 on +38 offset wheels on Strano springs.

I would say it "kisses" the liner vs a "rub" full lock. It can barely be heard. Only reason I know is because wash my wheel-wells and noticed the scratches. I'd say there is no chance it would cause any real issue
Old 12-26-2017, 02:35 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the reply's guys. STP001, it's on the inner wheel well closest to the front bumper. DOJOB, it sounds like yours is not as big of a deal as mine. Mine is an actual rub, which causes passengers to question what is wrong with my car, it's very noticeable, not a "kiss" by any means. It sounds like my liner is going to be ripped out of the car. Plus, I'm still on the stock wheels, I may just end up biting the bullet and having the dealer diagnose it before I start spending money on all these parts.
Old 12-26-2017, 03:25 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,490 Likes on 1,072 Posts

I'll agree with the above posts that the issue is likely related to either spring sag or shock behavior under certain conditions. Mine has developed this same issue over the years as well (I have OEM spec 17x9", 50mm offset SS wheels with 275/40/17 tires mounted against stock brake rotors and 100% stock shocks/springs/bushings), though it didn't always do this. When I first put these 17x9 wheels on back in ~2005, it was fine. Sometime around ~2011/2012 I would say, it started having this minor rub at full lock from time to time. Just enough to scuff the liner a bit and, like dojob above, I only noticed this because I clean the wheel wells after every drive/show. In the last couple of years it's gotten a bit worse, and from time to time I can hear it more noticeably - but still only on very sharp, low speed turns, and the mark that it leaves is actually pretty minor regardless of the sound. I know that nothing is structurally wrong with the car because this developed over the years I've owned it without any collisions or changes to the wheels/tires. So it must be related to natural deterioration of some suspension component or components.
Old 12-26-2017, 07:35 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My car does it. SS 10 spokes with 275/40-17's and Strano's and Koni Yellows. For what could be causing it, I know I need to replace my bushings. I'll do that and I think my issue will go away. I did get an alignment and they didn't mention anything about bushings, but when I did a good inspection while swapping my engine, well, yeah. They're shot.
Old 12-26-2017, 09:20 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

High caster settings can cause this, but also BFG's tend to run wide, and when you turn that means the tire sticks forward more at the location that rubs.

None the less I know you would like my springs and good shocks better.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 12-26-2017, 11:12 PM
On The Tree

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

It doesn't really solve the issue of why it's rubbing when it shouldn't be, but you could always use spacers / adapters to bring the wheels out closer to flush with your fenders. It's all personal taste, but IMO it looks better, and it would alleviate the rubbing on the inside of the wheel.

Like I said it doesn't really explain what's up with your car, but if mechanics are saying everything is sound and you're happy otherwise, it's probably the cheapest and easiest way to fix it. Otherwise you're just throwing money at new shocks, springs, bushings, etc in the hopes that it helps.
Old 12-27-2017, 10:34 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BGM, before going to a dealership, I swear I would take out the few screws that hold that liner in, and see if it can't be lifted up, and spread out a little. You might have to drill a few new holes to reinstall attachment screws, but it just might solve your issue. I manipulated mine enough to fit 305/19 tires up front without rubbing.
Old 01-02-2018, 01:21 PM
Staging Lane

Thank you all for the suggestions/tips. Once it warms up out here in Colorado, I'll be trying a few things and if I solve it, I'll be sure to post what worked. I hope everyone has a great 2018!
Old 02-23-2018, 08:48 AM
Staging Lane

Hey all,

I thought I'd post an update to this post. So I broke down and took the car to the dealer, it just ended up being the lower control arm bushings on both sides. I've had the car back for a few days and can happily say, that there is no more rubbing and that the car drives and rides a whole lot better. So check those bushings guys!
Old 02-23-2018, 10:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

glad you were able to get the problem resolved.
Old 02-23-2018, 03:55 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,490 Likes on 1,072 Posts

Thanks for coming back with the update, folks don't always remember to do this.

Glad it's fixed.

Quick Reply: Stock Wheels & Suspension With Wheel Rubbing issues.....