Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Sharing Pics of My Car at the SCCA National Tour

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 12:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sharing Pics of My Car at the SCCA National Tour

Just thought I'd share some pictures of my car from the SCCA Peru National Tour from this last weekend:

I'm telling yea, if you peruse this forum you've gotta go out and autocross. It's the most fun you'll have with your cloths on
Old 07-09-2009, 12:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Nice shots! Have yet to try AutoX, but I carve mountain and canyon roads regularly, so I get my fix that way, with some gorgeous scenery!
Old 07-09-2009, 01:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Looking good, can tll you are really hauling in some of those pics!
Old 07-09-2009, 01:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

nice. videos would do more justice though
Old 07-09-2009, 01:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It was a really fast course. Most of the time we were over 50 mph with some supper heavy brake zones. Note the pics that show little to no gap between fender and tire are when that side of the car is under load. It doesn't statically sit that low.
Old 07-09-2009, 01:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cool pics....I've been getting my feet wet autoxing for 4 months now

No amount of street driving compares to autox....of course RR on a real track with others is where it's really at, I dont have the experience or the budget for that yet.
Old 07-09-2009, 02:18 PM
TECH Resident

i think next yr i will be getting my feet wet. i just spent 1400 on suspension and next yr it should be complete. im a real new to auto x'n and have no idea how to setup suspension in relation to the course. i also don't know jack about camber. what tires are those OP? my buddy is into it an he has a tincan of a camaro let me tell you lol. any advice?
Old 07-09-2009, 02:19 PM
TECH Resident

btw what you guys runnin for suspension? shock and spring?
Old 07-09-2009, 02:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What tires you running? also, what is your brake setup? Did you upgrade your radiator for lower coolant temps?

Last time I was out I had some cooling problems.. Looking at that 3 core from Strano as a possible fix.

I'm not hardcore into it but the car is setup well. Just need a few more things here and there.
Old 07-09-2009, 02:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Tires are 315/35R17 Hoosier A6's which are a dedicated autocross tire.
I run Koni shocks and unique springs of my choosing. I won't share the rate, but I will share that I use the Ground Control set-up so that I pretty much have an unlimited selection of spring rates to choose from. The ground control kit uses a standard stock car spring and allows me to set the ride height and corner weights of the car.

The best advice I can give you is to only change the alignment of your car to max camber and caster (if it's a stock car it will be around -1.0 camber and +4.0 caster) and run about a 1/16 of toe out. Then DON'T CHANGE ANYTHING for a year (unless it's something totally obvious like shocks set too stiff). Learn the car and learn to drive. autocross is 75% driver and 25% car. Which is why Sam can share his set up cause he's 110% the driver of most people out there.
Old 07-09-2009, 02:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SOMSS1LE
What tires you running? also, what is your brake setup? Did you upgrade your radiator for lower coolant temps?

Last time I was out I had some cooling problems.. Looking at that 3 core from Strano as a possible fix.

I'm not hardcore into it but the car is setup well. Just need a few more things here and there.

Brakes are stock calipers with Bembo blanks and Hawk pads.

I thought I had a cooling issue when I first started running the car. I learned I had a gauge accuracy problem, not a cooling problem according to autoTAP. I just run the GM dexcool with stock radiator and fan. Nothing fancy.
Old 07-09-2009, 04:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i always wanted to try auto cross... that looks crazy. videos though man i wanna hear that thing going around corners
Old 07-09-2009, 04:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

There are a couple of videos on my website from last year. See my signature
Old 07-09-2009, 04:55 PM
TECH Veteran

Pffft. Bet I could do better in my stock 80 F-150.

Old 07-09-2009, 04:56 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ThoR294
nice. videos would do more justice though
No video, in car or external, does the sport justice.

You've got to actually be in the car to see how quickly stuff happens and to feel how much the car moves around.

And FWIW, I was there too.

Here's another picture of our thread starter (to the right of the yellow Mustang) with the nose of my car in the foreground.
Old 07-09-2009, 04:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've got the DA Koni's but never really played around with the adjustments as I have no idea what the hell I am doing.. maybe one day I will take the time to learn. I'm running the NT-01s those Hoosiers are nice tires, I was on the fence between the two because I still wanted some tread pattern for rare street driving. To be honest I am not even sure what springs I am running, I can't for the life of me remember it was sooo long ago.. I know they are pretty good though for my setup.

Thanks for the other info, some good advice. I notice you are in Chicago, where do you usually go? I would love to get in on some club and start doing this more frequently.. The road America thing is like twice every year..
Old 07-09-2009, 05:10 PM
On The Tree

Nice pics, looks like a lot of fun.
Old 07-09-2009, 05:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

yeah, thats my new wall paper.

thanks
Old 07-09-2009, 06:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ironhead
No video, in car or external, does the sport justice.

You've got to actually be in the car to see how quickly stuff happens and to feel how much the car moves around.

And FWIW, I was there too.
Korry, it's about time you chimed in on this board. Great pic BTW.

He's right no video really does this sport justice. I've heard that good autocrossers process more information in less time than an F1 driver cause stuff is just happening that fast and we don't get any straights to relax on

SOMSS1LE I race with both the Chicago and Milwaukee Region SCCA as well as with WAI and TSSCC. TSSCC will be holding some events right in your back yard this year. They will be over at the Sears Center in Hoffman Estates. This page on my website lists all the big local events in Chicago/Milwaukee area. There are more clubs in the area but they tend to be a little too laid back for me I will attend all Chicago Region and Milwaukee Region events. I try to make the TSSCC events that are either at Rt-66 and I might check out the sears center events but not the one on the 25th cause there is a Chicago Region event on the 26th. I am trying to drive a BMW at all the WAI events but that's not panning out so good. Look at the schedule and pick an event to attend and then message me and I'll let you know if I'll be there. If I am please feel free to come up to me and say hi and ask for help. I'll tell yea everything I know from course walk to daily prep to how to drive and look ahead. Actually that invitation goes out to all LS1-tech folks who want to get into this sport. It can be the most fun and most frustrating thing you ever do. Sometimes it's both at the same time.

Engine_HP That's awesome that you've got my car as your wall paper. Never in a million years would I think that someone would use my car as wall paper, much less someone from the middle east. Very cool!

Sharpe: Bite me you south of I-80 no teeth having hill-billy.

Last edited by Major_Lee_Slow; 07-09-2009 at 06:58 PM.
Old 07-09-2009, 06:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Nice, thanks for the info.. How do I get into some of these clubs, should I just checkout your site for the info? Sears center is about 10 minutes from me.

Quick Reply: Sharing Pics of My Car at the SCCA National Tour