Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

how to measure adjustment on PHB?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 11:34 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default how to measure adjustment on PHB?

with slicks/skinnies my tire sticks out where I can't measure from the fender to the tire as shown here.

http://www.bmrfabrication.com/INSTALL/F-BODY_PHR.pdf

how can I measure it?

Chad
Old 04-13-2009, 01:35 AM
TECH Regular

I used a 4 ft metal scale held vertical on the tire and read from the inner fender lip.About as acurate as you can get without scrathing the paint.
Old 04-13-2009, 02:11 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Magic Man
I used a 4 ft metal scale held vertical on the tire and read from the inner fender lip.About as acurate as you can get without scrathing the paint.
don't think I can do that either since I had to hammer the inner fender....

Chad
Old 04-13-2009, 09:07 AM
TECH Junkie

I did mine visually, but isn't there supposedly a right way to do this. Doesn't it include making the control arm angles perfect with the rear end? Or does this not matter really?..
Old 04-13-2009, 09:19 AM
TECH Regular

Maybe I didn't explain very well but I meant the fender well lip that is the metal lip of the fender. Put your hand on the fender and follow the body into the fender and you will feel the lip that is about 1 inch in width.
Old 04-13-2009, 11:29 AM
Staging Lane

I did it with the tires off... Then I used a straight edge and the center of the hub.
This worked pretty good for me...
Old 04-13-2009, 11:49 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

^^ You could do that or put a straight edge on the tire and measure to the fender.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 04-13-2009, 11:58 AM
TECH Resident

I measured mine by taking a tape measure and pushing it to the inner quarter panel and measuring the outter part of my wheel. If it's been hammered I can see how this would be a problem. you'd just have to find another reference point.

I have a feeling I did mine right because last night I did a WOT 1-2 shift and the rear stayed pretty much perfectly inline
Old 04-13-2009, 12:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The factory tolerence on fender placement is stupidly wide. I've seen them vary as much as 3/8" from car to car as measured from the frame rail to the outer rear fender lip.

Centering the tire in the fender well might be asthetically pleasing, but if you are worried about handling, then the rear needs to be dead nuts on square with the fronts.

I roll my front tires through a patch of water on my driveway and then the same thing with the rears.

I then compare the front and rear wet spots left by the tires. This is about the only way of knowing if the rear tires are tracking straight and inline with the fronts short of going to an alignment rack.

Make sure the tire pressures are the same all the way around as well. It will make a difference.
Old 04-13-2009, 01:49 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by mitchntx
The factory tolerence on fender placement is stupidly wide. I've seen them vary as much as 3/8" from car to car as measured from the frame rail to the outer rear fender lip.

Centering the tire in the fender well might be asthetically pleasing, but if you are worried about handling, then the rear needs to be dead nuts on square with the fronts.

I roll my front tires through a patch of water on my driveway and then the same thing with the rears.

I then compare the front and rear wet spots left by the tires. This is about the only way of knowing if the rear tires are tracking straight and inline with the fronts short of going to an alignment rack.

Make sure the tire pressures are the same all the way around as well. It will make a difference.
this is the way I was going to do it until I realized I had my stock wheels, threw them back on and centered the rear the way BMR says to with the plumb bob, and then put back on the drag wheels.

thanks gents.

Chad

Quick Reply: how to measure adjustment on PHB?