Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

KYB AGX shocks?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2003, 03:05 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default KYB AGX shocks?

Is anyone running these shocks. They look promising.

Den
Old 10-29-2003, 08:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have them with 1.5in lowering springs. I havent any complaints yet. Handling is great; no turn is to long or sharp.
Old 10-29-2003, 08:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They are a decent, moderately priced, street shock. We put them on a friends car and they work well for street use. They are not Koni's, but they are decent for street use.
Old 10-31-2003, 06:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

onehardmaro, trackbird are these the 8 way adjustables or the no-adjustable shocks. I found the 8 way's to be way too soft ( had them on one day and that was enough ) on the down stroke even set at # 8, I wouldn't recommend these to anyone. Installed the Bilsteins HD and I think they work great.

Al
Old 10-31-2003, 08:44 AM
On The Tree

I believe all the AGXs are the adjustable shocks.

I have them on my car, and have for almost a year now. With sporadic autocross events, daily driving, and regular long road trips I have zero complaints about them.

I'm running the Ground Control coil over springs with these and it's lowered about 2.5 inches. The ride is still good, and turn in is very good as well. I would recommend these to anyone looking at shocks, especially if you're interested in adjustable shocks.

Granted, they are't Koni DAs, but, they're also 1/4 the price of them also.... bank for the buck, love the KYB AGXs
Old 10-31-2003, 10:12 AM
Banned

Yeah at first glance they look too good to be true cause they are adjustable and they are only $339.99 for all 4. That's a killer price. I'm looking at the SLP/Bilstien shocks too. They work great, but I'm affraid they're too stiff for drag racing.

So Craig, they are pretty much stiffer than a stock De-Carbon shock right?
Old 10-31-2003, 03:44 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 02BlackWS6
Yeah at first glance they look too good to be true cause they are adjustable and they are only $339.99 for all 4. That's a killer price. I'm looking at the SLP/Bilstien shocks too. They work great, but I'm affraid they're too stiff for drag racing.

So Craig, they are pretty much stiffer than a stock De-Carbon shock right?
Correct, when I replaced my stock shocks they were pretty worn. I left the KYBs on the lowest setting, both front and rears. I've since bumped them up a little at a time. I now have the fronts on 6, and the rears on 3. The turn-in is very crisp, and have minimal oversteer on autocross course.
Old 10-31-2003, 04:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm not understanding why you say the KYB shocks are stiffer then the stock DeCarbon shocks. When I installed them on the rear I found them to be worthless, the autoparts store ordered me another set just in case the first set was bad. Before leaving the autoparts store I set the shocks on 8 and they went down with little effort. They refunded me my money and I ordered a set of the Bilsteins HD for the rear. Do what you want but before installing them I'd set them at 8 and see what kind of resistance you get while pushing down, if there anything like the two sets I had they won't be as stiff as the DeCarbons. Again, just my opinion.
Old 10-31-2003, 09:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The rears are gas adjustable the struts(fronts) are manually adjusted. I have never raced so i dont know what to look for, for race shocks and struts. But for the street i love them. I adjusted my fronts to 6 and i have a perfectly smooth firm ride. But i cannot speak for racing purposes.
Old 10-31-2003, 09:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

I am running these on my car with hypercoil springs. For street use and the price they are a good selection and handle fairly well, I definately felt a difference going with this setup over the stock decarbons. My car definately rides a lot stiffer than stock, but a lot of that is probably the spring i think the hypercoils are a pretty high spring rate.
Old 11-01-2003, 01:14 AM
Banned

Well i'm pretty opened minded about other car parts but when it comes down to things like suspension and brakes i don't like to be uncertain. How good do the SLP/Bilstiens shocks work at the track? If they are anything like my Bilstiens i got from SLP for my '95 Z28 those babies made my car handle like a slot car But they were alittle too stiff for 1/4 mile racing
I did order new Spohn sway bars, and 1LE front/rear springs. With those changes maybe i won't want the shocks just yet. Unless I can find a recked 1LE Camaro with Koni's

Last edited by 02BlackWS6; 11-01-2003 at 01:20 AM.
Old 11-02-2003, 03:08 PM
Launching!

Can someone explain how these shocks actually adjust? Is it something that takes a lot of time?
Old 11-02-2003, 03:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The fronts are just a turn of a ****; a few seconds. The rears adjust them selves; through special valving i guess.
Old 11-02-2003, 03:23 PM
Launching!

ahh...gotcha. It's between these and the Bilstein HDs for me. I'm just concerned that the HDs may be too harsh for the street. Does anyone have anything to add to this?
Old 11-02-2003, 04:07 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by onehardmaro
The fronts are just a turn of a ****; a few seconds. The rears adjust them selves; through special valving i guess.
Both the front and rears have ***** for adjusting. Fronts range from 1-5, the rears adjust from 1-5 (if I remember correctly)

Very easy to adjust, you can either take the wheel off, jack the front of the car up, or, depending on how low your car is, probably do it without raising the car at all.

My car's lowered about 2.5 inches, so I can't get under the car for much of anything....
Old 11-03-2003, 07:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Not mine, the fronts range from 1-8. Rears have no ****. Unless they changed in the last two years. Are you talking about the kyb agx.
Old 11-03-2003, 10:21 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by onehardmaro
Not mine, the fronts range from 1-8. Rears have no ****. Unless they changed in the last two years. Are you talking about the kyb agx.
Yep, KYB AGX, got mine a year ago. Adjustable with the **** for both front and rear.

Dark Age - what springs were you running when you had the shocks? Perhaps that would also contribute to your feeling the shocks being softer than stock?
Old 11-03-2003, 01:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Craig98Z28 , I'm not sure which Eibach springs GMMG installs, the car sits about an inch lower then stock. In my opinion the springs have nothing to do with how soft the compression stroke is on these shocks, the rebound is slower when set on #8 but the compression is junk. The compression stroke is so weak my five year old grandaughter could compress it, these shocks might be a good shock for drag racing but as I've said in other posts about these shocks " I wouldn't put them on my lawn mower ".
Old 11-03-2003, 03:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by DARK AGE 53
I'm not sure which Eibach springs GMMG installs, the car sits about an inch lower then stock. . . .
Just FYI the springs are the Eibach Pro Kit. I am actually dissapointed wwith the "support" the rear has - even with the Koni DA shocks . . . I am talking about my Berger SS.

Quick Reply: KYB AGX shocks?