Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Spring suggestions for drag racing - details inside

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 11:17 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Spring suggestions for drag racing - details inside

Hey guys,

Im trying to figure out what spring to run on the front, and the only answer i get is "stock ones should be fine"

My car damn near bottoms out with the stock springs up front.

Setup is a 418ci iron block motor... vic jr intake and elbow

Trans is a 4l80

Rear end is an iron 9" with 3.50's

Motor makes ~630 at the flywheel on motor and gona spray 300 total to it.

Stock springs and shocks on all 4 corners... both swaybars removed.

Tubular K-member, a-arms, torque arm, panhard bar, lower control arms.

Prostars 3.5's and 10's... 26" tire in front... 325 drag radial in rear.

I tried just driving around how it was and the front air dam scrapes when i brake hard. The headers even have some dents in the collectors where it scraped.

If there is any more info you need to help me make this decision please let me know. I would love for a shop to PM me so i can get these on the way... car is about ready to rock and roll and this has to get taken care of.
Old 11-25-2008, 11:46 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

It should be pointed out a stock LT1 engine was iron blocked too.... LS1 springs are a bit lighter (but also a little taller to start). Stock LT1 springs should be fine to support the mass if you can grab some.

Now, I don't really get what the goal here is. Clearly hooking is one, but generally a setup that will weight transfer is one that is quite soft in the front (like you already are). And you should have at least a stock rear bar on the back of the car to help keep it leaving straight (and many run larger rear bars for that reason. With your power you'll need help there.

And finally, shock are what keep the weight of the car from moving around unchecked and too quickly. Stock shocks are quite poor dampers, and that lack fo damping allows weight to move too quickly and can overwhelm the springs. Add the poor damping of stock shocks to the heavier engine and the age of the shocks (assuming miles to go with that age) and it's not a great combination.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 11-25-2008, 12:23 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks for the reply.

I dont mind spending what it takes to get the correct setup in there.

I already have strange adjustable shocks in the rear (just not installed yet), and they are setup to take a coil-over spring if need be.

Im kind of lost on where i need to go and what its going to take to get the car lined out. Drag racing is all i care to do... and want it to hook especially on the street.

I have an airbag in the right rear... if thats not enough i thought about going with an anti-rollbar. The car still needs a cage, but figured it may be the best option once the cage is in there.

This car isn't a daily driver, but will always get driven back and forth to the track (100miles) etc, so that has to be kept in mind.

Sam do you offer the kind of stuff that i need, or do you only deal with road race? Do we have all the info that you need, or will we just have to take it one step at a time and possibly change them?

Ideall if the stock springs let the front end sit about 1 1/2-2" higher, i dont think the "softness" would matter.
Old 11-25-2008, 12:33 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I can do drag oriented stuff as well. We have drag springs and shocks too. I don't list them on my website.

I really can't get a good sense of what to recommend without being able to speak to you. For instance, I wonder what your ride height is to start with, and would need to know that to know how or if we can get you 1.5-2" up.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 11-25-2008, 12:37 PM
TECH Resident

Here is the car now...

Not sure if that helps.

Im at work right now so i cant really call... but i can maybe a little later
Old 11-25-2008, 01:05 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

It's not sitting all that low in the front... A little, and much of that is because the rear is a bit high, tilting the front down, and an actual measurement on the tire diameter would be good so see how much it's responsible for. I know you said they are 26" tall, but there is fudge factor there and a shorter tire will drop the car through no fault of the suspension.

Old 11-25-2008, 01:35 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by z28mccrory
Hey guys,

Im trying to figure out what spring to run on the front, and the only answer i get is "stock ones should be fine"

My car damn near bottoms out with the stock springs up front.

Setup is a 418ci iron block motor... vic jr intake and elbow

Trans is a 4l80

Rear end is an iron 9" with 3.50's

Motor makes ~630 at the flywheel on motor and gona spray 300 total to it.

Stock springs and shocks on all 4 corners... both swaybars removed.

Tubular K-member, a-arms, torque arm, panhard bar, lower control arms.

Prostars 3.5's and 10's... 26" tire in front... 325 drag radial in rear.

I tried just driving around how it was and the front air dam scrapes when i brake hard. The headers even have some dents in the collectors where it scraped.

If there is any more info you need to help me make this decision please let me know. I would love for a shop to PM me so i can get these on the way... car is about ready to rock and roll and this has to get taken care of.
Hello, since you have strange going in the rear i would suggest you put strange single or double adjustable coil overs in the front with the 325lb springs. It will hold the car up and you will be able to adjust your ride height. You are going to get better et's at the track with a true drag shock on the car. We have a really good price on the strange shocks. If you would like to give us a call we can go over all the little details. Drag oriented suspension setups and parts are our specialty.

http://www.bmrfabrication.com/F4.htm
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 11-25-2008, 01:56 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
It's not sitting all that low in the front... A little, and much of that is because the rear is a bit high, tilting the front down, and an actual measurement on the tire diameter would be good so see how much it's responsible for. I know you said they are 26" tall, but there is fudge factor there and a shorter tire will drop the car through no fault of the suspension.
I wasn't sure how to get the rear down without causing bigger problems. Right now i have very little clearance for the tires, even with the 7/16 spacer im running.

I will try to get a true measurement of the front tire and let you know.

I have driven the car around with it like this, and it really needs to either get stiffer or higher, because i cant stand it scraping so much.

Quick Reply: Spring suggestions for drag racing - details inside