Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Loud pop when launching resulted in poor traction, think I found it.

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 06:42 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Loud pop when launching resulted in poor traction, think I found it.

About a month ago I was on concrete turning onto a highway and just stood on it. The car was digging out hard and caught 2nd gear, when it did the rear suspension made a loud pop noise. I let off and proceeded with caution but couldn't detect anything. At home I got under the car and looked around but everything was intact. Ever since then the rear has been loose in any turn with any throttle. If coasting I could corner at under steer limits. This has been bugging me and I've been trying to figure it out. Yesterday I was pulling the lower control arms (rod/rod) to install rubber bushing ends on the axle. I was surprised to find the jam-nuts on both chassis ends, as in each side, were completely loose. The rear or axle end jam-nuts were still secure preventing the rods from turning very far. I will be finishing the work this morning but I'm wondering if that was it or should I keep looking while I've got it on the lift and before I get it realigned. Has this happened to anybody else?

Vernon
Old 01-23-2009, 07:09 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Noise!

Hello,

It was probably a good chance that was were your noise came from!......If there is ever a bolt that is loose in the rear end it will be highlighted when you have a load on the rear end! I am surprised it didn't crack the spherical bushing.
Just thought I would through my two cents in. If you have any other questions I will be glad to help!

Thanks Again!
Brad
Old 01-23-2009, 10:02 AM
TECH Regular

Thanks Brad, I found the torque arm to diff bolts needed tightening a slight bit, one more than the other. I'll see how it drives over the weekend.

Vernon
Old 01-23-2009, 10:20 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Hello Vernon,

No Problem, Glad that I could help!

Thanks Again,
Brad
Old 01-25-2009, 12:02 AM
TECH Regular

That was it, traction and control when spinning is back.

Vernon