Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

How much smaller are ear drag brakes compared to LT1

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 03:30 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How much smaller are ear drag brakes compared to LT1

Im thinking about ordering a set of rear drag brakes and was wondering how much smaller they are than my stock LT1 rears. Reason I ask is I grinded my stock brakes to fit my GW rims and dont really want to grind on the drag brakes.
Thanks
Old 06-14-2009, 09:55 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its not just the overall diameter that is important, caliper overhang is also important. Without going into it more, I believe some guys who had drag brakes actually still had to grind the caliper to clear the drop center of those wheels.

I can setup the brakes and new braided lines if you need more help. My personal opinion, switching to very nice drag brakes such as Strange brakes and using economy wheels aren't a match made in heaven.
Old 06-15-2009, 12:21 PM
11 Second Club

I really like the look of these wheels and the side clearence is pretty good. Im more or less worried about the over all diameter. When I get the brakes Ill check it out and if I cant get it to work out, a rim change will take place.
I dont want to mess up the drag brakes, but at the same time I still love the look of these wheels. Anyone make something close that fits?
Old 06-15-2009, 12:33 PM
FormerVendor

You may need to clear the brakes. You're probably not going to find too many folks with that combo as the wheels are now discontinued. From folks that I've heard setting them up...they were upset they had to clearance the drag brakes as well.

Let me know if you need me to setup the brakes and braided lines for you.
Old 06-15-2009, 04:01 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks,
Ill let you know when Im ready to order! The stock brakes will be fine untill I can come up with some more money to spend. Once I get the brakes Ill decide what to do with the rims.
Does anyone know what the diameter of the Drag brakes are???
Old 06-15-2009, 04:20 PM
FormerVendor

It’s not just one diameter number you need. For Strange, the face profile numbers you need to pay attention to is from the largest number ~13 3/16@~1.1", down to ~12 5/8" @~3/4" sloping to a final ~12"@~.25".

I don't know if these numbers mean anything to you or not, what matters is I'm telling you others who have used them needed to modify the calipers...this is the most relevant information you need to know.

I also noticed you were considering a different brand brake package. My opinion is for the small dollar difference, Strange is a much better configuration with higher quality machined components, better rotor configuration and calipers. Mark Williams would be my first pick but they are out of range of most "typical" racers budgets.

If you're getting the brakes anyways, it really doesn't matter what numbers you have.

Good luck!
Old 06-15-2009, 10:57 PM
11 Second Club

No Im going with Strange brakes, and those numbers do help, So 13 3/16 is the largest point and the other 2 are the measurement of how the caliper slopes on either side and the measure it takes for the slope to happen? I want to measure my existing brakes to see where Im at.
Old 06-15-2009, 11:08 PM
FormerVendor

Glad they helped. Those numbers are close to interference fit. You still need ~.100" clearance. If I'm not mistaken the edge of the outer portion is what you'll need to modify. Very odd how the drop is designed on that wheel. Its about the only wheel setup that I've heard of issues with most drag brake setups....not really a concern much more as they are not producing the wheels.

You'll love the drag brakes when you choose them...they will drop rotating mass by ~60lbs from your LT1 brakes. It's a rather simple change-over. As indicated, we fabricate the braided lines you'll need as well. Strange has a few style brakes you can choose from...we list them on our website and each benefit....listed here: http://www.sjmmanufacturing.com/cam_...1.html#Strange Drag Rotors

The rear-brakes are very nice as well...depending on your rear-end, you may need our axle bearing spacer kit made in house too.

re-reading, I didn't realize you only asked about the rears, for some reason, I was thinking fronts...you may not need to do anything for the rears...I believe the fronts were the problem. The rears will drop about 25lbs from your car.
Old 06-16-2009, 01:22 PM
11 Second Club

Sweet, yeah Im only looking at rears for the moment, but will deffinitly go all around.
So are those measures for the front? The rears should fit? If they are any smaller than a stock LT1 rear brake they should fit. I have a S60 3channel rear
I totally agree about the weird drop. I have no idea why they would make the inner diameter so small when the clearly had more space to work with and I cant see any benifit as to why they would have done that. Oh well they fit now.

Last edited by AChotrod; 06-16-2009 at 06:30 PM.

Quick Reply: How much smaller are ear drag brakes compared to LT1