Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Can you weld in Sub Frame connectors on a regular lift?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 05:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Can you weld in Sub Frame connectors on a regular lift?

When all four wheels of the car are on the ground the frame is straight. There are four pads on a regular shop lift that are affixed to the lift arms by jack screws. If I lift my car with a regular lift the unibody will be tweaked when I weld in the sub frame connectors so when I sit it back on the ground however slightly the frame was contorted it will want to stay that way when the car sits back down on the ground. How do you guys do it?
Old 06-08-2009, 05:59 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alignment rack is better cause everything is loaded like it will be when in use. Atleast that is how I had mine done.
Old 06-08-2009, 06:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thats what I was thinking, my consern was getting them in while on the rack. I suppose I could lift the car up while its on the rack to get um in and feed the LCA bolt thru the eyelet and drop it back down and still have enough room to get the tip in there. My other thought was trying to find 4 ramps and lieing on my back.
Old 06-08-2009, 06:05 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would do all the prep work on the regular lift like your grinding and what not for a good spot for welding that way the hard part is done in the open.
Old 06-08-2009, 07:35 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Do all your prep work on the lift, site the car down on blocks. With the suspension fully loaded put a few beads on all weld spots. You may then put the car back up in the air and weld some additional beads.

Hope that helps,
Ryan
Old 06-08-2009, 10:01 PM
Staging Lane

Yes, to the above. Keep the suspension fully loaded. For the driveway guys out there, including yours truly, drive the front wheels on to the ramps. Then jack up the rear and place the jack stands under the axle housing. Keep the car as level as possible. This set up allows for the removal of the rear wheels giving you more working room.

On my car, I used a bolt on set and then welded a bead on each corner to insure stability. The bolt ons allowed for a tight match up before welding, and I did not have to mess around with the gas lines.
Old 06-08-2009, 10:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I used the alignment rack at my work to do it. also, pull the carpet up in the front!!!! that floor gets HOT

Quick Reply: Can you weld in Sub Frame connectors on a regular lift?