Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Rear suspension ride height

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 05:17 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Rear suspension ride height

My 2000 z/28 has Eibach 2 inch lowering springs, eibach swaybars, bmr adjustable panhard bar, bmr adjustable rear lower control arms + relocation bracket. I'm running kyb AGX gas adjust shocks. The problem is my car sits about 1/2 inch lower on the right rear than it does on the left rear. With 275/40/R17s the tire will occasionally rub on the right rear even with the shocks turned up all the way, and especially if I have someone in the back seat. I've only noticed the problem since I installed the springs. The front sits even, and on the back I have switched the right and left spring and the right is still lower either way. I took it to a suspension shop that didnt want to work on it but sold me a 1 inch coil spring spacer, which I installed, but the right rear is still noticeably lower. I don't fully understand how the panhard bar adjustment works, does this have anything to do with ride height?
Its really more annoying than anything so any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-08-2009, 05:18 PM
Teching In

Default Another thing

Also I had it in a body shop that put it on a laser frame alignment tool and they said the frame was perfectly straight.
Old 04-08-2009, 06:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Does it rub on the inside, or outside edge of the tire?

If it's rubbing on the inside edge, then you need to adjust the PHB shorter.
And if it's rubbing on the outside edge, then you need to adjust the PHB longer.

Last edited by 99Bluz28; 04-08-2009 at 06:21 PM.
Old 04-08-2009, 10:22 PM
Teching In

Well it rubs on the top of the tire towards the outside. If I shortened the PHB it would bring the tire in..but the tires are even side to side, the outside edge of both rear tires line up right under the lip of the outside fender, just the right side is lower and hits, while the left side does not.
Old 04-08-2009, 10:32 PM
TECH Resident

try turning(clocking) the springs differant. twist the left side so it is in a loose possition and the right side so its tighter while the rear is hanging. you can change ride hieght at least a 1/2 in with the stock springs like this.

but are you saying you put a 1in spacer in the right and its still lower??? if thats the case something is wrong with your car. the frame might be "straight" but is it level? something is def wrong if you put the spacer in and it still sits down....
Old 04-09-2009, 12:18 PM
Teching In

I know what you mean with twisting the springs, theyre both turned so they are tight. I agree that something is definitely wrong..but what?
The car handles like its on rails, a little stiff because of the drop, but it handles perfectly.
Old 04-09-2009, 01:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by carbonz28
Well it rubs on the top of the tire towards the outside. If I shortened the PHB it would bring the tire in..but the tires are even side to side, the outside edge of both rear tires line up right under the lip of the outside fender, just the right side is lower and hits, while the left side does not.
The PHB mounts to the car body on the right side , so if you shorten it you'll push the right side tire out further. What you want to do is lengthen it to move it to the drivers side.

Quick Reply: Rear suspension ride height