Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Fron lower control arm bolts!! Help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 10:49 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Fron lower control arm bolts!! Help!

I'm trying to replace the bushings in my lower control arms with rubber Moog ones since the factory ones in the arms are all busted up. My problem comes in because I cannot get the bolts all the way out in order to pull the arm off. I can get the nuts loose and the bolts will move but they hit on spots and wont' come all the way out. The front bolt that is horizontal hits on the tie rod and the back one that runs vertical seems like it hits on the body. Are they supposed to be easier to pull than this?
Old 06-07-2009, 01:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The front bolt which is horizontal can be removed if you turn the steering wheel to the opposite lock direction (i.e. move the tie rod end boot out of the way). The rear vertical bolt should just come right out. You may have to wiggle/angle the control arm to get the head of the bolt to clear the frame.
Old 06-07-2009, 02:45 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by major_lee_slow
the front bolt which is horizontal can be removed if you turn the steering wheel to the opposite lock direction (i.e. Move the tie rod end boot out of the way). The rear vertical bolt should just come right out. You may have to wiggle/angle the control arm to get the head of the bolt to clear the frame.
bingo!
Old 06-07-2009, 04:35 PM
TECH Addict

I could get the front bolt out by turning the wheel. The rear one still hits the car. LOL Looks like I will save it for another day.
Old 06-07-2009, 07:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by porksoda
The rear one still hits the car.
Push the A-Arm all the way in (towards the center).

The captured washer hits the inner fender when the A-Arm is pulled 1/2 or more towards the outside edge.

I slot the K-Member in order to get more camber and more caster. The head of the bolt limits positive caster travel. So I bevel the side bolt head to tuck it under that inner fender.

Quick Reply: Fron lower control arm bolts!! Help!