Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Strano/Koni Set-up AutoX results/ Review update

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 03:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Strano/Koni Set-up AutoX results/ Review update

So some of you may remember I posted a long review of my Strano/Koni setup as it compared to stock...here's the link: https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...4-4s-long.html

Anyway, since that time, I've added my PHB and a BMR adjustable torque arm (Sorry Sam, I had to buy local as my stock one s@#t the bed, otherwise I'd have ordered from you) and new wheels with 315/30/18s (Falken Azenis 615s) on the back and the same 275/40/17s (Toyo Proxes T1S) on the front as in the previous review. Konis were two sweeps from full stiff in the front, rears were 1.5 turns from full soft in the rear...so that's the conditions.

With that, I readressed the same two turns and resulted in the exact same G-rating max: 1.12g right and 1.02g left although it did seemed a little easier to do, but that may have just been practice. Of course I wasn't really expecting those upgrades to yield much change in G rating, just more stability in the turn, which I think it probably did.

Yesterday, I finally got out to a local AutoX event and reset my G-Meter between runs to see just how far I could push this suspension without the threat of running off the road and crashing my car. I managed to register a best of 1.27g on my g-meter w/ the same street tires I used on the turns described above. I had almost no oversteer whatsoever (credit the 315s) which actually resulted in a good bit of understeer unfortunately. So sounds like better tires up front and Sam's Sway bars w/ adjustable rear are in my future (of course I was going to do that anyway).

So there ya have it...I know it's not an official G rating for the setup and one of these days I'll have to get out to a real skidpad and see what it can do...but for comparison sakes, in previous AutoX on stock suspension, I was never able to get over 1g.
Old 05-24-2009, 03:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice setup, I cant afford a TQ yet and opted for a simple prothane TQ bushing, from what I have seen it's helped alot. I think that and with new LCA bushings it will help my oversteer issues.

I won't be running any slicks anytime soon so I hope this does me good for now.

How much negative camber are you running? It might help to give it a little more too.

Right now I'm deciding how to run more - camber. Bushings or upper control arms.
Old 05-24-2009, 04:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 2000Z28M6
Nice setup, I cant afford a TQ yet and opted for a simple prothane TQ bushing, from what I have seen it's helped alot. I think that and with new LCA bushings it will help my oversteer issues.
Yea, I tried the poly torque arm busing, but the bolt holes where the torque arm mounts to the rear end had warped causing the arm to slide back and forth on launch and braking making a nice, loud, frustrating clunk.

Originally Posted by 2000Z28M6
How much negative camber are you running? It might help to give it a little more too.
I'm at right about -1 degree camber thats just about as much as I want to go because I daily drive it and don't want to go through tires too much.
Old 06-19-2009, 01:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So how do you do against other cars at auto x? People always say, "muscle cars handle like crap, I'd rather have a Civic or 350Z". What kind of cars are you hanging with?
Old 06-19-2009, 02:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

His results are really going to depend on his experience vs his opponents experience.

Also.. any comparison comments between handling? You only seemed to be using your g-meter to do the comparisons. Wouldn't tires and camber make more a difference in lateral G ratings than suspension? Of course you gain negative camber with the lowered ride height. Stock/konis compared with Strano/konis is an amazing improvement at the autox course. You can just go ***** out and drive with the Stranos compared to working/easing the car's suspension travel between bumpstops on the stock springs.

And you have a cam too. A cammed or head/cammed camaro like I have is extremely hard to compete with. It sure as hell is fun to drive though
Old 07-03-2009, 12:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by z28bryan
His results are really going to depend on his experience vs his opponents experience.
This is so true, I was significantly faster than a buddy of mine wit a Mini S, another with a GTI, another with an SRT 4 ACR, and still another with a Mustang and full Griggs Racing suspension. That said, a guy there with a Stock SS was fast than me

So there ya have it.

Originally Posted by z28bryan
Also.. any comparison comments between handling? You only seemed to be using your g-meter to do the comparisons. Wouldn't tires and camber make more a difference in lateral G ratings than suspension? Of course you gain negative camber with the lowered ride height. Stock/konis compared with Strano/konis is an amazing improvement at the autox course. You can just go ***** out and drive with the Stranos compared to working/easing the car's suspension travel between bumpstops on the stock springs.

And you have a cam too. A cammed or head/cammed camaro like I have is extremely hard to compete with. It sure as hell is fun to drive though
I mostly used the G-meter because it was an objective comparison not my opinion...I figured so many people on here say the strano/koni setup is the greatest thing EVER that another person saying the same didn't really help people considering the investment. I had the ability to be objective with it, so I figured I would.

Now, if you want my opinion...the strano/koni setup is the greatest thing EVER! Seriously though, what an amazing difference. The car is just so much more predicatable, stable, and just begs for you to try and find it's limit...honestly I haven't yet.

As far as camber, I had the car realigned after the suspension and it's got exactly -.9 degrees of camber and the rest is stock...I'm sure that's a factor in the handling, but my comparisons were meant to be a before and after, not so much a part-by-part comparison.

As far as tires...if you look at the link above in my very first write-up I was using the same tires as I was with the stock suspension and I netted a full tenth of a g improvement with the strano/koni setup. So the mechanical suspension definitely has an effect...you have to remember if the suspension is doing a better job of putting the tire in contact with the road...your going to grip better.

Quick Reply: Strano/Koni Set-up AutoX results/ Review update