Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Modifying stock controll arms

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 10:17 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I boxed up my stock control arms but now the stock bushings are whooped, for the price there getting for bushings I can get a new pair or tubular arms for $95 shipped....
Old 01-21-2009, 10:19 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Really, for the sake of arguement, if you know the c/l to c/l length of f body LCA's, can cut, tap, weld, you can crank every variation of these out all day on your own. With what a welder, tap, and chop saw. And a jig to cut fishmouth ends on tubing.
Old 01-21-2009, 10:32 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 9000th01ss
Really, for the sake of arguement, if you know the c/l to c/l length of f body LCA's, can cut, tap, weld, you can crank every variation of these out all day on your own. With what a welder, tap, and chop saw. And a jig to cut fishmouth ends on tubing.
Technically you wouldn't need a jig to cut fish mouths if you knew how to use and angle grinder

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 01-21-2009, 10:49 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by BMR Sales2
Technically you wouldn't need a jig to cut fish mouths if you knew how to use and angle grinder
Or a torch and three rounds with a welder.
Old 01-21-2009, 11:49 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Or a torch and three rounds with a welder.
lol no thanks, I like 1 round with the welder better

Old 01-21-2009, 11:56 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

cut fish mouths
What is that ^^^

for the price there getting for bushings I can get a new pair or tubular arms for $95 shipped....
That is a good point
Old 01-21-2009, 12:18 PM
12 Second Club

About the same differences I noticed with my poly/poly sponsor bought LCA's on my other car.
So would that be any different than stock?
Old 01-21-2009, 12:20 PM
TECH Resident

Wheres a good place to find rubber adjustable ends?
Old 01-21-2009, 01:02 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BMR Sales2
lol no thanks, I like 1 round with the welder better
I'm bustin your ***** you know that right lol.

Originally Posted by 1FSTLS1
So would that be any different than stock?
Yes, it feels different than stock, I kind of avoided the question because I don't know how to put it to words.

Really to answer the original topic, yes it is slightly cheaper to box the stock LCA's and replace the bushings if you have tools, steel, a welder, etc.
I just did it for the hell of it, if I didn't I'd have 100% stock LCA's on that car right now.
And I like to do work like that sometimes. And if I went to aftermaket my loss wouldn't be much.

I honestly can't tell a difference in either car. When I put these in, the shifts hit harder, it'll break third loose when it wouldn't before.
Old 01-21-2009, 01:11 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

I'm bustin your ***** you know that right lol.
lol yeah

Old 01-21-2009, 02:03 PM
12 Second Club

Guess while on the subject may as well ask what the best way is to get them out. Is there any stress on them should I use ramps or jackstands? Jackstans on the rear or on the subframe?
Old 01-21-2009, 02:51 PM
12 Second Club

found some info
http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...ca_install.htm
Old 01-21-2009, 03:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

How much research does it take to buy an aircraft quality set of rod ends, cut and thread the correct length DOM tubing, tap the ends and screw them in?
Maybe Bobby F Body jr can't do it, but anyone with half a brain can.
you know im not a professional fabricator but a damn good one and i have alot of friends that are damn good profossional fabricators that can make anything so i know some **** so get thouse aircraft quality rod ends and your flux wire welder and make some and im ganna buy some made by BMR etc and we can see wich car launches and behaves better

Last edited by witry; 01-21-2009 at 03:46 PM.
Old 01-21-2009, 08:42 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by witry
you know im not a professional fabricator but a damn good one and i have alot of friends that are damn good profossional fabricators that can make anything so i know some **** so get thouse aircraft quality rod ends and your flux wire welder and make some and im ganna buy some made by BMR etc and we can see wich car launches and behaves better
Thats not going to get you a sponsor discount.

You suck at typing BTW <<----cue for hostile retort.
Old 01-21-2009, 11:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thats not going to get you a sponsor discount.

You suck at typing BTW <<----cue for hostile retort.
I could give two ****'s about a discount. Maybe instead on giving your insight here why dont you go teach in a class room sir, so then you can correct all the grammer and spelling you want.
Old 01-22-2009, 12:28 AM
Staging Lane

I'm still wondering, what this "boxing the stock LCA" is good for...?

From my understanding... the job of the LCA's is to transmit longitudinal forces for accelarating and breaking. And for this job, they are robust (will be difficult to compress or stretch them longitudinal).

By boxing these pieces and putting inflexbile Poly-Bushings in, they are more resistive against lateral and rotating forces.

But from my understanding, the LCA's have to ALLOW torsion, because it happens, when one wheel is more or less spring-defleted than the other one. Also lateral movement occurs, when the axle is moving up and down, because the endpoint of the PHB is moving around an arc-line.

It's the PHB's job, to transmit lateral forces... isn't it?

Well, stronger LCA-Bushings may have a positive effect on wheel-hopping, but boxing the LCA's?

Just a little bit confused...

Holger
Old 01-22-2009, 07:55 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by fortmyerspolice
Wheres a good place to find rubber adjustable ends?
bmr,umi,spohn,etc. can do that if you call'em up or you can do jonny joints(do a search on this site)
Old 01-22-2009, 08:12 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Silver99Z28

From my understanding... the job of the LCA's is to transmit longitudinal forces for accelarating and breaking. And for this job, they are robust (will be difficult to compress or stretch them longitudinal).

By boxing these pieces and putting inflexbile Poly-Bushings in, they are more resistive against lateral and rotating forces.

But from my understanding, the LCA's have to ALLOW torsion, because it happens, when one wheel is more or less spring-defleted than the other one. Also lateral movement occurs, when the axle is moving up and down, because the endpoint of the PHB is moving around an arc-line.

Well, stronger LCA-Bushings may have a positive effect on wheel-hopping, but boxing the LCA's?

Holger
well (i'm sure I'll catch flak on what I'm about to post ) depends on really what you want from your suspension(simply put) maximum comfort or maximum traction...less deflection without complete binding of components usually transmits the most torque to the ground all other parts(tires,etc,) being up to the task. Boxing of stock lcas adds rigidity to the stamped thin metal. All I can say from personal experience so far is with the stock 140k rear suspension on my '94 Z that launches and overall handling was unto like a fish moving on a greased surface but once I'd had the pieces changed out(do a search on my username ..not many threads posted by me ..lol ..one locked down ) I can actually feel the car plant and feels more(not completely yet) sure cornering. The two most important pieces in my opinion is the koni sa shocks and the adj. torque arm(making sure to get the relocation transmission mount).
Old 01-22-2009, 08:59 AM
12 Second Club

Holger
Maybe a illistration would be more effective.

Either way I am bored with this cold weather and have no money so I got one done last night. Not sure if I am going to replace the bushings or not. Either way I will feel like it is beter in my head!
Old 01-22-2009, 09:17 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 1FSTLS1
Not sure if I am going to replace the bushings or not. Either way I will feel like it is beter in my head!
replace with moog either stock replacement or the problem solver line(poly)

Quick Reply: Modifying stock controll arms