Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Best shocks these days for a smooth comfortable ride

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 01:02 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 142 Likes on 92 Posts

Who are you?? Why do you think you know so damned much? And what did I say that was wrong? (answer, nothing). Please do use all a favor and shut up until you have some tangilble information to pass along. Thank you.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 05-08-2009, 01:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ItsGone97
Shocking... I would have bet my life savings it wouldnt be 24 hours before the great one came in and started telling everyone they dont know their *** from a hole in the ground and how they should spend their money... have fun boys.
i understand where sam is coming from, his business plays a huge role dealing with shocks/suspension parts, he knows what is good, and what is bad

its like someone asking in a thread about changing their own oil, everyone is going to say "dont use cheap oil from the gas station and a fram filter" they are going to say "use mobil 1 and a mobil 1/acdelco filter"

but the thing is, is that not everybody has a ton of money laying around, and not everybody is looking for performance.

in the passed ~2000 miles my shocks went from being ok, to being scary to drive and having my car float around on the road, i need to get new shocks right now, i have $439 to my name

thats barely enough to buy a set of shocks that were mentioned in this thread (the good ones) and my car is also leaking over 4 quarts of oil every 3000 miles, i need a new oil pan gasket, thats like ~$50 so now i only have $389, and my car needs a new driveshaft.. thats another $100+.. so $289.. this is even before i can buy shocks mind you.. so what am i to do.. drive my car and take a chance of busting my suspension up even more for another 2 months while i try and save money for new shocks? also, what if i find out my car needs new springs (thats $200+ right there) or new mounts ($100 a piece)

i would already be -$111 in the hole before i even tried to purchase a set of shocks.. make that -$500 for a good set of shocks.

i think that would help realize to some people that everyone doesnt have money sitting around, and sometimes money has to go elsewhere first if there is any extra
Old 05-08-2009, 01:06 PM
On The Tree

Well some of us are on a budget and cant aford the grand of all parts sorry. But the economy is kinda in the pot and for a us car guy it hard for us to find the money for the good stuff so we have to settle for a little less exspensive stuff. If the big companies would run good sells i would buy the good stuff
Old 05-08-2009, 01:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by PONTIACTRANSAM94
Well some of us are on a budget and cant aford the grand of all parts sorry. But the economy is kinda in the pot and for a us car guy it hard for us to find the money for the good stuff so we have to settle for a little less exspensive stuff. If the big companies would run good sells i would buy the good stuff
i agree, to be 100% honest, i would rather put on a $200 set of shocks and have them last 50,000 miles twice, than to put a $400 set of shocks on and have them last 100,000 miles

and this is coming from someone who ALWAYS tries to buy the best stuff, i usually dont try and skimp when it comes with quality

its a simple matter of opportunity costs, and how money today is worth less than money tomorrow
Old 05-08-2009, 01:12 PM
On The Tree

I would like to buy the good stuff for my car, but now alot of times people want the best price on things. I work in parts at a motorcylce shop and people when they walk in are asking what the best price you can do on this part. If people can get it cheaper somewhere else or by a little less exspensive brand they will.......
Old 05-08-2009, 01:17 PM
On The Tree

I know i am not one to skimp on parts but i know i have to sometimes.
Old 05-08-2009, 01:33 PM
Staging Lane

Im faily new on this site and was looking into suspension upgrades in the near future. from this forum I am leaning towards getting the strano springs and 4/4 koni setup. What is really pissing me off is that it seems like every thread I go to about suspension becomes a sh*t show and sam your in the middle. what gives? I understand you know your stuff and the crowds speak highly of your product. You should speak your knowledge on here and get the respect from what you know. Leave the ego somewhere else. I want to buy your parts after the new rear goes in. I want the best possible suspension and I belive you have it. Thanks for making such a great product for what its worth it has been the best riding setup i have been in.

Last edited by amsoilguy; 05-08-2009 at 02:16 PM.
Old 05-08-2009, 01:58 PM
On The Tree

Well what you run into is tons of people that have the same intrest but have different taste and different outlooks on parts. I think everyone should express there opion on stuff. But you dont need to tell them how stupid they are for going with i little cheaper product. Not all of us can afford the great stuff. Im on a budget and there are probably alot of us that are on a budget to.
Old 05-08-2009, 02:15 PM
Staging Lane

I understand the opinions. I am an AMSOIL dealer. This is a product I have used for years and will not use anything else. when people ask what oil they should get I'll let them know how great the oil has been for me and answer questions they have. If they would rather keep there mobile 1 than so be it. I have used it all and tested it. I wont use mobile 1 anymore but thats my opinion. If someone wants to use what they like than thats it. All I can do is show them another option that they may want to look into. I will never start a on whos product is better. keep it professional and full of facts that are useful to help someone decide. this kinda represents what I was taking about a couple of post up. anyways thats how I feel
Old 05-08-2009, 02:34 PM
TECH Junkie

So much misinformation, misconceptions, people getting defensive, etc in threads today. I can see why all the more experienced ls1 guys got driven away, because sometimes the garbage that gets posted becomes overwhelming
Old 05-08-2009, 02:47 PM
Staging Lane

I know. I have met some cool people here. just take it for what its worth I read threads if I dont like where it goes i find something else. If it gets that bad I'll split. There is alot of good info on this site. I really like the strano/koni combo but i get so turned off by all the bs. oh well it is what is.
Old 05-08-2009, 02:56 PM
On The Tree

I sell amsoil here to and best oil ever made in my opinion. Someone comes in the shop and want oil for there bike i tell them spend the extra $9 bucks and buy the amsoil. Some people or like ok and others say i dont want to spend that much money on oil. Nothin is better than being able to by oil that last for 20,000 miles and still be good when you change it right.
Old 05-08-2009, 03:06 PM
Staging Lane

oh yeah! and 35000 mile oil changes (not for 95% of the cars on this site though) but for "normal" cars. i have seen pretty damn amazing noticeable things with it. I have been with it for over 10 years. never looking back
Old 05-08-2009, 03:08 PM
TECH Junkie

My advice for a lot of you people.. don't confuse criticism with insults. Keep an open mind and don't take things so personally.

The goal of this thread is to figure out what the best shock is for a smooth comfortable ride. Unfortunately there is no ultimate answer to this question. Ride comfort is extremely subjective. What one needs to figure out is what one considers acceptable for suspension travel, springrate, how the spring oscillates, etc. The crappy part for all of us is that shock dyno specs for various shocks is a rare thing to come by for our car. It would be nice to have a big comparison chart in a sticky, but none exist because no one has spent the time and money to do that.
Old 05-08-2009, 03:17 PM
On The Tree

it's funny how these threads always end like this
so I'll quote the wisest man I know which is my father
"you can lead a horse to water but It'll probably want 7 up"
Old 05-08-2009, 06:01 PM
TECH Resident

I think the reason Sam sells so much of his stuff is because he is a hell of a salesman and everyone seems to bow down to him but from reading his posts in this thread and other threads while searching about shocks I would have to think twice about ordering from him. Getting into pissing matches over the internet is not very professional. I guess when one has alot of money its not easy to understand what being on a budget is like. I have money but Im not going to drop close to $500 or more for shocks on a car I drive once a week if that. I think I will be fine with my purchase.
Old 05-08-2009, 06:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by z28bryan
So much misinformation, misconceptions, people getting defensive, etc in threads today. I can see why all the more experienced ls1 guys got driven away, because sometimes the garbage that gets posted becomes overwhelming
Yep, all the stupid kids are getting their hands on these cars since the price is coming down. The quality of people on this entire site is really going to ****..

Originally Posted by moderate Z28
I think the reason Sam sells so much of his stuff is because he is a hell of a salesman and everyone seems to bow down to him but from reading his posts in this thread and other threads while searching about shocks I would have to think twice about ordering from him. Getting into pissing matches over the internet is not very professional. I guess when one has alot of money its not easy to understand what being on a budget is like. I have money but Im not going to drop close to $500 or more for shocks on a car I drive once a week if that. I think I will be fine with my purchase.

I think Sam Strano sells so much of his stuff because he knows what the **** he is talking about and you sure as hell don't. You obviously don't know a damn thing about Sam to talk about him that way.

Unsubscribing from this thread...
Old 05-08-2009, 06:42 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 142 Likes on 92 Posts

Yep, it's a shame when a salesman won't tell you just what you want to hear....

I find it mind-boggling that I'm supposed to just sit here and take a bunch of crap from any old guy who wants to take a shot. Never mind if he has any real info. Let's just say Sam is a bad guy because he has the nerve to care about what he does for a living. And fwiw, my name is on the door, I'm the boss. If someone is pissed they are pissed at me. My job is to help folks, and if they are doing something that isn't good, I find it necessary to tell them (and with reaons why) That tends to annoy folks who think they know it all.

It's easy to throw stones. I'd ask you to but yourself in my position. I'm attacked for recommending good parts. I'm attacked or defending a position. It's amazing, and more than a little frustrating. I'm sure that comes out in my responses, because I'm sure you wouldn't like it if someone who you don't know, have never, met, and knows nothing about you was telling your boss that you are this and that and screwing with your paycheck.....

Have some respect for my accomplishments. For the fact I'm on here trying to educate. For the fact that most any customer of mine you talk to willl recommend me. If you are willing to write me off because I don't like being a pin-cushion, and without even the opprotunity to talk to you, then frankly I don't want your business. I know, that's ballsy, but frankly it's true. I really don't want to deal with folks who don't have an interest in how things work, or care about their results.

AND FOR THE LOVE OF JESUS CHRIST I HAVE NEVER SAID THAT EVERY SINGLE PERSON IN THE WORLD NEEDS TO BE ON KONIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I SELL MANY OTHER BRANDS, I DON'T CARE WHAT YOU BUY IF YOU DON'T. A SALE OF AGX'S IS AS GOOD AS A SALE ON KONI'S (and frankly less work because I don't have to go over setup).

Anyone who wants to discuss shocks for any reason (ride, handling, etc). Feel free to call me. That's what this thread was about until it became about a bunch of children whining about me. I'm out.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 05-08-2009, 06:55 PM
10 Second Club

You started this thread asking about the "best shocks these days for a smooth comfortable ride". You got your answer, Bilsteins, yet you ignored the suggestion totally and got the cheapest shocks they make.

you may as well have asked, "what are the cheapest shocks available?"

Don't bitch about the feedback you get, if you want the quality parts for the car you are going to spend more money for them.
Old 05-08-2009, 07:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RooRnZ28
You started this thread asking about the "best shocks these days for a smooth comfortable ride". You got your answer, Bilsteins, yet you ignored the suggestion totally and got the cheapest shocks they make.

you may as well have asked, "what are the cheapest shocks available?"

Don't bitch about the feedback you get, if you want the quality parts for the car you are going to spend more money for them.
read his first post, he stated that he cannot spend more than $350

he wanted the best shock for under $350, its not his fault that people cant read a thread, and offer him things he doesnt want.

im not directing this to any one person.. but to EVERYONE who posts on message boards.

you dont know how many times i have made a thread, and gave a price limit only to have people blatantly ignore it and go hundreds, if not thousands of dollars over the limit i said.. i have learned to just ignore these people.. i made a post on another forum asking a question about a carburetor, i said i wanted a holly and wanted to know what cfm i should get.. and wouldnt you know it, ihad a bunch of people telling me to get an edelbrock or demon.. i simply ignored them because they couldnt answer the question i asked

Quick Reply: Best shocks these days for a smooth comfortable ride