Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Ground Control Coil Over !! Link inside.

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 12:05 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ironhead
You also have to understand that no matter what shock you purchase, the ride will necessarily become firmer when you significantly decrease your suspension travel, aka "lowering the car".

The absolute best ride will always be factory springs and quality shocks.

Anything else is a tradeoff between ride height/appearance, spring rate/performance and ride comfort. Only you can answer what degree of tradeoff is right for you.

Many, many, many, many people here just don't seem to get this.
yup. learned that really quick after the first long distance trip with all bridge expansion joints etc. A balance is def. the most important (depending on owner); I think I'm somewhere there, but may need a few tweaks after more driving.
Old 06-10-2009, 08:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ironhead
You also have to understand that no matter what shock you purchase, the ride will necessarily become firmer when you significantly decrease your suspension travel, aka "lowering the car".

The absolute best ride will always be factory springs and quality shocks.

Anything else is a tradeoff between ride height/appearance, spring rate/performance and ride comfort. Only you can answer what degree of tradeoff is right for you.

Many, many, many, many people here just don't seem to get this.
Hmmmm, very good info, thanks a lot.

So basically , let me make sure I understood that 100% :

1- lowering the car will get you 100% appearance satisfaction if it turns out the exact way you wanted it to look. However, you sacrifice
ride comfort NO MATTER how good the shocks are.

2- Keeping the car stock height with Konis all around will get you %100 comfort satisfaction, however, you sacrifice appearance if you're not satisfied with stock height.

3- It is simply impossible to enjoy both worlds.

Did I understand you ?!! Anything I said above is wrong ?

Thanks again guys.
Old 06-10-2009, 08:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Foxxtron

BTW, thanks for being patient with all of the advice. I know it can be tough sometimes.
No, thank YOU for helping me understand these things before I start shopping around, thanks so much.
Old 06-10-2009, 09:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by powerhousecamaro
Hmmmm, very good info, thanks a lot.

So basically , let me make sure I understood that 100% :

1- lowering the car will get you 100% appearance satisfaction if it turns out the exact way you wanted it to look. However, you sacrifice
ride comfort NO MATTER how good the shocks are.

2- Keeping the car stock height with Konis all around will get you %100 comfort satisfaction, however, you sacrifice appearance if you're not satisfied with stock height.

3- It is simply impossible to enjoy both worlds.

Did I understand you ?!! Anything I said above is wrong ?

Thanks again guys.
Generally, by reading what you're stated above, you understand that there will be compromises, however when it comes to "feel" and "appreciation" of ride quality, this will be highly subjective.

Heck, when my car was lowered with some really stiff spring rates with good shock valving, my 72 yr-old mother who still works full-time on her feet as a registerd nurse balked at my description of what I did with the car.

Guess what? When I had to give rides to her and her 84-yr old husband several times, they actually tought it was "way better" and much more "luxurious" than the previous configuration, which was stock springs and Koni DA's. Heck, even another friend of my mother who took a ride with myself and my mother commented out of nowhere, that "it was a comfy ride (smiling)." I stand 5'10", weigh 215 lbs with 18% body fat and when I also gave my friend a ride to work, who weighs nearly 400 lbs. and stands 6'4" with 27% body fat thought "it was just right." Again, this is just something I observed.

EDIT: BTW, this was in Houston, TX, where road quality is as predictable as some of the weather.

Yes, those compromises you mentioned will certainly happen, however how the individual who opts for their selected modification will react to the "appreciation of the feel" is a bit difficult for others to predict for the masses. Also, with what's been stated ANY Automobile design will be compromised by chassis design per se, however there are options to get improve performance and looks whilst carefully compromising ride quality. I appear a bit silly typing this, however this is just something I've observed.

Last edited by Foxxtron; 06-10-2009 at 09:17 PM.
Old 06-10-2009, 09:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Foxxtron
Generally, by reading what you're stated above, you understand that there will be compromises, however when it comes to "feel" and "appreciation" of ride quality, this will be highly subjective.

Heck, when my car was lowered with some really stiff spring rates with good shock valving, my 72 yr-old mother who still works full-time on her feet as a registerd nurse balked at my description of what I did with the car.

Guess what? When I had to give rides to her and her 84-yr old husband several times, they actually tought it was "way better" and much more "luxurious" than the previous configuration, which was stock springs and Koni DA's. Heck, even another friend of my mother who took a ride with myself and my mother commented out of nowhere, that "it was a comfy ride (smiling)." I stand 5'10", weigh 215 lbs with 18% body fat and when I also gave my friend a ride to work, who weighs nearly 400 lbs. and stands 6'4" with 27% body fat thought "it was just right." Again, this is just something I observed.

EDIT: BTW, this was in Houston, TX, where road quality is as predictable as some of the weather.

Yes, those compromises you mentioned will certainly happen, however how the individual who opts for their selected modification will react to the "appreciation of the feel" is a bit difficult for others to predict for the masses. Also, with what's been stated ANY Automobile design will be compromised by chassis design per se, however there are options to get improve performance and looks whilst carefully compromising ride quality. I appear a bit silly typing this, however this is just something I've observed.
I have to admit, I have NEVER seen a 72 year old women riding an F body .
Thanks for the info brother.
Adam

Quick Reply: Ground Control Coil Over !! Link inside.