Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Has anyone with F-body done the ZO6 brake swap?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 04:14 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone with F-body done the ZO6 brake swap?

Hey guys,

Just wondering if anyone with a F-body has done the ZO6 brakes? I've read some things on it and I'm thinking of going that route.

Planning a LSX 454 build on a '98-02 camaro and will need to upgrade. I know that GMMG put them on the DH cars. I'm going to be running on 18" wheels to btw, the ZO6's require at least an 18" wheels to clear the calipers.

Reviews? Thoughts? Comments?

Thanks
Old 07-06-2009, 06:35 PM
TECH Regular

do a search first there are plenty of threads out there explaining all this.
Old 07-06-2009, 07:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You read how there are all kinds of problems with the padlets? How they are worse for braking performance than regular C6/C5/LS1 brakes?
Old 07-06-2009, 08:15 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 00 Trans Ram
You read how there are all kinds of problems with the padlets? How they are worse for braking performance than regular C6/C5/LS1 brakes?
Really? Wow, no I didn't read that. Where did you see that? On this forum or on the web? Thanks for the heads up. I'm just wanting a good big brake kit, preferably with 14" rotors, 6 piston calipers, stainless steel brake lines, etc.
Old 07-06-2009, 09:46 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by TXSSIVE
Really? Wow, no I didn't read that. Where did you see that? On this forum or on the web? Thanks for the heads up. I'm just wanting a good big brake kit, preferably with 14" rotors, 6 piston calipers, stainless steel brake lines, etc.
for that get UMI C5 conversion brackets, earl SS brake lines, and C6Z06 calipers, rotors and pads. that should run you about $1000+/-

and you will need at least an 18" wheel to fit that

as for the rears your SOL
Old 07-06-2009, 11:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

http://www.superchargersonline.com/content.asp?ID=98

also, talk to several brake companies, especially StopTech, Wilwood, etc.

"Just wanting a good big brake kit" can be useful or just a waste of money.

AFA 14" rotors and 6 piston calipers are concerned with adding 18" rims, are you aware that you could be worse than a 4 piston caliper fitted to a 13" brake disk all inside 17x9" rims?

As outrageous as that may seem, fancy marketing doesn't always convey the relevant physical aspects of a well designed brake system.
Old 07-06-2009, 11:28 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Taken4granted
for that get UMI C5 conversion brackets, earl SS brake lines, and C6Z06 calipers, rotors and pads. that should run you about $1000+/-

and you will need at least an 18" wheel to fit that

as for the rears your SOL
Cool, is that what you have? Sounds good anyway though. And yeah I was planning on either using the stock rear brakes or Wilwood makes a big brake kit as well. Kind of pricey though, around $1800 for the fronts and around $650 for the rears. It looks nice too. Could I do the front set-up you mentioned and the Wilwood rear kit? Can you mix them like that or what? Not sure if that's a dumb question or not.
Old 07-06-2009, 11:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Cool, is that what you have? Sounds good anyway though. And yeah I was planning on either using the stock rear brakes or Wilwood makes a big brake kit as well. Kind of pricey though, around $1800 for the fronts and around $650 for the rears. It looks nice too. Could I do the front set-up you mentioned and the Wilwood rear kit? Can you mix them like that or what? Not sure if that's a dumb question or not.
IMHO, the questions you ask are NOT DUMB. Whilst I do think it's better for one to exhaustively search, the whole purpose of threads like this is for one to become "technically oriented" with the mods, and not just to seek "loaded praises" and "anecdotal advice."

AFA "mixing brakes", be aware that for the brake system you're using, overall brake biasing is paramount. You don't want to shift too much to the front or too much to the rear, however I now have a seriously pertinent question in relation to braking to ask, which is...

What do you have for your suspension?
Old 07-07-2009, 01:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

ive heard people say you have to have 18" wheels to fit the ZO6 calipers but didnt the C5 ZO6's come with 17" wheels in front?
Old 07-07-2009, 02:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I think you're talking about C6Z06 front brake. The only problem I heard is the uneven pad wear caused by the individual pad. If you go for carbotech one piece brake pad, you should be fine.

18 wheel what correct offset is a must, not any 18" wheel will fit. Correct offset is very important here.
Old 07-07-2009, 04:53 AM
TECH Resident

heres a link to CTS-V / ZO6 swap, utilizes brembo 4 piston calipers and 14" C6 ZO6 rotors. does require 18's. link
Old 07-07-2009, 10:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If you want something that looks good (which, for a street car, is a valid consideration), then only the sky and your budget is the limit.

However, if you just want "stopping power" then it's a different ballgame. Here's what I have:

- Baer GT+ front calipers - these are nothing more than C5 calipers, with a Baer logo, and a few more ribs (got them for a steal)
- Baer Eradispeed 2-piece rotors (12.79" size)
- Carbotech XP12 pads (front), AX6 pads (rear)
- rear brakes are 100% stock
- Wilwood 570* fluid
- Stainless lines

It's all I need for 30+ minutes of racing.

Here's the thing with "big" brakes. Do they stop better than "small" ones? Sure. But, your tire is only so big. Once you have brakes that can cause the wheel to lock up, then all the rest of your stopping power is useless.

Bigger brakes take a little longer to heat up, meaning that they don't fade as quickly. But, if you get correct heat-range pads and good fluid, you won't get fade at all.

Rememebr, Nascar guys run brakes that fit under 15" wheels, and they have no problems. You just have to build the system properly.

I can't imagine you needing more than a C5 setup.
Old 07-07-2009, 11:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One thing to think about is that when Gmmg was producing those special edition cars the C6 Z06 didnt exist, well neither did the C6 corvette. So they used the Z06 off the available corvette which was the C5. And with those brakes you can get away with a 17inch wheel. And to top it off just about every suspension vendor on this site has a conversion kit you can buy. UMI, BMR, Strano. Just pick one, you cant go wrong.
Old 07-07-2009, 02:32 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Foxxtron
IMHO, the questions you ask are NOT DUMB. Whilst I do think it's better for one to exhaustively search, the whole purpose of threads like this is for one to become "technically oriented" with the mods, and not just to seek "loaded praises" and "anecdotal advice."

AFA "mixing brakes", be aware that for the brake system you're using, overall brake biasing is paramount. You don't want to shift too much to the front or too much to the rear, however I now have a seriously pertinent question in relation to braking to ask, which is...

What do you have for your suspension?
Well thanks for not thinking I'm asking "dumb" questions. I am trying to educate myself on different mods & technical stuff for these cars. And it's been great thus far. I just can't wait to actually start doing it! (damn unemployment.)

As far as suspension, I will be using Koni SA 4/3 shocks, Eibach Pro-Kit, UMI shock tower brace, panhard rod, LCAs & brackets, Kenny Brown SFCs, Strano Anti-sway bars. I'm looking for really good handling, so what do you think of what I have listed? Should get the job done, yes?
Old 07-07-2009, 02:37 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Black02SLPSS
One thing to think about is that when Gmmg was producing those special edition cars the C6 Z06 didnt exist, well neither did the C6 corvette. So they used the Z06 off the available corvette which was the C5. And with those brakes you can get away with a 17inch wheel. And to top it off just about every suspension vendor on this site has a conversion kit you can buy. UMI, BMR, Strano. Just pick one, you cant go wrong.
That's true, I didn't really think about that but you're right. I'm actually looking at the Wilwood kit or the ZO6 brakes. C5 or C6, which one is known to be the better one?
Old 07-07-2009, 04:03 PM
TECH Addict

As far as suspension, I will be using Koni SA 4/3 shocks, Eibach Pro-Kit, UMI shock tower brace, panhard rod, LCAs & brackets, Kenny Brown SFCs, Strano Anti-sway bars. I'm looking for really good handling, so what do you think of what I have listed? Should get the job done, yes?
id go with vogtland/strano springs myself, but thats more or less the same setup i have. are you going to do any real road racing, autox, track days, or just want to throw money into it?

either way, stock LS1 braks with proper pads and rotors will be good enough. if you want to upgrade anyway, then C5 is all you need, dont bother going exotic.
Old 07-07-2009, 04:26 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by EchoMirage
id go with vogtland/strano springs myself, but thats more or less the same setup i have. are you going to do any real road racing, autox, track days, or just want to throw money into it?

either way, stock LS1 braks with proper pads and rotors will be good enough. if you want to upgrade anyway, then C5 is all you need, dont bother going exotic.
I'm really not planning to race but I do want the car to handle really well. I'm not trying to throw money into it for money's sake, for one I don't really have it to do that anyway. Ha ha. At least not yet, hopefully when I get back in school & land a decent career.

Yeah I'm liking the C5 idea I think. I'm going to have a good amount of HP so I want to be prepared and safe by making sure I have the brakes for it, you know?
Old 07-07-2009, 05:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

I agree with the posts from "00 Trans Ram" and "EchoMirage." I will also repeat AFA finances are concerned, the money needs to be invested in the right parts in order to make these cars work very well. It also helps to install "one at a time" in order to really get a "good feel" for how to parts work. My point is that there are certain mods that are cheap and other mods that are expensive which do "work."

Since Koni 4/3 has been listed, this should be your "first" suspension mod. This mod combined with other "good mods" can help considerably for both handling and braking much more so than oversized expensive brakes.

Since you listed Koni's and Strano anti-sway bars, you should definitely take the time to consult Sam Strano.

Last edited by Foxxtron; 07-07-2009 at 06:04 PM.
Old 07-07-2009, 11:35 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Foxxtron
I agree with the posts from "00 Trans Ram" and "EchoMirage." I will also repeat AFA finances are concerned, the money needs to be invested in the right parts in order to make these cars work very well. It also helps to install "one at a time" in order to really get a "good feel" for how to parts work. My point is that there are certain mods that are cheap and other mods that are expensive which do "work."

Since Koni 4/3 has been listed, this should be your "first" suspension mod. This mod combined with other "good mods" can help considerably for both handling and braking much more so than oversized expensive brakes.

Since you listed Koni's and Strano anti-sway bars, you should definitely take the time to consult Sam Strano.
I will be contacting him, I know he is the man on the subject and has great products. Yeah, the suspension work will be one of the first things I do after I get the car. That and the GMMG exhaust.
Old 07-08-2009, 10:33 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 00 Trans Ram
If you want something that looks good (which, for a street car, is a valid consideration), then only the sky and your budget is the limit.

However, if you just want "stopping power" then it's a different ballgame. Here's what I have:

- Baer GT+ front calipers - these are nothing more than C5 calipers, with a Baer logo, and a few more ribs (got them for a steal)
- Baer Eradispeed 2-piece rotors (12.79" size)
- Carbotech XP12 pads (front), AX6 pads (rear)
- rear brakes are 100% stock
- Wilwood 570* fluid
- Stainless lines

It's all I need for 30+ minutes of racing.

Here's the thing with "big" brakes. Do they stop better than "small" ones? Sure. But, your tire is only so big. Once you have brakes that can cause the wheel to lock up, then all the rest of your stopping power is useless.

Bigger brakes take a little longer to heat up, meaning that they don't fade as quickly. But, if you get correct heat-range pads and good fluid, you won't get fade at all.

Rememebr, Nascar guys run brakes that fit under 15" wheels, and they have no problems. You just have to build the system properly.

I can't imagine you needing more than a C5 setup.
Looking to AutoX/Road racing but would like the ride to be Streetable (kinda hard I know - I like cruising as well) BUT here are a list of my current mods I am looking at a Caliper AND Shock upgrades from stock

02 SS:
Bilstein shocks
BMR adjustable Chrome moly- LCA and brackets, Panhard
BMR STB
BMR Weld-in Subframe Connectors
Baer Eradispeed 3 (2-piece) front rotors
Eradispeed (Single piece) rear rotors
Eibach Sportlines
18" wheels (4)

Originally Posted by EchoMirage

Can I have that girl on your car?!

Quick Reply: Has anyone with F-body done the ZO6 brake swap?