Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Koni SA/Strano Springs at da track???

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 04:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Koni SA/Strano Springs at da track???

I went to the track this past weekend for the first time since my swap into Koni SA's/Strano springs...long story short, my 60's were horrible and tires spun pretty bad. the car was not lifting from the front at all so i was getting no weight transfer help! i have new m/t dr.s and others did cut decent 60's so i know track prep wasnt the real issue...im wondering if my spring/shock set-up was the problem and i'm hoping some adjustment of the shocks will help better the problem i had because i really do enjoy the ride of this set-up on the street and the look is killer!!

for you guys running this set-up that visit the track, what settings are you running the koni's at? did any of you also experience this problem at the track?? i do remember seeing when the strano springs were introduced, many ppl actually bettered their 60's but the search option has been no help!

any help is GREATLY appreciated!!!!
Old 06-02-2009, 04:56 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you buy them from Sam? If so, you might try giving him a call...

You just have to keep in mind that your car is not set up for the drag strip - what kind of 60' times are we talking about here? Post up your entire time slip so we can see what you're working with.
Old 06-02-2009, 05:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

yeah i attempted calling Sam but the line was busy the times i called...i know he.s a pretty busy guy as it is!

i was in the 2.1-2.2 60' range...i.d like to be in the 1.7-1.8 range. i understand that it.d be pretty tough getting into the 1.6x and below 60' range without a drag specific set-up...

i guess im trying to see if other.s have been successful in adjusting their combo to acheive a decent 60'...if so, what are some recommended adjustments that have worked so that i might be able to toy around with.

fyi - this is a 400rwhp car that in (crappy) 5k+ DA still ran 12.6's despite the mentioned 60's
Old 06-02-2009, 06:57 PM
Launching!

well you did by shocks and spring meant for handling, so maybe get some qa1's if you want real good 60 ft's
Old 06-02-2009, 07:43 PM
TECH Regular

No expert here but your set up will be more for handling than the drag srtip. When you lower the car and use stiffer rear springs you're not going to get the rear end to squat It's a trade off better handling and street performance with Strano/Koni set up or more toward a drag set up with QA1's and 150 or 200lbs front springs or something similar. You might find a balance for both but if it was your 1st time out I'm sure you'll have to play with the adjustments.
Old 06-02-2009, 08:19 PM
12 Second Club

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I have Strano bars, springs and Koni SAs and the first time out with them my best 60' was 1.723 with MT DRs. I was also blowing through my convertor so hopefully next time out with the new one, I can improve on that.
Old 06-02-2009, 10:28 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Chocolate Apocalypse
I have Strano bars, springs and Koni SAs and the first time out with them my best 60' was 1.723 with MT DRs. I was also blowing through my convertor so hopefully next time out with the new one, I can improve on that.
What are ur adjustments at and such? i wouldnt mind a lower 1.7 60ft, and be able to handle corners. Thanks.
Old 06-02-2009, 10:32 PM
12 Second Club

Rears are 1/2 turn from full soft and fronts are 4 1/2 sweeps from full soft if I remember right, pretty standard stuff. Nothing is changed for the track but the DRs.
Old 06-02-2009, 10:40 PM
11 Second Club

Wow, seeing your results. may have just made me go this way in my new suspension setup.
Old 06-02-2009, 10:57 PM
12 Second Club

I love the way the car looks and handles. Weekend before last I was at the LA Invasion and we cruised up to Big Bear, tearing up winding mountain roads and it was stuck like glue, AWESOME!!!!
To the OP, are there any other suspension mods done, LCA relocation brackets maybe? If you checkout my FQuick page there is a vid and you can see there isnt a whole lot of weight transfer, some but not much. Skip to 2:38, everything before that is H/C install. lol The first run I spun a bit but the second is the 1.72 60'.
Old 06-03-2009, 09:44 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Midnite_LS1
i guess im trying to see if other.s have been successful in adjusting their combo to acheive a decent 60'...if so, what are some recommended adjustments that have worked so that i might be able to toy around with.
Originally Posted by Chocolate Apocalypse
Rears are 1/2 turn from full soft and fronts are 4 1/2 sweeps from full soft if I remember right, pretty standard stuff. Nothing is changed for the track but the DRs.
For single adjustables at a drag strip, I would have gone full soft in the front and full stiff in the back.

Think about it for a second.....

I wouldn't want to drive around like that every day but that's why you bought adjustable shocks.

Last edited by Ironhead; 06-03-2009 at 11:04 AM.
Old 06-03-2009, 09:48 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Ironhead
For single adjustables at a drag strip, I would have gone full soft in the front and full stiff in the back.

Think about it for a second.....

I wouldn't want to drive around like that every day but that's why you bought adjustable shocks.
I agree w/ the full soft in the front but it doesn't make sense for full stiff in the back. You want it just stiff enough to keep from bouncing. You want the rears to compress for weight transfer.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:00 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by JamRWS6
I agree w/ the full soft in the front but it doesn't make sense for full stiff in the back. You want it just stiff enough to keep from bouncing. You want the rears to compress for weight transfer.
You realize that Koni SAs are adjustable for rebound, right? Setting them at full stiff has no effect on compression.

Therefore, at full stiff when the rears compress they will want to extend more slowly. In other words, once the rear is loaded it will want to resist becoming unloaded.

Front full soft = front comes up easier
Rear full stiff = the rear stays down longer
Old 06-03-2009, 10:03 AM
pjb
TECH Resident

I think it was mentioned, but you may want to look into LCA relocation brackets. I just got some UMIs and they made a difference.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:33 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Ironhead
You realize that Koni SAs are adjustable for rebound, right? Setting them at full stiff has no effect on compression.

Therefore, at full stiff when the rears compress they will want to extend more slowly. In other words, once the rear is loaded it will want to resist becoming unloaded.

Front full soft = front comes up easier
Rear full stiff = the rear stays down longer
For some reason I thought the OP had the DAs. I agree w/ you on the above.
Old 06-03-2009, 12:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Suspension may not be the only factor. 60 times seems like a driver mod could help. Maybe you might need to drive the car differently with a different setup. There's lots of things involved between your foot and the bottom of the rear tire.
Old 06-03-2009, 02:11 PM
Launching!

Agreed.

I've pulled 2.0 60's on pebbly, unprepped, 60 year old concrete. This was with no changes to the shocks, rear LCAs pointed in the "wrong" direction and on low profile Hoosiers. Bone stock (CAI and cat back only) LT1.

I know Sam has gone at least 1.9 in the 60 on similar surfaces with a similar suspension setup (but significantly more hp ).
Old 06-03-2009, 02:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ironhead - thanks for the quick schooling on how these SA's work! my question on the front...if i have them set at full soft, will i encounter any crazy "bounce" goin down the strip?

z28bryan...i am a lil rusty and agree that i need to find where the car likes to launch on this new set-up...but i was also worried about the car not poppin' up and transfering weight like i had been used to...so i mainly wanted feedback on recommended settings for these shocks so i could go back n play with it so i can find the "sweet spot" for launching the car n bettering this 60' time!

any others with personal experience with theis combo??
Old 06-03-2009, 02:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Should it be suprising that you going from stock to a lowering spring that your front end doesn't come up as much?
Old 06-03-2009, 02:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Midnite_LS1
Ironhead - thanks for the quick schooling on how these SA's work! my question on the front...if i have them set at full soft, will i encounter any crazy "bounce" goin down the strip?
It probably won't be bouncing because there are no bumps on the 'strip, but it will more than likely feel more floaty.

z28bryan...i am a lil rusty and agree that i need to find where the car likes to launch on this new set-up...but i was also worried about the car not poppin' up and transfering weight like i had been used to...so i mainly wanted feedback on recommended settings for these shocks so i could go back n play with it so i can find the "sweet spot" for launching the car n bettering this 60' time!
Yeah you have to realize that the setup you have now is built to not transfer weight quickly, its the opposite of a drag setup.
Also what kind of tires are you running?

Quick Reply: Koni SA/Strano Springs at da track???