Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Brutal Rear Vibration

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 09:23 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Brutal Rear Vibration

I've done some brake work before. I ordered new Slotted\Cross Drilled Rotors for my 2001 SS Camaro. The brake pads up front were installed 1 month ago. Installed the new rotors and rear brake pads. I had adjusted the parking brake to tighten it up and reassembled everything. As I backed out and applied the brake at low speeds to a stop 5mph to 0mph I get a brutal shuttering that vibrates through almost the entire car from what seems to be the passenger rear. I disassembled everything and set the parking brake back to what I believe it was. Still getting the vibration ... applying the brake at a higher speed, 20, 30, 40mph ... there is no vibration ... just when coming to a stop and applying hte brake. Ideas?
Old 06-23-2009, 05:41 PM
12 Second Club

could be bad rotors. I've seen new rotors with runout before.
Old 06-23-2009, 06:04 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by JonasSS
I've done some brake work before. I ordered new Slotted\Cross Drilled Rotors for my 2001 SS Camaro. The brake pads up front were installed 1 month ago. Installed the new rotors and rear brake pads. I had adjusted the parking brake to tighten it up and reassembled everything. As I backed out and applied the brake at low speeds to a stop 5mph to 0mph I get a brutal shuttering that vibrates through almost the entire car from what seems to be the passenger rear. I disassembled everything and set the parking brake back to what I believe it was. Still getting the vibration ... applying the brake at a higher speed, 20, 30, 40mph ... there is no vibration ... just when coming to a stop and applying hte brake. Ideas?
So this is something you're feeling when applying the parking brake? Did you clean off the surface of the rotor (inner rotor hat) and parking brake pad before re-installing?
Old 06-24-2009, 01:21 PM
Teching In

Thumbs up

Well, I removed my rims, calipers, rotors .. sanded every last bit of rust on the hub, .... reset the rotor. Used majority of a can of brake cleaner. Removed and reset the anti rattle clips, reset the brakes after scraping them down a touch. (Again new Ceramic pads). Re-affix my passenger rear rim/tire. As a last touch, hosed off the r/r tire once everything was tightened. For now .. the noise is no longer there and I put 30 - 40 miles on to start the break in process on the new pads/ rotors. So the problem for now is gone. If it comes back and I run out of ideas I'll post. Thanks for the replies.

Quick Reply: Brutal Rear Vibration