Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Struts/shocks. how often should they be changed?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 10:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Struts/shocks. how often should they be changed?

i bought my SS with the Bilsteins on them. not sure how long they where on when i got them. i lowered the car awhile ago and wondering if i am missing out by not changing the strut/shocks. how do you guys check if they are bad...hitting a hole a feeling little to no dampening?
Old 01-13-2009, 10:35 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bilsteins are best matched with stock height springs, so your probably loosing some ride quality right there. That being said it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to swap them out for something adjustable like KYB agx's or Koni's.
Old 01-13-2009, 11:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Negative on the KYB AGX, they are only made to work with the stock springs. I know the Konis are the best ride but they are also a pretty penny. Try talking to Sam Strano he can direct you in the right direction
Old 01-14-2009, 09:10 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would think it would be a combination of how many miles are on the car, as well as how rough the roads are, in your area. The rougher the roads, the more of a workout the suspension will get.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by iceman15
Negative on the KYB AGX, they are only made to work with the stock springs. I know the Konis are the best ride but they are also a pretty penny. Try talking to Sam Strano he can direct you in the right direction
Not true..although they are only good under warranty for stock springs they can handle some lowering springs. Not like the Koni can but it is adj and allows you to play with the settings some and "tune in" to what fels best. Budget shock also sold by Sam.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:38 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 133 Likes on 87 Posts

How often? It depends on a lot things. Mainly how well the shock is built and valved for your tastes. If you like a very taut, responsive car and you slap a set of Monroes on the car, the result won't be what you want. Probably still better than 100k mile stock shocks, but best left for old ratty cars that are used like rentals only to get back and forth to work and where the owner has not sporting notions what so ever.

Stock dampers? The later Z28/Formula/V6 shocks are so bad I dump them as fast as I can. In fact, I did.... my car had 100 miles on it when I put my Koni's on.

As shocks get weaker, the ride suffers and the car is less and less planted (starts to wander more, float, etc).

When do you change shocks? When they don't suit your needs or use well. And fwiw, many shocks that seem to be "worn out" on lowering springs might well not be. A lot of shocks are not valved for lowered cars. Lowering requires more damping force because you have a higher rate spring you are now trying to control in a lesser amount of travel. A shock meant for stock, or low rate/not short lowering springs are an automatic compromise if you are using a higher rate, shorter spring.

And finally OEM Bilstein's that came as an option on SS's. SLP Bilsteins were valved slightly differently back in the day for the SLP springs (which aren't particularly low or stiff). Basically the didn't valve them for the best handling, they valved them to handle decently but not **** anyone off. I hate a bone jarring ride as much as the next guy.... But the OEM/SLP Bilstein's are just a bit too weak on rebound damping and in my mind more tuned to the ride side than the performance side. Funny thing is if we use Koni's and the lower perch setting with stock springs you get a similar drop, control over your level of damping/ride, and ultimately a more responsive car if you opt for more rebound damping (as I do).

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 01-14-2009, 11:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Appears then I need to swap em out then. I am leaning towards performance handling as got the bug for auto crossing and also going to try my hand at a track day.