Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Need new shocks ... Suggestions please inside

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 04:36 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Need new shocks ... Suggestions please inside

Ok so I do not have a lot of money but need new shocks until I can afford to get some Konis in about a year or so.

So I am wondering what is a cheap inexpensive, yet good, shock that I can use for about a year or so? All suggestions welcome.
Old 04-01-2009, 04:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Why would you waste your money on shocks that you plan on only using for a year? Think about what your doing. Just save for Konis, plain and simple.
Old 04-01-2009, 05:14 PM
Launching!

well i am about to lower the car and I need something for the time being. I dont want to lower it and deal with bad, stock shocks for a year. I need something for just the next year or so, so that I am not riding on crappy shocks for that time.
Old 04-01-2009, 06:00 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

Bilstein would be my recommendation if Koni's can't be done and the car is on stock springs (you didn't say). They are workable, if not really ideal for lowering springs as well, but then it becomes a toss between those and AGX's. The AGX's can deal better with the higher damping needs of stiffer and shorter springs, but then they aren't nearly as tough either.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 04-01-2009, 06:25 PM
Launching!

well its going to be on lowered springs, BMR. I was looking at the KYB gas shocks, not the AGXs. I just would like something that will hold me over for a bit until I can get the Konis, unless it would be better to just ride it out with stock shocks.
Old 04-01-2009, 10:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would just wait and get the koni's.Why mess around.You get what you pay for.They are worth the wait.I did and they were worth ever dollar I paid
for them.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:08 AM
Launching!

ok so i ask if i should just wait and do with stock shocks for awhile and people tell me no I should at least change the fronts because of the difficulty of the process. I decide to change at least the fronts and people tell me that I should just wait.

I am trying to figure out what would be best for my ride quality, overall feel, performance, etc... for my car over the next year or so while I am saving up for the Konis. Anyone out there wanna weigh in on what would be best for me. Thank you.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you should just wait on the whole thing until you can buy the koni's and the springs.

you could just do the koni fronts and the springs, but that is still going to be money.

How is doing the fronts with a cheap shock going to help you since you have going to have to do it again to put the koni's on anyway.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:53 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

BMR uses more rear spring rate than I do, which requires even more damping, which makes Koni's even more recommended. Shocks are dampers, both mass and spring rate wise. The higher the rate, the higher the mass, and/or the shorter the travel, the more damping is required. Ok, their rear springs are 170 working rate, doens't sound that more than 150 mine are, until you do the math and realize it's about 12% more.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 04-02-2009, 12:41 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
BMR uses more rear spring rate than I do, which requires even more damping, which makes Koni's even more recommended. Shocks are dampers, both mass and spring rate wise. The higher the rate, the higher the mass, and/or the shorter the travel, the more damping is required. Ok, their rear springs are 170 working rate, doens't sound that more than 150 mine are, until you do the math and realize it's about 12% more.
I totally understand that and that is why I am wanting to get the Konis, I just dont have enough money for it at this moment in time. I am wanting to know what would be the best thing for the time being for me to do. should I get some crappy shocks that will work for a year maybe longer until I can afford the Konis, or should I just use my stock shocks that I have?

I want the Konis and have already decided that once I have the money, those are going to be my shocks. But I do not want to drive around with a 4X4 looking camaro any longer, so which route would be best for my cars ride, feel, and performance until I do have money for the Konis?
Old 04-02-2009, 01:35 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Just because you want an answer that suits you doens't mean it exists. That's not be harsh, really... I know what you are asking, and I find it hard to recommend anything half-assed because I think it's silly to spend money on something that you know isn't a great solution and you'll be changing.

You want to know what the best is, that's not the best. So you want to know what second best is.... AGX's of Strano Spec Bilstein would be second best, but neither is what it should be for those springs (and I never said the Bilstein's would be, just what I do is a bit better than normal HD's).