Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Question on LCA relocation brackets on a stock ride height car

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 08:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Question on LCA relocation brackets on a stock ride height car

Recently I swapped a new rear end into my car from a 01 WS6. It already has relocation brackets for the control arms welded on (not sure what brand they are). Otherwise my suspension is 100% stock currently, other then poly engine, tranny, and torque arm mounts and swaybar end links.

Anyway, when I installed the new rear end I hooked up the LCAs to the lower pair of holes in the brackets. It drove OK but I noted some wheel hop, then read a bit about instant center online and figured it probably was not a good idea to have the LCAs down that far on a stock height car.

I switched the LCAs from the lower hole to the next one up (the stock holes are used to mount the brackets so I have to go lower then stock no matter what) but I noticed that there was barely enough room between the sway bar and the control arm. I took the car for a drive and noted some clunks in the rear on either side when doing sharp turns. I'm not sure what it is - I'm thinking either my exhaust is clunking around or the LCAs are rubbing on the sway bar when that side of the suspension travels down.

Anyone run into this before?
Old 06-08-2009, 07:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

bump ttt
Old 06-08-2009, 07:41 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up A suggestion for you!

Hello
We have experienced the best performance with the lower control arm relocation brackets when using the lowest holes. What type of rear end did you install? And is everything tightened up in the rear? And are the bushings in good shape? If you can get back to me with that info and I will be more than glad to get you going in the right direction.
Thanks
Brad
Old 06-08-2009, 09:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by UMI Sales
Hello
We have experienced the best performance with the lower control arm relocation brackets when using the lowest holes. What type of rear end did you install? And is everything tightened up in the rear? And are the bushings in good shape? If you can get back to me with that info and I will be more than glad to get you going in the right direction.
Thanks
Brad
Thanks for the response Brad!

When you say "best performance", do you mean for handling or traction? I am more concerned with handling than traction.

It's a stock 10 bolt rear end, except for the relocation brackets and a TA support girdle. I believe everything is tight although I haven't torqued anything to specs. The bushings in the control arms look OK to me, as do the ones in the panhard bar - although the small ones in the bottom of the shocks where the mounting bolt is are definitely shot (not sure how big a role those play).

Any tips would be very much appreciated!
Old 06-10-2009, 12:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

bump...
Old 06-10-2009, 12:35 AM
12 Second Club

i've had trouble with LCAs clunking when they werent torqued to spec.
Old 06-10-2009, 06:54 AM
pjb
TECH Resident

loosen the front and rear bolts of the LCA. with the weight of the car on the wheels, tighten them back up.
Old 06-10-2009, 07:15 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Purple95Z28
Thanks for the response Brad!

When you say "best performance", do you mean for handling or traction? I am more concerned with handling than traction.

It's a stock 10 bolt rear end, except for the relocation brackets and a TA support girdle. I believe everything is tight although I haven't torqued anything to specs. The bushings in the control arms look OK to me, as do the ones in the panhard bar - although the small ones in the bottom of the shocks where the mounting bolt is are definitely shot (not sure how big a role those play).

Any tips would be very much appreciated!
Hello
When I was talking about the best performance. I was more talking about the traction issue. But the Relocation Brackets feature 2 settings and you can adjust them to your own preference to see how the vehicle reacts. If you have any other questions feel free to ask and I will be more than glad to help!
Thanks
Brad

Quick Reply: Question on LCA relocation brackets on a stock ride height car