Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Newbie needs brake upgrade advice !

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 12:48 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie needs brake upgrade advice !

Hello everyone,
I am enjoying the heck out of my recently purchased low mile 2000 ws6 trans am but there are a few things I will want to upgrade in the future including the brakes.I find when i am driving "exuberantly" the braking is a little lacking.This is a stock ,street only car and i have no interest whatsoever in "bling" or any cool fancy stuff.I just want to know if there is a relatively simple way to make a significant difference in the braking power of my car.
I can do the work myself but for sure will be keeping my stock 17in rims and dont want to run any wheel spacers or anything like that.
For whatever reason i like the idea of using OEM type parts if possible,thanks !!
Old 07-18-2009, 07:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

There is absolutely no performance reason to upgrade to big brakes on a street car. What you do need is a decent set of pads and rotors. Then when doing the install make sure the calipers are in good shape and are not spread. I would also replace the caliper guide pins and brake pad shims while your in there. It's cheep insurance.

For pads and rotors I recommend Hawk HPS and Brembo Blank Rotors.
Old 07-18-2009, 08:19 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Also, while Major Lee is spot on 100%, something else that will help is flushing your brake fluid. You have no idea how much moisture the brakes system can accumulate.
Old 07-18-2009, 11:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Doh! Can't believe I forgot to mention the brake fluid.
Old 07-18-2009, 04:48 PM
TECH Resident

I agree with these guys. 2 different pads can produce very different results. I had QuiteStop pads and they would immediately fade at high speeds. Switched to ceramics and they were very fade restant but have less initial bite. I then had Hawk HPS and they are great except they got a little squirrly on me on a high speed track. I just changed them to HP+. I'll see how those do but am thinking I will end up back with ceramics.

I just have these, high-temp fluid, and Powerslot rotors. I can do a 25 minute session on the road coarse with zero brake problems and still get into the ABS so I feel I have plenty of braking power. I don't know that the Powerslots do much but they can take a hell of a lot of abuse.
Old 07-18-2009, 06:27 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the info guys.Changing pads and rotors is easy enough to do but i wonder how the brembo rotors would improve braking over my stock rotors?
Old 07-18-2009, 06:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The brembo rotor's won't make any noticable difference on the street.

Check your stock rotor's thickness. If it's in spec then I'd keep the stock rotor. If it's close, then I'd consider replacing it.
Old 07-18-2009, 06:46 PM
TECH Addict

FYI, i got a set of C5 brembo blanks that were warped out of the box.
Old 07-20-2009, 09:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

New pads, flush your fluid, keep stock rotors if they're in good shape (not grooved or bad looking).

All you will need. It'll cost roughly $200, and give you all you want. Hawk HPS or Carbotech Bobcats are great street pads. Hawk HP+ and Carbotech AX6 are good for REALLY aggressive street or autox usage.
Old 07-20-2009, 10:52 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Also, just a tid-bit. Crossdrilled/slotted rotors offer NO performance increase. I put a set on my 88 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe, car weighs about 200 more pounds than an F-body. I didn't change the pads, calipers, or anything else, just stuck em on for looks primarily. They gave me no performance, no decrease in fade, nothing.

Just a heads up since many people "upgrade" to them.

Quick Reply: Newbie needs brake upgrade advice !