Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Tranny mounted + relocation vs tunnel mounted

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2008, 01:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Tranny mounted + relocation vs tunnel mounted

i have purchased a tunnel mounted UMI torque arm and i am considering selling it to get a tranny mounted with a relocation kit. i haven't even installed the torque arm that i have yet. however, i am looking for a quiet ride. i do not care about handling. i do go to the drag strip once a year or so. the main reason why i want to switch is because i have been told there is much less noise with the tranny mounted/relocation kit. i don't want more racket if the tunnel mounted arms are more noisy like i have been reading. any suggestions?
Old 11-28-2008, 01:49 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For anything street driven i'd go with transmission mounted adjustable torque arm
Old 11-28-2008, 04:18 AM
12 Second Club

Seems like you can have the low noise/ride quality with the relocation kit, plus the added benefit of not breaking your tailshaft.

Anyone installed one? Its on my xmas list.
Old 11-28-2008, 04:54 AM
11 Second Club

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

I have the Tunnel Mounted one, and I'm looking into a way to buffer it when I get the Car back together. There has to be a way to quiet it down..
Old 11-28-2008, 05:57 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by the_merv
I have the Tunnel Mounted one, and I'm looking into a way to buffer it when I get the Car back together. There has to be a way to quiet it down..
I have a spohn tunnel mount.. I don't notice that much noise, a little clunk here and there.. Maybe I've just grown used to it...
Old 11-28-2008, 09:14 AM
KBG
Launching!

i have the BMR full length adjustable torque arm with relocation crossmember and it gives a pretty good vibration in the center console at highway speeds

you got to figure your torque arm is bolted from the rear end directly to the floorpan of the car so your going to feel something.......I'm actually thinking of taking mine off and putting it back on the transmission
Old 11-28-2008, 12:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fraser@SpeedInc
For anything street driven i'd go with transmission mounted adjustable torque arm

by this are you meaning to not even use the relocation kit? i don't really understand what the purpose to get an aftermarket torque arm is then if you are going to keep it mounted to the tranny? i know they are stronger but i am not sure this will come into play if you have it bolted to the tranny. is it just for the adjustability?
Old 11-28-2008, 12:29 PM
KBG
Launching!

Originally Posted by cals400ex
by this are you meaning to not even use the relocation kit? i don't really understand what the purpose to get an aftermarket torque arm is then if you are going to keep it mounted to the tranny? i know they are stronger but i am not sure this will come into play if you have it bolted to the tranny. is it just for the adjustability?
he is saying on a street driven car it's better to have it on the tranny and the crossmember is not really that necessary unless you plan on dragging the car all of the time......yes mostly for adjustability and strength.....if you do a search you will find all kinds of pics of mangled stock torque arms
Old 11-28-2008, 01:26 PM
Staging Lane

does it help to tie the tunnel mounted setup into your subframe connectors? ive been in a few cars with the tunnel mounts and they vibrate pretty good but i really like having it mounted that way.
Old 11-28-2008, 01:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

also, does a tunnel mounted driveshaft safety loop fit these fine (referring to the relocation kit + an adjustable torque arm)? i am on strano springs so i didn't know if that would affect the fit any either.
Old 11-28-2008, 02:06 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by cals400ex
also, does a tunnel mounted driveshaft safety loop fit these fine (referring to the relocation kit + an adjustable torque arm)? i am on strano springs so i didn't know if that would affect the fit any either.
I'm running qa1 springs.. Here's how my spohn w/safety loop looks.. Only issue I had was clearing my 4" exhaust.. A little heat and all was well..

Old 11-28-2008, 02:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have an adjustable torque arm with the reloaction kit and im liking it so far. It does make some noise but im not entirely sure i set the pinion angle correctly. If it does end up coming from the relocation kit i wonder if there is a rubber torque arm bushing that could be bought to replace the poly one with, if someone is that concerned with console noise.
Old 11-28-2008, 06:59 PM
11 Second Club

I've had both, tunnel mounted and tranny+relocation mount. They're both too noisy for me. Took the relocation mount off and put it back on the tranny. Anyone wants a relocation mount I got one, make offer.
Old 11-28-2008, 07:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

how much quieter was the relocation vs the tunnel mount? the more i read the more i think that i am wasting my time with the relocation bracket. i mean, i already have a brand new in the box tunnel mounted setup. if it is too loud i guess i will just buy another and mount it on the tranny. i just hate to leave one mounted on the tranny...
Old 11-30-2008, 02:22 AM
TECH Addict

I was set on a Tranny mounted TQ arm and also get the Relocation bracket but some of you guys are scaring me with the makes noise statements
Old 12-03-2008, 01:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeah i am in the same boat. thus, i didn't order anything yet.
Old 12-23-2008, 03:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

just installed BMR LCA, NonAdj. tourque arm/trans crossmember,upper panhard...Spohn tunnel brace, lower panhard. the car is a little rougher and noiser than before but it hooks and books like never before also
Old 12-23-2008, 07:16 PM
TECH Regular

If you're interested in 60' times go with the tunnel mounted torque arm. If moves the rear axle thrust instant center that much further back in the chassis gaining more downforce on the tires. Anytime you alter the mounting from stock you increase noise, harshness, and vibration so moving it to the transmission crossmember isn't much if any better than the tunnel mount.

For ultimate handling and road racing run a long torque arm mounted independently to the crossmember.

If you are stressed on the NVH levels then run stock mounts (rubber) with an adjustable torque arm and be prepaired to inspect and replace mounts more often with raceing or high power use.

Vernon

Quick Reply: Tranny mounted + relocation vs tunnel mounted