Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

chrome moly LCAs worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 07:07 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default chrome moly LCAs worth it?

or mild steel? Only a $40 difference and i have a habit of buying whatever is more expensive. Please help.
Old 06-04-2009, 11:10 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

on a lower control arm...absolutely no benefit regarding deflection given the same wall and diameter. Stay away from some of the overbuilt heavy configurations. You're not gaining anything by an overbuilt product that is adding unsprung weight.

Last edited by SJM Manufacturing Inc; 06-04-2009 at 11:18 PM.
Old 06-05-2009, 02:25 AM
TECH Junkie

I'm not even sure if aftermarket LCA's are worth it let alone chrome moly versions.
Old 06-05-2009, 07:26 AM
TECH Addict

yes they are worth it, especially if lowered. if you want to save even more weight, get aluminum LCA. theyre even cheaper then any other steel or CM.
Old 06-05-2009, 11:09 AM
12 Second Club

i see, thanks guys.
Old 06-05-2009, 12:33 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by spy2520
or mild steel? Only a $40 difference and i have a habit of buying whatever is more expensive. Please help.
Hello, like Steve from SJM said the benefits are in weight reduction. The mild steel arms are heavier but will do the job fine.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 06-05-2009, 01:44 PM
Launching!

im pretty sure the weight difference is only about 4 pounds for both of them
Old 06-06-2009, 02:38 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by tavi_ws6
im pretty sure the weight difference is only about 4 pounds for both of them
Nope, try 0.9 lbs. According to GM High Tech: "The BMR LCA's are much beefier, yet they incur no weight penalty because they are chrome-moly (the stockers are 4.5 lbs each, versus 3.4 lbs for the BMR's).
Old 06-06-2009, 07:30 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 02TransAm/Batmobile
Nope, try 0.9 lbs. According to GM High Tech: "The BMR LCA's are much beefier, yet they incur no weight penalty because they are chrome-moly (the stockers are 4.5 lbs each, versus 3.4 lbs for the BMR's).
uh huh......and yet no one listened to me? look at this if you want to save weight. 2.5lbs each

http://www.hotpart.com/shop/index.ph...ct_detail&p=61
Old 06-06-2009, 09:50 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by EchoMirage
uh huh......and yet no one listened to me? look at this if you want to save weight. 2.5lbs each
These suspension pieces will deflect more than almost every companies steel LCA setup. Personally, I'd stay away from aluminum LCA as there are concerns associated.

Our 4130 Cr Mo. LCA is USPS scaled at 2lbs 12oz. Our setup is 199.99 complete and includes an upgraded 1/2" bolt kit.. We use 1.25" OD diamater tubing with a .095" wall. All tig welded of course.

They are located here: http://www.sjmmanufacturing.com/deals.html#
Old 06-06-2009, 06:26 PM
TECH Addict

i know people who have been autoxing and road racing with those LCA an have had no issues whatsoever. i know someone with a late model dirt car, uses the same kind of aluminum parts on everything, and nothing has gone wrong. the rod ends will pull out of the threads before they ever bend or brake. and this is going through dirt, potholes, mud, not to mention beating and banging other cars.
Old 06-06-2009, 08:11 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by EchoMirage
i know people who have been autoxing and road racing with those LCA an have had no issues whatsoever. i know someone with a late model dirt car, uses the same kind of aluminum parts on everything, and nothing has gone wrong. the rod ends will pull out of the threads before they ever bend or brake. and this is going through dirt, potholes, mud, not to mention beating and banging other cars.
This is a healthy conversation. I'm not going to debate LCA and PHR's as they have been beaten to death for years and years. I'm not stating that aluminum pieces are bad. I'm stating they deflect greater than any steel manufactures counterpart (considering the aluminum material used in production of those LCA's). This is easily proven with a few simple calculations. Some data which may not have been discussed may be as such…I do not know if this is above your knowledge or not, bare with me if this is common knowledge to you, it may not be to others. Aluminum doesn't have a normal fatigue limit... replacement should be taken into consideration over time due to stress fractures. The constant cyclical stress is inherent.

Thread issues will arise overtime between the aluminum thread of the ends and steel thread of the rod end. Galling is a reality. The rod ends male thread will have a tendency to loosen in the female aluminum end...this will create galling as well as increased tolerances. The life of the component is limited whereas stress cracks can/will occur.

If you compare it to other setups ...components using those heavy Johnny joints or other unnecessarily overbuilt and overly heavy configurations etc., than you may consider weighing benefits...

For the advantages of steel in direct comparison to our products ours are a far better value and will perform better and last longer.

Last edited by SJM Manufacturing Inc; 06-06-2009 at 08:19 PM.