Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

tokico illumina series struts

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 04:14 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tokico illumina series struts

has anyone heard of these and are they any good. I found the regular tokicos for 60 each and the illumina series for 103 each. they will be going on my 2002 camaro w/1.5" drop springs.
Old 05-20-2009, 04:18 PM
Teching In

as far as shocks go, Tokico are pretty good, but I prefer Koni
Old 05-20-2009, 04:24 PM
Staging Lane

konis cost more than twice as much.... have u heard anything about the adjustable Tokico's?
Old 05-20-2009, 05:15 PM
Staging Lane

awe comon anyone.......
Old 05-20-2009, 05:19 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

Moot point... No such thing as a Tokico Illumina front for a 93-02 car. And fwiw, they are shocks, not struts. There are Illumina rears, but not fronts.

Clearly this is pricing based, and Koni's are twice as much because they are a lot, lot better. But you can look at KYB AGX's @ $390/set (which I have in stock). The non-adjustable Tokico's for about $350/set... but Illumina rear/non-adjustable fronts is just silly as the rears cost as much as Koni rears (the rears for the 4/3 set anyway).

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 05-21-2009, 12:40 AM
Staging Lane

Default sam

nevermind the site says strut but then it says rears; a missprint http://www.discountperformanceautopa...mart&Itemid=37

ad says;

Tokico BE3613 CHEVROLET CAMARO Shocks & Struts
( Tokico )
View Full-Size Image

Price: $ 113.28

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For Warranty Information and/or to Verify Fitment, Please Contact the Manufacturer Through the Link Above Prior to Completing Your Purchase

For a DISCOUNTED PRICE add this item to your cart and enter the coupon code provided in the cart!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rear 93-02 Cheverolet Camaro Illumina Series Adjustable Strut

Engineered specifically as a tuning device for the enthusiast who requires the ability to adjust both rebound and compression damping simultaneously with the turn of a screwdriver. The illumina offers a choice of 5 settings #1 for compliance thru #5 for maximum control. Illumina delivers performance and control for the track or the street and ride comfort for real world driving.
With a choice of 5 settings from the softest (#1) to the maximum control (#5) the illumina series allows drivers to easily change the balance overall handling or ride quality for everything from daily driving to autocross or even drag racing with a simple turn of a screwdriver at the stem top.
Old 05-21-2009, 12:57 AM
Staging Lane

btw love ur attitude, lost a sale would rather pay more than deal with that.... thanks
Old 05-21-2009, 01:40 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Shock, strut - we knew exactly what you meant. I remember when someone corrected me when I said "Rear Control Arms". They interjected and said, "You mean Lower Control Arms?" Whatever. They knew what I was talking about, but can't help it because some people jus' like to hear themselves talk.

Last edited by 02TransAm/Batmobile; 05-21-2009 at 01:47 AM.
Old 05-21-2009, 03:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Go with Koni or if you are on a budget the AGX's. My 2 cents...

I have the Koni single adjustables and am glad I made the investment as they handle my harsh G2 springs quite well.
Old 05-21-2009, 10:45 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

My attitude? The one that caused me to point out the information you had was wrong and explained why? I'm a terrible person.

Frankly, it does not bother me a bit if you don't want to buy from me. I prefer customers who want to understand their car and parts. If you prefer to believe whatever you read on ebay from companies that clearly have no clue about the product then more power to you.

Good luck.

There is a difference between a shock and a strut, just like there is a difference between automatic and manual transmissions. If you want to use a generic term, then the correct one would be damper. Otherwise a shock is a shock, a strut is a strut. And believe me I don't like to hear myself talk, but I find myself often correcting huge errors around here--like this one.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 05-21-2009, 11:23 AM
Staging Lane

Sam.... i didn't call u a "Terrible person" don't beat yourself up. thanks again.
Old 05-21-2009, 02:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
And believe me I don't like to hear myself talk, but I find myself often correcting huge errors around here--like this one.
Please, please, please show me where this "huge" error occured?

I saw it as a misspring or a typo.
Old 05-21-2009, 02:25 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

The huge error is assuming shocks and struts are the same damned thing. They are not, they mount to the suspension in completely different ways, and struts carry lateral loads, shocks do not. That might not matter to you, but to me it's no different than some one telling Katech that all camshafts are pretty much the same.

If a person doe not know the difference between a shock and a strut, and that person doesn't know that 4th gens in fact do not use struts anywhere--then that person should not be talking like they know what's what.

Old 05-21-2009, 03:06 PM
TECH Junkie

The huge error is assuming shocks and struts are the same damned thing. They are not, they mount to the suspension in completely different ways, and struts carry lateral loads, shocks do not. That might not matter to you, but to me it's no different than some one telling Katech that all camshafts are pretty much the same.

If a person doe not know the difference between a shock and a strut, and that person doesn't know that 4th gens in fact do not use struts anywhere--then that person should not be talking like they know what's what.
Wow.

To the original poster: Don't feel bad. Sam also had to tell me the definition of "ignorance" - which I knew.
Old 05-21-2009, 03:56 PM
Staging Lane

dont feel bad. the actual website i was looking at above messed up. im sure sam doesn't mean to talk to people like their stupid he just was raised wrong.
Old 05-21-2009, 04:04 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I can't know who is actually stupid and who's not...... Should I assume everyone is very knowledgeable? Then I'm accused of being elitist and talking purposely over a person's head.

Fact is there are stupid people in the world. I really don't know if you are or aren't. Realistically, who thinks they are????? Nobody. I don't think either of you are stupid, just not fully aware that details matter. If you want to spend money on a whim or a guess, go ahead...

And it's wise to remember this is a public forum, not a private discussion only seen by two people.... A shocking number of folks have no idea that ignorant and stupid are not the same things. And more to the point, if you do know something, someone else ready may not and educational posts are as much for those not posting as those that are.

My name is Sam Strano. I have a problem. It matters to me the products I sell and the results the customer gets are correct for their needs. Seems you all would prefer a more used-car salesman type.

I'm quite done. Go buy the Illumina's they are perfect for what you want. Does that make you feel better?

Old 05-21-2009, 05:11 PM
TECH Resident

I'm quite done. Go buy the Illumina's they are perfect for what you want. Does that make you feel better?

Sorry, couldn't resist.
Old 05-21-2009, 06:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by JamRWS6

Sorry, couldn't resist.
Don't see the ownage there. Jus' sarcasm. However, 02NMBWS6 did own you:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...stalled-5.html

Post number 99:
Old 05-21-2009, 08:06 PM
Staging Lane

ya. what up homie im in the springs smart *** i'll meet u half way! so shut the f!@#k up before u get smacked the Fu!@k up... im tired of these fucken **** on the net tryin to act hard when they could loose it all!

Quick Reply: tokico illumina series struts