Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

rear end swaying in and out

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 10:43 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear end swaying in and out

hey everyone i just wanted to see if anyone else was having this problem. i have a stock sway bar in the back with poly bushings and today i noticed if i jerk the car back and forth kinda like what the people in nascar do when they are doing the first lap and my rear end was wagging like a dog tail so i knew something was wrong

after some diag i found that the sway bar was actually sliding back and forth in the bushings causing the car to act like it didnt really have a sway bar.
i took out the bushings and cleaned them since there was some slime from the grease i used 10k miles ago when i installed them

i then took a test drive and noticed an imediate difference but then it slowly started to get worse again. anyone else have this problem or a fix for it? i was thinking of taping the bar were the bushings are so that way it would be alot tighter and not move because obiously if the bar doesn't mean that means the car is going to corner alot better
Old 04-10-2009, 06:36 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The bushings on the axle, if installed correctly, are located at the point where the bar has the 90 degree bends. This keeps the bar from moving laterally, as the bar is constrained by the bushings. I can't speak for all cars, but on both the '85 Firebird I used to have, and the '96 Camaro I currently have, there were tabs on the axle tubes that properly located the bushings.

Does your car have these tabs? Is your bar the correct bar for the car? Are your bushings capturing the bar at the bends?

Secondly, the fact that an F-bod has a front weight bias will cause the car to "wag its tail" in very quick, sharp turns like you're describing.
Old 04-10-2009, 08:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Don't forget that the stock PHR lets the axle move laterally a pretty good amount which can also "pull" the sway bar left and right and potentially out of position. However do double check the location of the sway bar axle mount bushings, they maybe too far inboard.
Old 04-10-2009, 08:28 AM
TECH Regular

i have a UMI adjustable panhard bar and i have a midwest 9" the sway bar mounts were pre-determined by eric that welded them on so i cannot really move them. the one thing i noticed is that my rear was leaking oil from the vent causing the bushing to slip on the sway bar which was causing excessive sway during hard corners it felt like my rear was having a hard time keeping up with the corners.

i think i'm going to try and make the bar bigger in the area were the bushing is so it doesn't slip or walk.. thanks guys
Old 04-15-2009, 02:45 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

someone correct me if i'm wrong, but the swaybar sliding side to side is not the cause, it's the effect of something else going on. swaybars are not there to keep the rear end centered, that's the job of the panhard bar. the swaybar just keeps the body roll to a minimum. if the rear end is actually sliding side-to-side, then it seems as though there's a problem with the panhard bar...maybe the threads are partially stripped out, or if it's got a poly mount on one side it could be worn/wearing out, and it's allowing more movement than it should. i'd inspect your PHR very thoroughly.
Old 04-15-2009, 07:34 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Here a few Suggestions!

Hello
He is right! Sway bar's control the body roll of a vehicle (which you might be noticing that when you are turning the car back and forth and it makes the rear look like its moving) Might be a shock problem!. Might be another problem with the rear end check the poly bushings in everything just to be sure!
If you have any other problems feel free to ask and I will be glad to help!
Thanks
Brad
Old 04-15-2009, 07:51 AM
On The Tree

The swaybar just keeps the car from having body roll in the corners it the PHB that keeps the axle from moving in and out.

Quick Reply: rear end swaying in and out