Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Opinions for lowering car

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 11:04 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Opinions for lowering car

Alright.. basically I wanna know what I would need to kill the wheel space for 18inch wheels. I plan on getting AR rebels this summer and wanna lower the car to kill the wheel space but not kill me in the process by having the tire bump up or being to low. I figure a inch or inch 1/2 would be good, if you guys think thats what is normal? Also should I get shocks with springs and if so what would you guys recommend. Im looking to go to a cheap route on this one since its just lowering the car, id like it to be as comfortable as it is now in stock suspension and all if possible. What springs/shocks would you guys recommend and what would be the cheapest. Im a complete newbie when it comes to suspension or lowering cars so don't be afraid to treat me like a dumbass when talking aha. Thanks
Old 02-14-2009, 11:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Strano Springs & Koni Shocks seem to be the favorite setups around here. Ill be doing the same when i get the money. I really dont know anymore then you do about springs/shocks
Old 02-14-2009, 11:32 PM
TECH Regular

well basically its just not gonna be as comfortable as stock all the time as you will be reducing suspension travel and more than likely will be adding stiffer springs, the cheap route really will never get you anywhere the right way, ive owned a lowered car before and i didn like it for a DD but it was great for handling. also you will be changing driveline angles by lowering it which isn a big deal really until you start pouring more and more power out of it, you may have some driveline vibrations i cant tell you to what degree for sure i havent lowered an f-body yet it was a stang i had previously, just some thoughts to consider
Old 02-14-2009, 11:57 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by twelver12
well basically its just not gonna be as comfortable as stock all the time as you will be reducing suspension travel and more than likely will be adding stiffer springs, the cheap route really will never get you anywhere the right way, ive owned a lowered car before and i didn like it for a DD but it was great for handling. also you will be changing driveline angles by lowering it which isn a big deal really until you start pouring more and more power out of it, you may have some driveline vibrations i cant tell you to what degree for sure i havent lowered an f-body yet it was a stang i had previously, just some thoughts to consider
Ok let me rephrase what im looking for then, I care more about handling then comfort. Say for example, the way sti and evos are, how there stiff, to me I dont mind that I still find it comfortable lol. When I say I want it comfortable I mean I dont want to feel the car like its going to fall apart from hitting pebbles on the road. If the car feels stiff and handles great then I deff. wouldn't care about it that much. So what setup is best for that? I wanna go for cheaper stuff, but if the cheaper stuff still makes it handle good and is a lil more uncomfortable then its no biggy to me. Just so you get a idea of what I define as "comfortable" Im not looking to be driving a gto with thick leather seats and how it glides over everything here. If I feel bumps like a sti or evo does then thats all fine by me.
Old 02-15-2009, 12:03 AM
12 Second Club

How are Eibach springs? I see there pretty cheap, but what shocks are out there that are good prices. Also, should I just get the springs for now and wait until my stock shocks die? I know the previous owner replaced the shocks when my car had 80k miles, it now has 92k miles. So im thinking its a lil stupid to go buying new shocks if the shocks on it only have 12k miles on them.
Old 02-15-2009, 12:39 AM
TECH Addict

You can run new springs on stock shocks. From what ive read, it's still an okk ride. So you could probably do that, and the eibach springs i believe are pretty good but overtime the rear's begin to sag or something like that. I think that's the only complaint ppl have with those springs, but there's also BMR springs that are pretty good. I think they may be having a sale on there springs at the moment.
Old 02-15-2009, 12:55 AM
12 Second Club

mm ill have to look into that then, also what would you guys recommend as a good drop? 1inch, 1.5inch, or 2inch? I was thinking more along the lines of a 1-1.5inch drop.
Old 02-15-2009, 01:05 AM
12 Second Club

I noticed bmr has a sale going on there normal 1inch drop springs. I think im going to go with them!
Old 02-15-2009, 01:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Use search.
You cannot get good handling or good ride quality cheap with these cars unfortunately. Before you do anything read the stickies, use search and then call up Sam at stranoparts.com, he has won multiple national SCCA events in his 4th gen Camaro with his own suspension so I'd say he knows a thing or two about 4th gen handling.
I have his suspension and there is really only a few ways to describe it: "WOW!!!!" or " HOLY @#%@#%@!!!!!!" would be appropriate.
Old 02-15-2009, 01:54 AM
12 Second Club

Yea but Its not like im racing my car on auto cross here.. Its just a daily driver and all I cared about is taking some wheel space out lol. I figured ill probably get the bmr springs and put them on my stock shocks. If it rides alright or it doesn't bug me ill leave it as that, if it does then ill go get koni shocks thats all.
Old 02-15-2009, 03:05 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The stock shocks will wear out a lot faster lowered even if they do work. Can't say what they're like new but man....I used to be lowered over stock shocks and the ride was ****. If you don't want to spend the cash on Konis then KYB AGX shocks would still be a lot better than stock and are quite reasonable. If you do decide to go with an Eibach spring get the LT1 pro-kit. The LS1 kit is famous for "*** sag". I had a set (LT1 version of course) on my car and they gave a pretty nice stance. decent ride too for the shocks they were on. When I got Konis I switched to Stranos and don't regret it. The ride is awesome (I am sure that has mroe to do with the shocks than the springs, but even so, still nice.) and I think the stance looks a bit better too. Both springs are good, I just feel that since they arent much more expensive that the Stranos are worth the cash.
Old 02-15-2009, 05:45 AM
Launching!

im using bmr springs, they have a great sale going on now so I would jump on that route. They lower the car 1.25 inches and are progressive so they will not bottom out. I also went with strano revalve bilstiens cause i didnt have the cash for konis.
Old 02-15-2009, 09:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Use search.
You cannot get good handling or good ride quality cheap with these cars unfortunately. Before you do anything read the stickies, use search and then call up Sam at stranoparts.com, he has won multiple national SCCA events in his 4th gen Camaro with his own suspension so I'd say he knows a thing or two about 4th gen handling.
I have his suspension and there is really only a few ways to describe it: "WOW!!!!" or " HOLY @#%@#%@!!!!!!" would be appropriate.
I have the same setup and I agree
Suspension is somewhere you don't want to skimp on.
But so far no one has mentioned just getting the Koni's and doing the lower perch in front and hose mod in the rear. Yes it only drops the car approx 3/4" but at least you'll have the best shocks and you can still add springs at a later date (just remember not to toss out the rear upper isolaters).
Old 02-15-2009, 12:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by fccs
Yea but Its not like im racing my car on auto cross here.. Its just a daily driver and all I cared about is taking some wheel space out lol. I figured ill probably get the bmr springs and put them on my stock shocks. If it rides alright or it doesn't bug me ill leave it as that, if it does then ill go get koni shocks thats all.
Well you said you wanted the ride to be like an STi or EVO (Im assuming you mean really firm, but not jarring?). Stock shocks + lowering springs will be more like a 1960's pickup and will progressively get worse with miles.
You seem pretty dead set on what you are going to do so I guess just go for it and see how you like it.

Originally Posted by TransAmdriv3r
im using bmr springs, they have a great sale going on now so I would jump on that route. They lower the car 1.25 inches and are progressive so they will not bottom out. I also went with strano revalve bilstiens cause i didnt have the cash for konis.
Progressive springs have nothing to do with "bottoming out" they just have two different rates, and in theory are for better ride quality.
Old 02-15-2009, 01:20 PM
12 Second Club

I never said I wanted my car to ride like a sti or evo.. I said I dont mind the bumps and stiffness they have. im 19, not 65. The ride quality isnt what I care about so much just as long as its decent ill be happy. Ill get the bmr springs but im not sure what shocks to get, I looked into it and figured ill change the shocks with the springs since im going to be in there anyways. KYB AGX and strano blistiens seem to be liked around here, so ill checkout the pricing on those instead of konis.
Old 02-15-2009, 01:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

i have a set of bilsteins on my car and i'm very happy with them. wayyy better than the stock shocks. the only real flaw to them is that they "underdampen" the springs. i can definitely feel it but i really don't mind at all. it just bounces back from bumps quicker. not as smooth as a ride as koni's would be, but i got mine for like $35 total so i really don't care haha.