Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Strano Spring Koni Shocks Problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 08:14 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strano Spring Koni Shocks Problem

Before i did the install today i was driving around i had no sounds after i did the install the car is making noticeable noises coming from the wheel wells. There pretty loud and embarrassing. I just got home from a ride and i realized when im in a higher gear i hear a constant ticking when i slow down to about first gear it sounds more like a flapping sound. Its also making a funny sound from the front if you listen very close something like mini bullets going off. Obviously i went wrong somewhere on the install. I only did the front today by the way. I was thinking maybe i didn't tighten the bushings enough but that would make a creaking sound (replaced sway bar bushing today). So what can it be. Did i have to change the adjustments on the front shocks cause i just put them on as they were straight out of the box. I even thought maybe tires aren't tight enough i would appreciate any type of advice its to late to work on the car now so im gonna get to it in the morning.
Old 06-27-2009, 09:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 799 Likes on 609 Posts

Maybe you didn't get the top nut tightened down enough.
Old 06-27-2009, 09:23 PM
TECH Resident

I don't know what your problem is but let this be a reminder to people. Sam graciously offers to walk you through installation when you get your parts BEFORE attempting the install. Take him up on his offer and CALL ahead of time to prevent problems down the road. Good luck with this. Did you have the spring compressed when torquing the top nut? If the spring is exerting pressure against it it won't tighten properly. Did you use the proper washer on the shock?
Old 06-27-2009, 09:29 PM
TECH Resident

I just bought a 99 camaro with strano springs/ kyb agx shocks, it also makes a bad clunking noise coming from the front end more pronounced on the right side, it also bounces and floats alot .. same problem here basically....
I'm going to take a better look at it next week and try to figure it out, I'll keep you posted on what i find, chances are you have a similar problem. I looked under the car and i did notice it seemed as though there was no shock ram absorbing anything at all, because the shoulder of the shock was sitting right on the strut mount's bump stop....
Old 06-27-2009, 09:36 PM
TECH Regular

maybe try posting a bunch of pictures up for us. I first thought maybe your sway was never reattached, but u dont think you messed up your swaybar install.. Did the upper control arm sit correctly in its slot, bottom shock bolts tight ? Id go through and double check all your bolts
I have koni's & strano with no issues or crazy sounds....
Old 06-27-2009, 09:50 PM
On The Tree

Bottom of the shocks are tight and the upper control arm is flush. I tightened the nut on the top of the shock to have a tight fit i didn't force any extra turns on to it and i didn't compress the spring when i did it because it looked to be a perfect fit already so im guessing thats were my problem could be. Oh and i used the washer to. I don't have a torque wrench so when i put something together i go until it is tight i never overtightened anything cause Ive stripped a few bolts in the past big *** ******* headache. Probuilt7 let me no if you get it sorted out cause your rite we probably have the same problem and ill let you no about my situation.
Old 06-27-2009, 09:54 PM
On The Tree

Besides the embarrassing sounds coming from the car I must say the car looks beautiful dropped I cant wait to do the backs just wanna get the fronts fixed up first. I'm gonna check all the nuts and bolts again if anybody else has anything else to add id like to hear it.
Old 06-27-2009, 10:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Animal323
... i didn't compress the spring when i did it because it looked to be a perfect fit already so im guessing thats were my problem could be.
I agree at this point. Even though lowering springs appear "to fit" without using a spring compressor, I've seen installs like this cause these exact problems almost every single time.

If I may ask, was the lower spring isolator reused? I'm guessing you did but just want to cover that base as well.
Old 06-27-2009, 10:57 PM
On The Tree

I reused everything that was on the original shock. I put the shock the spring looked flush put the washer and tightened it and put it back on the car. You think i should compress the spring and try to tighten it more?
Old 06-27-2009, 11:01 PM
TECH Resident

I reused everything that was on the original shock. I put the shock the spring looked flush put the washer and tightened it and put it back on the car. You think i should compress the spring and try to tighten it more?
Yes you need to compress it and torque it to 33ft/lb. Make sure the shaft doesn't spin.
Old 06-27-2009, 11:02 PM
On The Tree

Dont have a torque wrench so how would i no when to stop? Certain amount of turns or just till its tight?
Old 06-27-2009, 11:09 PM
TECH Resident

Dont have a torque wrench so how would i no when to stop? Certain amount of turns or just till its tight?
Snug it with the spring compressed. You should be OK. You don't have to crank it down.
Old 06-27-2009, 11:27 PM
On The Tree

Ok thanks man that should get rid of the problem rite? Do i have to worry about anything in the back. Any of the same problems?
Old 06-27-2009, 11:32 PM
TECH Resident

Ok thanks man that should get rid of the problem rite? Do i have to worry about anything in the back. Any of the same problems?
Hopefully this takes care of it and this area seems to be the most common. The rears are a lot easier as the spring and shock are completely separate. No need to worry about compressing the springs back there. Support the car and let the axle drop and have your way with them.
Old 06-27-2009, 11:38 PM
On The Tree

I new about them being separate but i mean with the spring fitment. They should just slide rite in rite?
Old 06-27-2009, 11:40 PM
TECH Resident

I new about them being separate but i mean with the spring fitment. They should just slide rite in rite?
They should come out and go in easy. Make sure you have an isolator on the top and the pigtails facing the correct direction and seated on the axle. Sometimes the stock isolator will stick to the car.
Old 06-27-2009, 11:42 PM
On The Tree

Ok thanks bro i appreciate your help its very helpful.
Old 06-27-2009, 11:59 PM
TECH Resident

Ok thanks bro i appreciate your help its very helpful.
Sure thing, let us know how it comes out.
Old 06-28-2009, 12:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

If the nut is tight with the spring compressed and it still does it, It could be a bad upper strut mount. Is the rubber where the strut comes through worn down to the metal?
Old 06-28-2009, 11:30 AM
On The Tree

No it looks like its in good shape.