Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

driver side front brake pads dragging

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 10:39 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default driver side front brake pads dragging

i just did a brake job on friday car sat saturday, start driving home hear a dragging sound didn't happen on friday after i took it out for a test spin... drive about 150 miles (i had to drive home) and when i park it i notice that caliper rotor and wheel is way hotter than the rest... now i'm wondering what could have made it drag like this??? i did all the other ones and they came out fine so if anyone has advice on what to look for to try to get it to stop dragging? the sliding pins should be fine as the front calipers i only removed the top bolt and pivotted it on the bottom pin/bolt any help would be greatly appreciated... yes i know i shoulda fixed it before i started driving but i didn't have tools available and i thought it would wear down if anything to stop dragging... guess i was wrong and am looking for advice on what to look for
Old 11-30-2008, 10:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Calipers are binding. You need to take the calipers apart, lubricate the slider pins and friction surfaces with brake lub and reassemble.
Old 11-30-2008, 10:54 PM
Staging Lane

sounds like a bad brake line,if not in caliper.
Old 11-30-2008, 11:09 PM
Launching!

hopefully it's what cwblackta said, as that would be the simplest fix... also is it normal for the new pads to smell like excuse the shitty example... a welding smell??? as i have that going on... cousin said it smelled like a burning clutch... but it didn't smell like that until i replaced the pads??? also from dragging the brakes on that side for over 150 miles do any harm??? it wasn't bad if i let go of the throttle and wheel it wouldn't pull to that side??? just barely dragging... thank you all who have answered and lets get some more input
Old 12-01-2008, 09:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Clean everything thoroughly with brake cleaner and lube up the pins and see if that cures anything.
Also check to see that the rotor thickness isn't way out of sync.

Quick Reply: driver side front brake pads dragging