Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

How much to cut springs??

Old 10-13-2003, 07:06 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much to cut springs??

I am wanting to lower my car a little bit but don't want to spend money on springs, so i'm thinking of just cutting my stock ones.....I was wanting to know who all has done this and how much you cut off of them....if you can post pics of your car that you have cut your springs it would be helpful to see how much i want to cut mine...Thanks
Old 10-14-2003, 04:26 PM
Launching!

Default Re: How much to cut springs??

Anyone?????
Old 10-15-2003, 09:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Default Re: How much to cut springs??

I cut 1.5 coils off a spare set I bought but haven't installed them yet. It cost me about 4 bucks in cutting wheels

Cheers,
Chris
Old 11-01-2003, 11:53 AM
Banned

I cut 1.5 coils off mine last night and the ride height is close to my eibach prokit. And I didn't notice any difference from the prokit either. I've heard of people having good luck with cutting 1 coil using hose on the top coil and removing the rubber piece. I would just cut 1.5 like I did, it's easy and no vibrations.

Chris, did you use the thin round cut-off wheels? The thicker ones are a PAIN! It only took me about 30 sec each.

Originally Posted by Chris ARE 360
I cut 1.5 coils off a spare set I bought but haven't installed them yet. It cost me about 4 bucks in cutting wheels

Cheers,
Chris
Old 11-03-2003, 12:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yep the thin ones

Took me about 5 minutes for all four springs...

BTW Did you cut 1.5 coils off the big end of the springs? Also did you remove the rubber jounce spacer? Any pics you could share?

cheers,
Chris
Old 11-03-2003, 11:05 PM
On The Tree

I am a little confused about how much to cut them also. It is a little hard to explain in words what i am confused about, but i will try. Do you start to measure the amount of coil were the first one starts. So if you cut a 1.5 coils the coil will start on the other side of were it originally started. Sorry that is the best i could try to explain it.

Thanks
Old 11-03-2003, 11:51 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How much does each coil reduce ride hieght?

Is there anything else that needs to be compensated for when it comes to suspension geometry?

Does the ride quality change any? Stiffer? Softer?
Old 11-04-2003, 06:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

IMO this is rediculous. I see people with ricers cutting springs. I would never half *** anything with my SS. Springs are not that expensive!
But to each their own.
Old 11-04-2003, 09:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ScreaminSS01
IMO this is rediculous. I see people with ricers cutting springs. I would never half *** anything with my SS. Springs are not that expensive!
But to each their own.
Why is it ridiculous? Torching springs is ridiculous but cutting has been done for years. Race teams and everything

The cut stock springs and the prokits are virtually identical in ride. To each their own
Old 11-04-2003, 11:09 AM
Launching!

Ok most likely will cut 1.5 coils off.....Which end to you actually cut, the top or the bottom.....I was also thinking that i would have to cut more in the back then in the front cause my back is a little higher......Thanks
Old 11-05-2003, 12:05 AM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I have lowered ~20 or so cars locally by cutting their stock springs. I cut 1.5 coils, never had any problems.

Josh
Old 11-16-2003, 09:21 AM
Staging Lane

There are a couple of things that need to be considered when cutting springs.
1. You will be increasing spring rate. Depending on what you are doing, this can be a good thing.
2. The implication from 1. is that you need to have shocks to handle the increased spring rate. I think the DeCarbon shocks that come stock are horrible. Mine were worn out after 25k miles.
3. Depending on how much you want to lower the car, cutting springs can be a hassle. With cut springs, you have the option of lowering the car as much as you want. Aftermarket springs offer a defined amount of lowereing ie 1" or 1 1/2". But if you want to lower stock coils 1 1/4" then you can do it.
The problem lies in the process. After you cut some of the spring coil off, you will need to re-install just to make sure you get the height that you want. Cut, re-install, cut re-install. Huge PITA IMO.
There is nothing wrong with cutting a spring as long as you know what you're getting into.

To answer your earlier question. I would cut the end that seats on the bottom(closer to the control arm) b/c that perch is easier to modify(if needed) than the big *** rubber bushing/upper spring perch. But that's just me.

Remember, after you cut the coil off, you can't put it back on. The old adage applies, measure twice and cut once. We've all goofed something up by forgetting this. I know I have.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How much to cut springs??