Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

brakes still drag...

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 11:46 AM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Default brakes still drag...

My front brakes don't want to release all the way. After the brakes have been applied and I jack the front of the car up the front wheels will only make about 1/4-1/2 a turn if I try to spin them.

I rebuilt my calipers, that didn't fix it... so I just replaced my calipers... and it still does it. If the calipers aren't on the rotor everything spins very freely. Also the pads and rotors are brand new too, so no problem there. Opening the bleeder doesn't seem to effect it, which makes me think it's a caliper problem... but like I said they're brand new and they do the same thing the old ones did. I'm at a loss really.

I guess my next step is to replace the stock lines with SS, but with this much money into the problem already I would appreciate any input as to what my problem might be.
Old 11-30-2008, 07:23 PM
TECH Regular

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

I had that same problem with a chevy pickup not long ago. Except only one side was doing it. I replaced the caliper and it still did it. Replaced the both hoses and it fixed it.
Old 11-30-2008, 09:18 PM
On The Tree

yeah I'm running out of options really... I guess I'll end up getting some lines but it just seems odd that opening the bleeder doesn't seem to loosen it up at all.
Old 11-30-2008, 10:06 PM
TECH Regular

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Try loosening up the brake line at the caliper end to see if it releases pressure.
Old 12-01-2008, 07:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^ that might help, but if the calipers are new then they should release with the bleeder open. Do the caliper pins slide in and out easy?
Old 12-01-2008, 09:31 PM
On The Tree

yeah the pins seem to be fine. I could slide the caliper on them pretty easy with the old one and the new one. I'll try to pull the line off the back and check it out again tomorrow night, this problem has been going on so long I've lost motivation to work on it, hah. The new calipers re-used the old brackets though, so I need to double check that too since the pins go into it. I just can't imagine it still being a caliper problem since the new ones seem to make no difference.
Old 12-01-2008, 09:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah I dont think its a caliper problem. I dont think ive ever gotten a bad caliper out of the box. I guess it could be the lines, but im confused because the bleeder doesn't relieve the pressure. How much drag is on the wheels after you release the brakes?
Old 12-01-2008, 10:02 PM
On The Tree

I'll try to get a video of it... it's definitely way more than it should be, I have to try pretty hard to even rotate the wheel. I was starting to think it was all in my head until I had another camaro up in the air a week or so ago and that behaved exactly like it should. I don't think my rears drag at all if that helps at all...
Old 12-01-2008, 10:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

hhmmm... i just read the original post again and thats definately not normal. Sometimes it's hard to diagnose without being with the car.
Old 12-03-2008, 06:33 PM
On The Tree

alright, so tonight I went for round 17 with this crap...

opened the bleeder and pulled the line off the back, and that changed absolutely nothing.

I think it might be the pistons sticking? that seems very odd with two brand new calipers and they're both doing it... but what else can it be? the slide pins move very freely and are lubed properly.

I've got to say I'm very tired of dealing with this...
Old 12-03-2008, 06:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeah I would be tired of it too. When you compress the caliper all the way, how much room is there between the pads and the rotor? it has to be in the caliper somewhere, because with the line disconnected it is eliminating the rest of the system.
Old 12-03-2008, 06:55 PM
On The Tree

There isn't a lot of room when fully compressed. When I push the pistons back in and mount everything it spins great (like it should) but then as soon as I hit the brake pedal it'll be tight again. Also I first found this problem when I had worn out front pads and rotors, so there was a ton of room then.

The bracket wasn't included with replacing the caliper, though the slide pins were so I cleaned where the pins go in and put a bit of lube in there. They seem to move very freely, it just seems like the pistons won't retract at all but they aren't that hard to push back in manually.
Old 12-04-2008, 12:15 AM
12 Second Club

Warped rotors? I have seen a lot of cheap rotors being warped from the factory from either improper storage or machining.
Old 12-04-2008, 08:03 AM
On The Tree

I doubt the old ones and the new ones would both be equally warpped, and it's a constant drag. but i'll try to bring it into work and check the runout
Old 12-04-2008, 08:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

maybe it's a PA thing because mine does the same thing. i put brembo blanks+hawk hps pads and it made no difference. i pulled the lines and completely flushed the system with no luck. if you figure it out let me know, i think that may be the 1 tenth i need to run my 11.5x
Old 12-04-2008, 09:11 AM
12 Second Club

Wheel bearings?????? That is definitely not normal as my buddies 2001 ws6 50K miles does not do this. I can spin his tire and it will go around at least 5-10 times before it stops. My car is more like yours tho i get about 1-3 spins out of it when i spin it, but my car is 156,000 miles and lt1 calipers. I remember this very well because i am always working/ drooling on his car.
Old 12-04-2008, 09:42 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GMRL
I had that same problem with a chevy pickup not long ago. Except only one side was doing it. I replaced the caliper and it still did it. Replaced the both hoses and it fixed it.
This happened on my old car. Same fix.
Old 12-04-2008, 04:03 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by outkast6991
maybe it's a PA thing because mine does the same thing. i put brembo blanks+hawk hps pads and it made no difference. i pulled the lines and completely flushed the system with no luck. if you figure it out let me know, i think that may be the 1 tenth i need to run my 11.5x
yeah seriously... i want to know how much this is slowing me down at the track too.

Originally Posted by Jditlfm
Wheel bearings?????? That is definitely not normal as my buddies 2001 ws6 50K miles does not do this. I can spin his tire and it will go around at least 5-10 times before it stops. My car is more like yours tho i get about 1-3 spins out of it when i spin it, but my car is 156,000 miles and lt1 calipers. I remember this very well because i am always working/ drooling on his car.
Originally Posted by giiventofly
If the calipers aren't on the rotor everything spins very freely.
1-3 spins would be a nice improvement

Originally Posted by dragonrage
This happened on my old car. Same fix.
yeah, but I can remove the line and open the bleeder and it still holds... so that should rule out the lines, right?
Old 12-04-2008, 05:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by giiventofly
yeah, but I can remove the line and open the bleeder and it still holds... so that should rule out the lines, right?
yeah, I suppose it would.
Old 12-04-2008, 09:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had the same problem after I painted my engine compartment and replaced my brake booster. It took me forever to track my problem of my brakes not releasing fully and maybe this will help you. I had a booster from another F body that was off the car so I painted it and just swapped them out. after I got the car together and I was driving it i noticed i had a lot of drag on the brakes (mostly the fronts but I have a bias adjuster) i checked all the usual things,(calipers, hoses, ect) for the hell of it i jacked the car up and started it and i was pumping the brakes to see if they would release and had no luck. for ***** and giggles i pulled the vacume line and check valve out of the booster and IT RELEASED THE WHEELS! the moral of the story is your booster could be your issue, try loosening up the 2 bolts that hold your master cyl. onto the booster and see if that helps, if so you may have to sdjust the booster or shim the master. GOOD LUCK!!

Quick Reply: brakes still drag...