Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Power Steering Cooler, Where can I get one?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 12:33 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Steering Cooler, Where can I get one?

I'm looking for a power steering cooler, basically the OEM type that came on the SS camaro's and WS6 T/A's. Is there a sponsor on here that sells them or a place where I could find a used one? Thanks
Old 12-02-2008, 05:45 PM
Restricted User

I have sean them on Ebay.
Old 12-02-2008, 05:58 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

oem type sucks. waste of money --> make your own
Old 12-02-2008, 07:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Question: Why do you need a power steering cooler?
Old 12-02-2008, 08:13 PM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get a different one than the oem. That cooler is a joke. So funny is the joke that I threw it away. Holla.
Old 12-02-2008, 08:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

I bypassed mine when i did my APS build !
Old 12-03-2008, 01:15 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by z28bryan
Question: Why do you need a power steering cooler?
My SS has one but I'm wanting one for my 98 Z-28 which I'm setting up for autocrossing and road racing. I figured it would be a good thing to have for track duty. Whether or not it helps any I don't know.
Old 12-03-2008, 08:41 AM
TECH Junkie

I used to have a whiney power steering pump. I was contemplating getting a cooler or the turn-one PS pump. Though I tried just swapping to Redline PS fluid and I've gone two years without my car whining one bit. Saved myself a ton of money.

I would try this first. If a Redline fluid swap prevents the car from ever whining, then problem solved, right? If you still have problems after that, you didn't really lose anything... 8-10 bucks maybe.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:00 AM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used to have a whiney power steering pump. I was contemplating getting a cooler or the turn-one PS pump. Though I tried just swapping to Redline PS fluid and I've gone two years without my car whining one bit. Saved myself a ton of money.

I would try this first. If a Redline fluid swap prevents the car from ever whining, then problem solved, right? If you still have problems after that, you didn't really lose anything... 8-10 bucks maybe.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

i got one off ebay. just make sure you use compressed air to blow out any left over fluid. I cleaned mine up and painted it with high temp aluminum paint.
Old 12-03-2008, 11:47 AM
On The Tree

I'll check out ebay and see what I can find again. I looked the other day but didn't see anything. The dealer wants $175.00 for an OEM cooler but I figured **** I'll just go down to the Hot Rod Barn in Knoxville and buy a standard cooler and mount it somewhere for less money. Might work better, who knows.
Old 12-03-2008, 12:00 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got one coming out shortly if you can hold on. It will also have a remote tank setup, polished aluminum. Its almost complete. It will be a plug and play kit. Very soon ...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/new-produ...reservoir.html
Old 12-04-2008, 12:08 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Urban Legend
Why are you confused?
Old 12-04-2008, 07:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Why are you confused?
you were talking about a whiney pump. The op wants to know about coolers, not how to solve a whine.
Old 12-04-2008, 09:30 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by whitdog54
you were talking about a whiney pump. The op wants to know about coolers, not how to solve a whine.
Ok... so you have some PS fluid, drive on your stock ps system really hard and say it gets really hot due to no ps cooler there. It causes it to whine. If you leave it like that, it will probably crap out at some point.

So basically he wants his power steering system working well and not causing any problems when he's racing, right? You can probably do 1 of 3 things to start with.

1. First try a simple fluid change and put a really good fluid like Redline in there. Probably cost you 10 bucks and very easy to do.
2. Get a power steering cooler. Not sure how much it costs but it's probably more expensive and more work.
3. Get a turn one pump if you want to cut to the chase. Those are at least 250-270 bucks.

I was thinking about getting the cooler and or turn one pump myself, but just put in Redline PS fluid and my car hasn't whined since then for 2 years. It was doing it after 2 laps prior to that. If he's dead set still on putting in a cooler then that's fine. I just thought I would share this fact that if you can save yourself some money and still accomplish your goal, then win win situation right? If he's going to do hardcore road racing then yeah he will probably want something more than just Redline fluid. Autox he probably won't need it.

EDIT: finished an incomplete sentence

Last edited by z28bryan; 12-04-2008 at 12:38 PM.
Old 12-04-2008, 10:29 AM
Banned

Ok... so you have some PS fluid, drive on your stock ps system really hard and say it gets really hot due to no ps cooler there. It causes it to whine. If you leave it like that, it will probably crap out at some point.

So basically he wants his power steering system working well and not causing any problems when he's racing, right? You can probably do 1 of 3 things to start with.

1. First try a simple fluid change and put a really good fluid like Redline in there. Probably cost you 10 bucks and very easy to do.
2. Get a power steering cooler. Not sure how much it costs but it's probably more expensive and more work.
3. Get a turn one pump if you want to cut to the chase. Those are at least 250-270 bucks.

I was thinking about getting the cooler and or turn one pump myself, but just put in Redline PS fluid and my car hasn't whined since then for 2 years. It was doing it after 2 laps prior to that. If he's dead set still on putting in a cooler then that's fine. I just thought I would share this fact that if you can save yourself some money and still accomplish your goal. If he's going to do hardcore road racing then yeah he will probably want something more than just Redline fluid. Autox he probably won't need it.

Good post, excellent information
Old 12-04-2008, 02:07 PM
On The Tree

I was thinking about getting the cooler and or turn one pump myself, but just put in Redline PS fluid and my car hasn't whined since then for 2 years. It was doing it after 2 laps prior to that. If he's dead set still on putting in a cooler then that's fine. I just thought I would share this fact that if you can save yourself some money and still accomplish your goal, then win win situation right? If he's going to do hardcore road racing then yeah he will probably want something more than just Redline fluid. Autox he probably won't need it.

EDIT: finished an incomplete sentence

I'll give that a try rather than blowing a bunch of money then. Mainly the car will be driven hard at autocrosses but whenever I get the spare time and money I'd like to take it to a road course and run it. I just wanted a little peace of mind. So far I haven't had any issues with the power steering even when I beat on the car on these mountain roads. Just trying to be proactive.
Old 12-04-2008, 02:30 PM
TECH Resident

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
Old 12-04-2008, 02:39 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by fortmyerspolice
Very similar to the one that will be featured in my kit Not the same mfg though
Old 12-04-2008, 07:12 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I am also wondering, "why bother"? No other vehicle I
have ever owned, had a PS cooler. Of course no other
one had a plastic pump reservoir either...

But what's wrong with hacking the low pressure hose
and just using a regular oil or trans cooler? Shedding
any unnecessary heat into the girly little radiator (no
offense to the ladies) is not helping.

Quick Reply: Power Steering Cooler, Where can I get one?