Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Possible koni problem?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 11:46 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Black02SLPSS
Sorry that was a mistake on my part for not throwing a better description of the problem up. Originally i had taken the front end apart to change the upper shock mounts and i had noticed that it was VERY easy to compress them. Took very little effort. Then when it started to push the piston back out, it barely had enough pressure to do this, especially on the drivers side.
As far as the ride goes, it was VERY rough, like i would venture to say it was bottoming out quite a bit of the time. I replaced them with the stock shocks to test a theory and the ride immediatly smoothed out. I would say probably 99% of the harshness was gone. Not saying the konis wouldnt take all of this out, but from how it was it rode much much better.
The adjusters are fine, and i couldnt see any leaks, but if it has/had a slow gas leak i may not see it?

Where were the shocks set? You can't compare the ride if you have a ton of damping in the Koni's because the stock shocks have much less. Did you try different settings on the Koni's? If the adjusters work and don't freewheel, they haven't been bottomed internally that they are the first things to get smacked.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 02-02-2009, 12:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It didnt really matter where they were set. I originally had them 4 sweeps from full firm then i backed them off a couple of sweeps, it didnt seem to matter where i had them set.
Old 02-02-2009, 12:35 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

And nothing else changed? A "couple of sweeps" is a relatively big change in damping... and again if the adjusters aren't stuck or don't turn forever, there was a tangible damping change there you should have clearly noticed.
Old 02-02-2009, 12:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well ill hafta switch them back out and see because i changed the upper shock mounts and that gave me back quite a bit of ride height so that may explain why it was riding rough, less compression travel i guess. So ill switch those back out and report back.
Old 02-02-2009, 04:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well i started playing with the shocks since i havnt had a chance to put them back on the car and on the shock that came off of the drivers side, its fairly tough to compress and very slow on the rebound, no matter how i adjust it (tried it on all adjustment settings), and on the passengers side shock its pretty easy to compress and is fast on the rebound, on all adjustment settings. So could this mean that my adjusters are damaged?
Thanks, Jon
Old 02-02-2009, 04:18 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Not necessarily.... Shocks are velocity sensitive, and you just can't move them as fast or as hard as the car can. There might be something up, at this point I'd suggest a call to Koni NA. 800-922-2616 and have a chat with them if you feel something is amiss.
Old 02-02-2009, 04:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah i think i will. It just seems odd to me that one rebounds faster than the other and one is tougher to compress than the other. I understand what you are saying about them being velocity sensitive. Just strikes me odd i guess

Quick Reply: Possible koni problem?