Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Springs/Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 01:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Springs/Shocks

My next big project is my transmission and rear but i want to take a little time to change out some things that have been bothering me. Who ever had the car before me installed a set of extremely low springs. When i mean extremely low i mean i am low to even guys that are running drop springs. The car rides like crap and is extremely rough over bumps almost like some one cut the springs. The car is normally only driven to shows and back and forth to the track so i do not mind giving up some driving manners but i do want a good set up thats firm and good in the curves with out braking the bank. So my question is what is a good spring/shock set up for the SS/WS6 that overs good performance with a fair ride height.
Old 12-21-2008, 01:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

if you wanna do the absolute best then go with strano springs and koni adj shocks. koni's are gonna set you back about a grand alone but from what i hear there is nothing else like them. I for one cant afford those so im going with KYB AGX adj shocks which are around $360. Strano currently has his shocks being delivered i think tomorrow or tuesday, last i heard 60 of the 100 sets he ordered have already been paid for and that was a few days ago. his **** goes fast. Sam Strano is the king of autocross in the f-body community, i suggest talking to him more depth.
Old 12-21-2008, 02:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by cbr600rx7
My next big project is my transmission and rear but i want to take a little time to change out some things that have been bothering me. Who ever had the car before me installed a set of extremely low springs. When i mean extremely low i mean i am low to even guys that are running drop springs. The car rides like crap and is extremely rough over bumps almost like some one cut the springs. The car is normally only driven to shows and back and forth to the track so i do not mind giving up some driving manners but i do want a good set up thats firm and good in the curves with out braking the bank. So my question is what is a good spring/shock set up for the SS/WS6 that overs good performance with a fair ride height.
Depends on how far you want to go. For looks do you want to be lowered or do you want to be at stock ride height? (these cars do not need to be lowered to handle, they just need better shocks).
The easiest thing to do is call up Sam Strano like already suggested.
Hes a sponsor on here: www.stranoparts.com
Old 12-21-2008, 02:33 PM
TECH Junkie

The OP looks like he's setup for drag if he's got a methanol kit. I'm assuming he's going for hardcore drag racing?
Old 12-21-2008, 03:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by z28bryan
The OP looks like he's setup for drag if he's got a methanol kit. I'm assuming he's going for hardcore drag racing?
He is right i should have said something about it in the first post. She is more or less 1/4 mile only. I dont mind a stiff spring i just want to get off the ground and not fill like i am riding on cut springs.
Old 12-21-2008, 03:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

im not sure on springs but i think the drag guys go with QA1's for shocks.
Old 12-23-2008, 10:13 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Strange is the best bang for the buck and a easy to install/adjust setup. Afco is probably one of the best on the market, but among the most costly, also. either are streetable. Afco comes with a spherical bearing upper mount conversion which is mainly setup for racing. the Strange has either the stock upper mount or coil-over spring available. QA1 is ok, but more costly than Strange and not near the quality of the other two.