Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Why are my rear wheels leaning in? Please Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 05:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Why are my rear wheels leaning in? Please Help!!

Alright the rear wheels on my friends car are leaning in at the top causing the tires to wear on the inside. It has ebaich springs, bilstein shocks, after market control arms, bmr control arm relocation brackets, and a stock torque arm with a stock ten bolt. the rims are not bent the axles are good cause they are brand new. It also has an after market ajb pan hard bar. Has anyone else had this problem?
Old 06-09-2009, 05:48 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Have you had the car on a 4 wheel alignment rack, and measured the actual amount of camber? It is possible that there's a little "slop" in the splines of the axle, where it fits into the carrier, and maybe a little atthe outer bearings, which could cause this. If it's any consolation, it DOES help cornering a little.....
Old 06-09-2009, 05:52 PM
12 Second Club

If the wheels are cambered out on a solid axle car like ours then the bearings in that rear must really be shot, no "little" wear is gonna do that, not enough for you to see it anyway. Check to see if the axle tubes are bent also.
Old 06-09-2009, 08:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

A solid axle car has no camber adjustment, and camber should always be in spec as long as nothing is bent.

Sounds like your friend has a bent axle or axle tube, thats about the only way you're going to get a noticeable amount of negative camber. Its also possible that it has a bad wheel bearing, but the bearing would most likely have to be completely disintegrated, which will generally make horrible sounds when the car is driven.
Old 06-10-2009, 06:23 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

OK, I just had my car ('96 Z-28) on a Hunter "HawkEye" alignment rack two times about a month ago, as I was playing around with the alignment. My "rear camber" numbers the first time were (-).6 degrees left, and (+).3 degrees right. The second time, the numbers were a little different, (-).9 degrees left, and (+).6 degrees right.

What that's telling me is that my axle, for some reason, is not level across the car. Maybe the rear tires, even tough they're the same size, aren't quite the same OD, so the left side sits a tad higher. It's also telling me that it wasn't sitting EXACTLY the same on the rack, on both occasions.

I'm the original owner of the car, so I know it's history...It's never been wrecked, and the rear end hasn't seen any harsh impact, enough to bend an axle tube. Maybe it's an example of GM's "quality control", and just plain "not square" from the outset. We all know how good GM has gotten at building "square" and "balanced" driveshafts....

I think the OP should provide some actual camber numbers. Are BOTH wheels showing negative camber?
Old 06-10-2009, 11:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Perhaps some guy bent the tubes? I've bent mine using a torch so that I have -.4 on each wheel. You can't really see it, even when standing right behind the car while it's on a lift, though.

If you can see the leaning, something is broken. Bad.
Old 06-10-2009, 09:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

its a rear end that he got out of a junk yard so its probably bent lol
Old 06-11-2009, 12:14 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
OK, I just had my car ('96 Z-28) on a Hunter "HawkEye" alignment rack two times about a month ago, as I was playing around with the alignment. My "rear camber" numbers the first time were (-).6 degrees left, and (+).3 degrees right. The second time, the numbers were a little different, (-).9 degrees left, and (+).6 degrees right.

What that's telling me is that my axle, for some reason, is not level across the car. Maybe the rear tires, even tough they're the same size, aren't quite the same OD, so the left side sits a tad higher. It's also telling me that it wasn't sitting EXACTLY the same on the rack, on both occasions.

I'm the original owner of the car, so I know it's history...It's never been wrecked, and the rear end hasn't seen any harsh impact, enough to bend an axle tube. Maybe it's an example of GM's "quality control", and just plain "not square" from the outset. We all know how good GM has gotten at building "square" and "balanced" driveshafts....

I think the OP should provide some actual camber numbers. Are BOTH wheels showing negative camber?
honestly i've seen ALOT of cars and trucks like that. I cant explain why either. On multiple alignment racks too.

I just wanna add that if one tire is a little low on air in the back it will cause that side to appear + while the other side is -.