Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Questions about Strange/QA1 Drag Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 10:10 PM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

Default Questions about Strange/QA1 Drag Shocks

I'm looking into putting either some QA1 or Strange drag shocks on the front and rear and I will more than likely run a 300lb. spring upfront. Based off what I've read I'm leaning towards the Strange setup at this point. Now I have a couple questions....

-Would Strange/QA1 drag shocks all around with a 300lb. spring up front and my Stranos or stock springs out back improve my handling over what I have now? (Stock Shocks w/ Strano Springs).
-This may be a dumb question but with the SA's, besides being able to adjust the stiffness can you adjust the ride height?

The car sees <4k a year and is not my DD. Handling is not a primary concern I am just curious how my handling will be affected. I drive the car around town and race at night so I don't want the car to suck to drive on the street but track times are quite important to me which is why I'm looking into these. Also I ask about ride height because I would like to be able to "slam" the car a decent amount for car shows since I frequently show the car. Thanks
Old 04-05-2009, 10:20 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As I've posted in another post this evening, you may be best off with double adjustable so you can control your compression setting instead of only rebound. This gives you a bit more controllable for the street and track.

You can control ride height with both setups. Double adjustable is more money, but it's worth it in the end in my opinion.

Here's our link to them. http://www.sjmmanufacturing.com/cam_sus_ls1.html#Shocks

Regarding handling, you are considering drag shocks, but at least you're able to control damping characteristics (best if you can control both which is why I suggest double adjustable).
Old 04-05-2009, 10:26 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SJM Manufacturing Inc
As I've posted in another post this evening, you may be best off with double adjustable so you can control your compression setting instead of only rebound. This gives you a bit more controllable for the street and track.

You can control ride height with both setups. Double adjustable is more money, but it's worth it in the end in my opinion.

Here's our link to them. http://www.sjmmanufacturing.com/cam_sus_ls1.html#Shocks

Regarding handling, you are considering drag shocks, but at least you're able to control damping characteristics (best if you can control both which is why I suggest double adjustable).

Since I'm in school I'm on a budget so the SA appealed alot more to me. I could buy the SA's anytime but would you personally say it would be better to wait another year and get the DA's?

And how much ride height control do you have with the Stranges...enough to give the car a nice 1.5" drop over stock for show purposes?
Old 04-05-2009, 10:34 PM
FormerVendor

No problem with that amount of drop, you could go more if you wanted. I'd personally wait and get double adjustable, but that is me. Obviously many still get the lessor expensive components for obvious reasons.
Old 04-05-2009, 10:38 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SJM Manufacturing Inc
No problem with that amount of drop, you could go more if you wanted. I'd personally wait and get double adjustable, but that is me. Obviously many still get the lessor expensive components for obvious reasons.
Ok cool, thanks for your help! I honestly at this point don't know enough about shocks to realize the real benefit of going DA so I'll have to do more research. When I make my decision I'll be ordering a set from you.
Old 04-05-2009, 10:55 PM
FormerVendor

Glad I could help.

For simplicity sake. Think of it this way, the single adjustable has preset compression settings, you can only adjust rebound. This gives you the adjustable unloading characteristics. On the other hand, when you have double adjustable, you can control rebound AND compression. When you're driving on the street, you can tighten up both settings a bit which can give you a bit better street manners.

As you mentioned, don't do anything until you are ready to make a decision based on information you have acquired.

Quick Reply: Questions about Strange/QA1 Drag Shocks