Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

What difference will C5 rotors with stock calipers make in Braking ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 03:25 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb What difference will C5 rotors with stock calipers make in Braking ?

I was looking at 6Litereater package that has the brackets and rotors from a C5 and allows you to keep your stock calipers.

Will this make a difference in braking ?

Right not I run Brembo drilled rotors in the front with HPS pads. Unkown fluid and stock brake lines.

Thanks
Old 07-22-2009, 09:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Will this make a difference in braking ?
Yes you will notice a difference, but it will be from a combination of things. Fresher fluid, fresh bleed and new rotors.

The f body calipers have been said to have bigger pistons therefore you might notice more brake bias towards the front.

I'm going to say you will probably like it and it will be an upgrade any way you look at it.

Here's the only thing....if you plan on RR, AX or anything harsh, the stock calipers arent suited for that....sure they might survive for a while, but it's only a matter of time. Before you either spread them or over heat them. AutoX is debatable, because the runs are so short, under a minute most of the time. If you are sticking to a certain class then you have to work with the stockers.

The C5&6 calipers are pressure cast and are better suited for beating on!

As far as clamping force, I think the f body ones have a little edge, but you have to wonder how much are they really flexing?

I've been autox'ing and with stock calipers, rotors and hawk HPS I was able to stop fine no issues.

But that was on street tires, I'm swapping to sticker tires and I just knew it was only a matter of time, the stockers werent going to like that....

I'm stuck in CP due to my cam and so for me I would rather just upgrade. **** we tend to upgrade every where else and alot of folks skimp on the brakes.....dont make sense to me. Thats what keeps you safe!

So opted to just upgrade and not have to worry about it later.

C6 calipers, 13" napa rotors, trackbrackets, Hawk HPS, steel braided lines = Happy, they look great too!

Last edited by 2000Z28M6; 07-22-2009 at 12:51 PM.
Old 07-22-2009, 02:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 2000Z28M6
I'm stuck in CP due to my cam
I thought a cam was SCCA SM legal?
Old 07-22-2009, 02:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm not sure, it dont matter as much...I'm just glad to gain seat time and dial the car in for now. Almost there....those damn stangs are going down!
Old 07-22-2009, 03:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

SM has a tire limit. No way an F-bod will be competitive.
Old 07-22-2009, 04:59 PM
TECH Addict

Im not planning on doing any AutoX or anything hard like that. Im just looking to see if I will get any improvement since I have extra cash right now and I need to buy rotors right now anyways.
Old 07-22-2009, 05:46 PM
Staging Lane

Well if you have "extra cash" send it to me I can spend it for you
Old 07-22-2009, 06:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Im not planning on doing any AutoX or anything hard like that. Im just looking to see if I will get any improvement since I have extra cash right now and I need to buy rotors right now anyways.
I hear ya...and again I dont get this mentality....it's like saying I'm going to swap to bigger cam but keep the stock springs, cuz I wont be rev'ing it past 6k on a regular basis.

Do you see where I'm going? Sure it's your call, but Brakes make you stop, after you go fast from all the other mods.....possibly save your life.

Why would you skimp in this area?

I know we all have budgets but just putting my thoughts out there....be safe!

Quick Reply: What difference will C5 rotors with stock calipers make in Braking ?