Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Car steering feels loose on bumps only

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 10:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Car steering feels loose on bumps only

I have got 2 new racks and new outer tie rod ends installs in the last 30 days. Today the 2nd one was installed and seems to have solved my steering wheel shimmy problem.

Before all of this was done 2 months ago I had an alignment done somewhere else and after it was done when I go over small bumps, cracks in the pavement at slower speeds it feels like my steering wheel actually moves and feels loose. Could it be the settings on my alignment that are doing this. Other than that it drives fine now. I have checked the lower control arm bushings and had a shop look at them as well. Only thing is they have been adjusted out further on the back fronts that I even see different from before. The bolts to the control arms are tight as well.

Could it be my steering shaft coupler causing slight moving in the wheel or something with the alignment. Several alignments have been done and I still have this problem. 0 camber 4.4 and 4.7 caster and 0 toe to slight in. Everything is stock on my car 79,000 miles 1999 Z28 highway miles.

Quick Reply: Car steering feels loose on bumps only