Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Just had suspension installed, got major problems, need help

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2003, 11:05 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just had suspension installed, got major problems, need help

I was thinking of asking this question in another thread but did'nt want to hijack it so...

First off, I don't race the car so I'm more interested in looks right now...with that being said let me explain the situation.

I had a local guy install eibach pro-kit, adj. phr, weld-in rel brackets and weld in subframes.

First, the car sits really uneven. The front is about 1/2" to a full inch higher than the rear, and the left side sits a 1/2" higher than the right side.

There is a banging sound coming from the rear every time I go over a bump. If it's a little bump it's a little bang, a big bump makes a big bang LOL .

If I take a right hand turn with any speed at all, the left rear rubs.

So basically, the car looks like ****, something in the rear is banging and it rubs. Other than that it's great! LMAO. It's not that funny though, I'm pissed

I asked the guy why it sat so uneven, he said the springs would settle...it's been a few weeks and a couple hundred miles, has'nt changed a bit.

He said he set the phr in the middle and set the rel. brackets on the lowest setting. Is that correct?

What could the banging be? I was thinking one of the shocks could be loose, but you don't have to take the shocks out in the rear do you? (I was'nt there to see)

I'm fairly new to this stuff (as you can probably tell).

I need help guys.
Old 10-01-2003, 11:29 AM
On The Tree

Default Re: Just had suspension installed, got major problems, need help

The banging could be the SFC's. I have the weld in BMR's and they actually get bolted onto the lca. If the bolt is not tight enough than the connecter will bang on bump. In the diirections it says you may need to tighten the bolts to 90lbs! As far as unevenness maybe he did not istall the springs or connecters right. Sorry I cant be of more help.
Old 10-01-2003, 02:27 PM
DV8
TECH Enthusiast

The front being lower than the rear might be the 'normal' rake that comes with our cars. You could probably remove the spring pad from the rear to lower the rear some.

The rubbing might be from the PHB not be adjusted correctly and might also cause your car to look higher on one side. The banging might also be from the PHB having loose lock bolts which allow for it to shake within itself. I had that problem with the BMR PHB.

I also used to get some banging from the SFC's before I tightened them down. I'm going to tack weld mine when I get my welder.
Old 10-01-2003, 03:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The springs sit in rubber isolators, both front and rear. The iolators are sloped to match the wind of the spring. Perhaps the isolators are not mated to the springs very well.

The banging culd be any number of things ... loose mounting bolts, loose jam nuts, exhaust ...

The rub is DEFINITELY a misadjusted PHB.

If I take a right hand turn with any speed at all, the left rear rubs.

The PHB is adjusted too short. During a right hand turn, the body will roll and shift to the left in relation to the dif. This will move the inner fender towards the tire and cause a rub. You should see some rub marks on the inside fender well.
Old 10-01-2003, 06:12 PM
Teching In

Okay...no expert here but let's get a few things in line....
1..the FRONT of the car is higher than the back!
Check that the rubber "pad" is still in place..this will account for a bad ride AND about an 3/4 inch of drop.
2..The left side is the driver's side....F-bod's ALL sit about an inch higher on the driver's side.Think of it this way..when you add driver weight it evens out...take a measurement from the top of the wheel well lip to the ground and check both sides.

PHR adjustment will help the rubbing issue....
Old 10-02-2003, 09:14 AM
On The Tree

Yes, the front is about 1" higher than the rear. It looks really stupid.

I thought it might be caused by the relocation brackets being in the bottom position but I'm not sure.

Which rubber pads are you refering to?

The subframes are welded in. I'll check to see the phr is tight as well as the sfc connection to lca.

I know the banging is not the exhaust or anything because it only started after the suspension. I would know if the exhaust was dragging going over speed bumps or something, thats the only problem I have not had LOL.

I will take a measurement from the well to the ground later today to give you guys an exact number.

And how exactly is the phr adjusted?

I appreciate the help guys.
Old 10-02-2003, 01:14 PM
On The Tree

Yes, the bottom bolt on the rear shocks is taken off to allow the axle to drop a little further to get the rear springs out.

Yes, there is a height difference between left & right sides, but nowhere near an inch. The rear left corner of mine drops between 1/4 and 1/2 inch when a 160 lb. driver gets in the car.
Old 10-03-2003, 10:26 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you drop the car you bring the exhaust arch
closer to the axle. There're a lot of close
passes back there between exhaust pipe and PHR,
exhaust & axle. That's a very likely banger, it
did when I installed a Y-pipe on stock height car
and I reckon I'll see it again when I go low. Get
it up in the air but bearing load on the tires
(like 4 ramps) and check the exhaust run with a
1/2" piece of wood; anywhere you can't slip it