Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Granatelli performance springs?

Old 04-13-2009, 11:06 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Granatelli performance springs?

Has anyone here ever used the "Granatelli" lowering springs for f-body 98-02 kit???... Advertised drop is 1.25" front/rear, I'm not sure about the rate.
Old 04-14-2009, 08:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Boo"SS"t
I'm not sure about the rate.
Hence the reason Sam Strano's springs are so popular.
Old 04-14-2009, 01:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Let me clarify my post. From my own personal observations/experiences the spring rates of after market springs were not always readily available, therefore it made it difficult to put together a proper suspension package around these springs. i.e which sway bars, shocks, etc. Some manufactures still don't list their spring rates and a lot of them don't even list the ID and OD's of their sway bars. I guess they just want us to take their word for it that their springs/bars are "better." Of-course one still has to define "better."

I believe that Sam was one of the first F-Body parts vendors that clearly listed/stated what his spring rates are, which IMHO is what made them so popular.
Old 04-15-2009, 02:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

I agree with MLS above, however I'd like to add this that some manufacturers like us to take their word for being "cost less, but just as good or good enough."

I too fell for that once and decided against purchasing items with vague and ambiguous information when I began to rediscover (revisited my racing knowledge in my mechanical engineering statics and dynamics courses) how suspension works. Whilst materials and/or manufacturing maybe partially considered of "proprietary" information from the manufacturer/vendor, I don't and won't consider spring heights, spring rates to be excused by "proprietary" labeling for consumer applications, regardless of street and/or club racing.

Search this Thread