Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

No rear Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 07:35 AM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Default No rear Brakes

If you find out please let me know, As I was driving home one of my rear calipers came off shearing the break line and the E-cable, I installed new Cal's and cable, bled the entire system. When I went to a muffler shop you know when they drive the front wheels on a ramp to slide forward, when the mech tried to stop with the rear brakes there was none, he had to use the E brake to stop the car from rolling forward. I re-bled the brakes, bled the proportioning valve all with no luck, still little to no rear brake..
Old 08-24-2009, 09:21 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you ever figure out what that was? My bro is down in North Carolina having the same problem with his 95 Z
Old 08-25-2009, 07:34 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by fergymoto
Did you ever figure out what that was? My bro is down in North Carolina having the same problem with his 95 Z
Never did, I guess the only thing next is to replace the proportioning valve..
Old 09-02-2009, 09:26 AM
12 Second Club

Does your car still have the ABS unit in it? I take it you have a 93-97 F body right?
Old 09-02-2009, 09:38 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is it a lt1 car, lt1 rear brakes suck, i never got mine to work right on my 95 camaro and i tried everything there is to try
Old 09-02-2009, 10:22 AM
TECH Addict

Does your car still have the ABS unit in it? I take it you have a 93-97 F body right?
My car still has the ABS and its a 95. I know they worked before because I have had it at the muffler shop and they never said anything about it until the last time. with the front wheels on the skiff only the rear tires are rolling and when he tried to stop he said it kept going. Had to pull the E-brake to get it to stop..
Old 09-02-2009, 06:18 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Have you tried bleeding the ABS unit under the hood?

Also, on a "long shot", after you bleed the ABS unit, re-bleed the rear brakes with the ignition in the "on" position. Some cars need to have the ABS/traction control system energized to properly get all the air out of the system.
Old 09-03-2009, 06:27 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
Have you tried bleeding the ABS unit under the hood?

Also, on a "long shot", after you bleed the ABS unit, re-bleed the rear brakes with the ignition in the "on" position. Some cars need to have the ABS/traction control system energized to properly get all the air out of the system.
Ok, Thats one thing I havent tried, but I did bleed the Unit and went round and round on the brakes. I will give that a try and see what happens. Thanks
Old 09-09-2009, 10:17 PM
12 Second Club

Any luck?
Old 09-09-2009, 11:48 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by moehorsepower
Ok, Thats one thing I havent tried, but I did bleed the Unit and went round and round on the brakes. I will give that a try and see what happens. Thanks

No need for said method. Your ABS controller has it's own bleeder valves. Bleed the ABS unit using the bleeder screws.
Old 09-10-2009, 06:24 AM
TECH Addict

Any luck?
No havent tried it yet..

Originally Posted by SJM Manufacturing Inc
No need for said method. Your ABS controller has it's own bleeder valves. Bleed the ABS unit using the bleeder screws.

I did that too, a couple of times with the same results so??? I have no idea..
Old 10-09-2009, 05:04 PM
12 Second Club

Ever figure that out?
Old 10-12-2009, 08:06 AM
TECH Addict

My car is still in the build process so I haven't had the chance to do anything with the brakes. But a couple of people that I spoke to that had the same problem just replaced the Proportioning valve with a manual and they said that fixed the rear brake problems...I might have to do the same...
Old 12-18-2010, 10:38 PM
12 Second Club

Bringing this one back.

I am just now getting back to trying to solve this problem on my brother's 95 Camaro again. There is absolutely, positively no air in the system. It has been bled from both bleeders on the ABS module along with all 4 wheels. It gets plenty of fluid to the rear when bleeding, but when running it's got nothing.

Tried a new master cylinder, no luck. Also changed it over to LT1 disc brakes tonight (car used to be a sixxer, Z28 clone now, everything correct). The problem is still there. The ABS module is the only thing it can be. I am going to try swapping it with another ABS module tomorrow. If it were my own car, I would ditch the ABS (which I have on several of my own cars). But, he is younger and less experienced and I want him to have ABS.
Old 12-20-2010, 06:43 AM
TECH Addict

my car is still down so I have not messed with it, but more and more I hear going to a manual proportioning valve is the fix..
Old 12-20-2010, 07:07 AM
12 Second Club

Changed the ABS module, no difference. Bench bled the master cylinder again to make sure it was functioning properly, it was. Put it back on and bled the whole system, no change. The only thing I can figure now is that the real brake hose is internally collapsed. Everything else in the system has been changed
Old 12-20-2010, 09:07 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This comment applies to 93-97 ABS-VI ABS otherwise known as LT1 brakes. If the rear brakes appear to have totally failed, its possible that the metal gear has fallen off of the rear circuit piston in the ABS module.

If you pull the ABS module out of the car and pull the plastic cover off of the bottom, you will see 3 large metal gears. One gear is fro the rear brakes and the other two are for the two fronts. The gears are keyed and held on by a nut that tends to back off and when that happens, the gear falls off and voila, no brakes. GM should have loctited these nuts but never did.

The middle gear nut did fall off of in mine but the gear was captured by the other two gears so I did not have a total failure. When the gear falls off, the piston in the cylinder will not operate the check valve and therfore no brake fluid flow will occur.

This is the most common failure of ABS-XI brake modules and the reason many pull their ABS but it is a very easy fix.
Old 12-20-2010, 09:34 AM
12 Second Club

I had the bottom cover off mine and everything looked good. I am getting fluid to the rear too.

Quick Reply: No rear Brakes