Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors
View Poll Results: What is universally the best brake-type?
Drilled and Slotted is the best way to go!
36.73%
Slotted is the best way to go!
30.61%
Stock is the best way to go!
32.65%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Slotted vs. Drilled & Slotted (Poll)

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 03:56 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts

Slots are largely overkill, but they do have a function aside from gas evacuation.... I've noticed less grooving of the rotors with the ATE's vs. blanks. Presumably any debris like dirt, small stones, etc. that would normally just get trapped between the pad and the rotor and can cause some grooving. The one things slotted seem to do is keep the face rotor in better shape if you tend to get grooving (particuarly in dusty areas)

Good slotted rotors (note I said good ones) are not bad. Lots like the look. I agree a good blank is also fine and have always said so. I don't like, never have and likely never will drilled rotors unless they are designed to be that way (and even then I don't see the point).
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 04-03-2009, 10:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dont drilled rotor run cooler?
Old 04-03-2009, 11:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DANOZ28
dont drilled rotor run cooler?
They're really cool when they start to crack.
Old 04-03-2009, 01:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Im sure you were just trying to be funny however i'll ask you do your brakes come with a lifetime warranty/ no wear policy? I bought my bsi cryo rotors drilled / slotted / zinc coated with hawk pads because they were a good value. $350 shipped. different applications may need different types of brakes. a guy in my car club uses wilwood slotted for road racing. i dont need a $1k brake job. i wish someone would do a test comparison. cheers bra!
Old 04-03-2009, 02:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Im sure you were just trying to be funny however i'll ask you do your brakes come with a lifetime warranty/ no wear policy? I bought my bsi cryo rotors drilled / slotted / zinc coated with hawk pads because they were a good value. $350 shipped. different applications may need different types of brakes. a guy in my car club uses wilwood slotted for road racing. i dont need a $1k brake job. i wish someone would do a test comparison. cheers bra!
People will get what they want and will derive their own conclusions based upon the data thats out there. I haven't heard of BSI before, so I'm gonna have to toss them into my bucket of unknown cheap rotors assumption.

From the information I've gathered, I would think that the drilled rotors may cool down quicker but will also heat up faster due to having less rotor mass.

What's the deal with cryo treated rotors anyway? Is that just a marketting gimmick or useful given that rotors are cryo treated correctly? Please knowledgable answers only....

The guy in your car club probably doesn't need a 1k brake job either
Old 04-03-2009, 03:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

BSI is / was a sponsor on this site. if a search wont find them check catagory sponsor sales 12-2007. from what i remember the cryo treatment is a process that makes the rotors last longer before warping. with the zinc coating they look beautiful. only time will tell how long they last. i took a chance again for the value on a brand new product. or google BSI brakes.
Old 04-03-2009, 03:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

I was trying to throw in a little humor while making a point. No malicious intent, though. If your rotors come with a lifetime warranty and the manufacturer actually stands by it then that is great, take them back when they start to crack. If you always baby them, who knows, they might not crack, but if you get on them hard (what are good brakes for anyway?) I would be surprised if they do not start to crack after a while.

I never bothered to check and I doubt it is the case, but I wonder if my drilled Brembo rotors I posted above have this lifetime warranty? If they do I will get new replacement rotors and then sell the new ones to someone else for them to use.
Old 04-03-2009, 05:00 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts

Brakes will never have a lifetime warranty that is worth anything. And here's why? They are wear items, much like tires. Ever notice tires with a "lifetime warranty" are rock-hard treadwear 600+ types. They are meant to entice folks with the notion they'll never need replaced. Tires that hard will go forever, but offer no performance what so ever, and when need replaced the price is pro-rated.

And no, drilled rotors do not run cooler. If they did you can bet you'd see them on race cars where temperature is an issue....

Drilling is bling above all. You save a very small amount of unsprung weight, but at the cost of less swept area and a disruption of airflow through the cooling vanes.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 04-03-2009, 11:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Drilled is about looks, pure and simple
I don't like, never have and likely never will drilled rotors unless they are designed to be that way (and even then I don't see the point) .
What do you mean, what type? They Z06 are drilled, but unlike replacements for our cars, they were meant to be drilled.
How are they "meant to be drilled" when you stated that you don't see the point in the above quote.

And no, drilled rotors do not run cooler. If they did you can bet you'd see them on race cars where temperature is an issue....
If they don't run cooler and you don't see the point, please explain why they were meant to be drilled. Also, why do the exotics run drilled rotors considering the minimal benfit?

Brembo's are great
They happen to carry both cross drilled and slotted.

Drilling is bling above all
There seems to be a reason for drilled rotors other than looks per Brembo who happens to be a company that you support.

Also, Brembo offers both cross drilled and slotted OEM replacements which by their standards justifies the modification of an OEM sized rotor to cross drilling and/or slotting.
http://www.brembo.com/US/Performance/SportRotors/

I'm just not sure how you stand as your comments on drilling are particularly negative considering the company you support manufacturers drilled products. Most important is your influence due to being a vendor.
I understand your forte in suspension but would like to quantify your comments on braking that goes beyond the manufacturer's claim.
Old 04-04-2009, 01:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DRGnFLYZ28
There seems to be a reason for drilled rotors other than looks per Brembo who happens to be a company that you support.

Also, Brembo offers both cross drilled and slotted OEM replacements which by their standards justifies the modification of an OEM sized rotor to cross drilling and/or slotting.
http://www.brembo.com/US/Performance/SportRotors/

I'm just not sure how you stand as your comments on drilling are particularly negative considering the company you support manufacturers drilled products. Most important is your influence due to being a vendor.
I understand your forte in suspension but would like to quantify your comments on braking that goes beyond the manufacturer's claim.
Brembo realizes that the "bold, aggressive appearance" of cross drilled rotors sells, that is why (what justifies) they make them and sell them to people who want them.

Brembo offers the "OEM size" drilled rotors because that is what bolts directly on and sells to someone looking for drilled rotors.

Sam carries drilled rotors for those people whom he can't talk out of buying them and just have to have them. He recommends against them for apparantly not so obvious reasons, but if people insist he will sell them to make them happy.

Drilled rotors cost more than blanks. If a vendor was just trying to make a buck why would he try to educate folks and get them to buy the less expensive product? Do you think Sam wins road races just by knowing a thing or two about having good suspension?
Old 04-04-2009, 02:13 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is a very good post. Lots of good ideas and suggestions in here. I thinking for now I will get a slotted OEM replacement, then later on in the fronts, I will get a 6 caliper kit. Keep the post coming. Thanks guys.
Old 04-04-2009, 12:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by wht01ws6ta
Brembo realizes that the "bold, aggressive appearance" of cross drilled rotors sells, that is why (what justifies) they make them and sell them to people who want them.
OK, lets go with that concept... if true, then they would have to have a proprietry way of drilling them to preserve their reputation and warranty with a product that won't fail. I don't think they would R&D a product soley for looks but that is just my opinion.

Originally Posted by wht01ws6ta
Drilled rotors cost more than blanks. If a vendor was just trying to make a buck why would he try to educate folks and get them to buy the less expensive product? Do you think Sam wins road races just by knowing a thing or two about having good suspension?
Simple, don't carry a product you don't believe in or support.

He supports the blanks, that is cool and my argument is NOT about Sam or his products. It is about whether or not cross drilling IS or IS NOT beneficial.
The fact that he is an avid road racer means he has found what is best for his application and those looking for the same (or near same) results. I don't believe it disproves the claims of manufacturers nor the evidence of high end vehicles supporing these products by installing them for the sole reasons cross drilling was created in the first place.
If an OEM sized cross drilled replacement can be supported by a well know manufacturer (i.e. Brembo), there has to be evidence supporting their product. I doubt they would haphazardly produce a cosmetic add-on without the R&D needed to back their product.
Just sayin...
Old 04-04-2009, 09:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by DRGnFLYZ28
OK, lets go with that concept... if true, then they would have to have a proprietry way of drilling them to preserve their reputation and warranty with a product that won't fail. I don't think they would R&D a product soley for looks but that is just my opinion.

Simple, don't carry a product you don't believe in or support.

He supports the blanks, that is cool and my argument is NOT about Sam or his products. It is about whether or not cross drilling IS or IS NOT beneficial.
The fact that he is an avid road racer means he has found what is best for his application and those looking for the same (or near same) results. I don't believe it disproves the claims of manufacturers nor the evidence of high end vehicles supporing these products by installing them for the sole reasons cross drilling was created in the first place.
If an OEM sized cross drilled replacement can be supported by a well know manufacturer (i.e. Brembo), there has to be evidence supporting their product. I doubt they would haphazardly produce a cosmetic add-on without the R&D needed to back their product.
Just sayin...
Quote from Baer:
" Although cross-drilling and/or slotting will provide a welcome path to expend any gasses when and if they develop, it is primarily a visual enhancement behind today’s often wide-open wheel designs. Cross-drilling offers the greatest gas relief pathway, but creates potential "stress risers" from which cracks can occur. Baer´s rotors are cast with cross-drilling in mind, from the material specified, to curved vanes, behind which the holes are placed to minimize potential crack migration. Slotted surfaces are what Baer recommends for track only use. Slotted only rotors are offered as an option for any of Baer’s offerings."

Also Brembo used to have a disclaimer on their website about their OEM replacement drilled rotors saying "not for track use!".

From an older thread:
http://buildafastercar.com/tech/Drilled-Brake-Rotors

Last edited by JD_AMG; 04-04-2009 at 10:05 PM.
Old 04-04-2009, 11:10 PM
12 Second Club

I was running ebc slotted and dimpled rotors on my Cobalt they worked great. I have had drilled ones that cracked on me.
Old 04-05-2009, 08:40 AM
TECH Junkie

I found this on tirerack too on the Brembo rotors description:

NOTE: Brembo Sport drilled brake rotors are not recommended by The Tire Rack for track use or intended to be used in conjunction with race compound brake pads on the street. For severe duty brake demands see Brembo Sport slotted brake rotors.

IMPORTANT REMINDER: Slotted, drilled or dimpled rotors offered as OEM replacements should not be considered appropriate for high-speed track use.

While grooved, drilled and slotted rotors offer an enhanced appearance and add some resistance to the boundary layer of gasses that can build up between the pad and rotor, they are not designed to withstand the extreme temperatures that are produced on the racetrack. If they are used on the track, it is very important that the rotors be carefully inspected and should not be driven on if even minor signs of deterioration are seen. Note, too, that if any products are used on the track they are not warrantable.

I would provide the link, but I think it would get deleted
Old 04-05-2009, 09:45 AM
TECH Addict

tirerack is a sponsor, so no reason it should get deleted. ill reiterate what iand everyone else has said....blanks are best. slots are ok, i use ATE slotted becuase thats what came with my C5 kit. after a few track days, theyre still holding up fine. soon im going with dedicated rotors/pads for track days, since now i have a trailer.
Old 04-05-2009, 11:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Quote from Baer:
" From an older thread:
http://buildafastercar.com/tech/Drilled-Brake-Rotors
Originally Posted by z28bryan
I found this on tirerack too on the Brembo rotors description:

NOTE: Brembo Sport drilled brake rotors are not recommended by The Tire Rack for track use or intended to be used in conjunction with race compound brake pads on the street. For severe duty brake demands see Brembo Sport slotted brake rotors.

IMPORTANT REMINDER: Slotted, drilled or dimpled rotors offered as OEM replacements should not be considered appropriate for high-speed track use.

While grooved, drilled and slotted rotors offer an enhanced appearance and add some resistance to the boundary layer of gasses that can build up between the pad and rotor, they are not designed to withstand the extreme temperatures that are produced on the racetrack. If they are used on the track, it is very important that the rotors be carefully inspected and should not be driven on if even minor signs of deterioration are seen. Note, too, that if any products are used on the track they are not warrantable.

I would provide the link, but I think it would get deleted

Good info!
Old 04-05-2009, 06:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by EchoMirage
tirerack is a sponsor, so no reason it should get deleted. ill reiterate what iand everyone else has said....blanks are best. slots are ok, i use ATE slotted becuase thats what came with my C5 kit. after a few track days, theyre still holding up fine. soon im going with dedicated rotors/pads for track days, since now i have a trailer.
You're right. I just realized that when I saw "sponsored by TireRack" on the wheels and tires section.
Old 04-06-2009, 01:46 AM
Launching!

Ok guys here is an update. I been hanging out with my friend's Mitsubishi Car club, and these guys are serious guys. A few of them even race on the track (You might have even seen them on Hot Import Nights and some mags even). A lot of them was running drilled and slotted rotors. One guy in particular had a very powerful car (Got it dyno'd right before my eyes, it hit 605 RWHP, with 595 lb. ft. torque, running @ 6600 RPMs, still had headroom). He said he has never had any problems with cracking on drilled and slotted like everyone else said, and he races every weekend. Of coarse he has some great ones, and I will ask him which one it is. Other guys told me the same. I am also wondering that people just got ones that they either didn't have the right braking systems for it or if they just had a cheap pair. Just like one of the guys says earlier, I don't think most manufactures will sell something just for looks. They will have to perform some kind of test to get some good performance out of it too.
Old 04-06-2009, 12:48 PM
10 Second Club

here's my personal experience with DRILLED rotors:

Way back in 2004, I put on a set of powerstop drilled/slotted rotors in the front, and drilled only in the rears. I got both Front/Rear sets from summit. The car was my DD for a few years until I put on my turbo kit in 07 and now only drive ~7-8,000 miles a year. These rotors have AT LEAST 30,000+ miles on them, and I am now starting to see small cracks around most of the drilled sections.

With that said, cracks can and will eventually occur with drilled rotors, based off of my experience with them. I'll be going with either the ATE slotted or brembo blanks in the future.

Quick Reply: Slotted vs. Drilled & Slotted (Poll)