Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

What should I do for suspension

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 10:09 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What should I do for suspension

Hey guys I got my firebird back on the road and was now looking into doing some suspension work. What should I look into doing. The cars suspension is stock. I was looking into some subframe connectors or new swaybars. I was also looking into a strut bar. What would be a good place to start?
Old 10-15-2009, 11:25 PM
On The Tree

i started with sfcs...
Old 10-15-2009, 11:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What is it that you would like the car to do?Do you want it to handle better on corners or ? More information would be nice.
Old 10-16-2009, 07:14 AM
FormerVendor

Hello
A few other choices for you would be to look into a set of lower control arm and a set of relocation brackets to gain more traction. And to also replace the stamped/flexible factory pieces. Below is a link to show you what all UMI Performance has to offer!

http://www.umiperformance.com/catalo...7utk8fpubi1sp6

If you have any other questions feel free to ask and I will be more than glad to help!
Thanks
Brad
Old 10-16-2009, 08:24 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 96Formula6spd
Hey guys I got my firebird back on the road and was now looking into doing some suspension work. What should I look into doing. The cars suspension is stock. I was looking into some subframe connectors or new swaybars. I was also looking into a strut bar. What would be a good place to start?
As a few others have stated it all depends on what you have planned for your car. We offer every part that you will need to upgrade your cars suspension. If your into corner carving frame connectors, lower control arms, sway bars and shocks are a good starting point. If your into drag racing then you will need some different parts. You will need to upgrade your torque arm in either case. Give me a call here at the office and we can see what parts are best for your style of driving. I am in the office until 5:30pm est.

http://www.bmrfabrication.com/F4.htm
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 10-16-2009, 10:50 AM
TECH Junkie

SFC and sway bars were 2 of the most noticable things i did for my car.

good tires and then good brakes were next.
Old 10-16-2009, 11:29 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

SFC's are not suspension parts, they are chassis parts, same with a STB. Of your list, the sway bars will make the biggest different (provided they are well matched).

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 10-16-2009, 04:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If it was me (which it's not) I would get a good set of shocks first.Then the strano hollow sway bars next.So I guess you should get the hollow sway bars.I agree with sam,The sway bars will make a hell of a lot more of a difference than the subframe connectors.
Old 10-16-2009, 05:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts

Take it from someone who has done EVERY suspension part, except the Watts link. I did it backwards and did shocks last. That was a stupid move, if you do it, well...you get the point. The shocks made more difference with no downside, than the rest of the parts combined...and I went Bilsteins. I'll be going Konis soon. Shocks first, period. If you want straight line, I'd do LCAs and PHB next. If turning, sway bars next. Seriously, if you don't do shocks first, you're a dum dum -- unless you are one of the lucky few who got the SLP option with Konis.
Old 10-16-2009, 09:03 PM
TECH Resident

well looking into it I was an all around car since its my dd/toy. I think I am going to get some sub frame connectors. Shocks will be done next year along with new springs. The car spends most of the time at a strip but I want to take in on some back road mountain fun.
Old 10-17-2009, 11:29 AM
TECH Addict

Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts

well looking into it I was an all around car since its my dd/toy. I think I am going to get some sub frame connectors. Shocks will be done next year along with new springs. The car spends most of the time at a strip but I want to take in on some back road mountain fun.
Sub frames will do basically nothing for mountain road fun. That and the strut tower brace are the mods you will feel the LEAST. Shocks are your best mod, period for that, followed by sway bars. Trust me, you will kick yourself and call yourself a dumbass (which you WILL be) for not doing shocks sooner when you feel the difference. You need to listen to the advice you asked for. You will feel the car flex less on driveway entrances and expansion joints. Your shocks will work more and die sooner, because stock shocks suck hairy ***** and they are the weakest dynamic link in the f-body, period.

SFCs are a waste for your stated purpose, you need shocks. Nut up for some Konis, you will think you are in a different car. You simply are not capable of imagining how good shocks transform these cars until you feel it. I will be first in line to say "I told you so, dumbass" once you do get shocks. Take it from someone who has ALREADY BEEN DOWN THIS ROAD. I wish I had gotten shocks first. I love my Bilsteins but if I'd nutted up for Konis first, I'd have saved myself a lot of money and had a better car for it.
Old 10-17-2009, 10:31 PM
TECH Resident

I know what shocks can do. Had to change them in my bros focus. Went from slow as could be in the corners to a 3 wheeler.
Old 10-18-2009, 12:18 AM
TECH Junkie

see...i noticed a huge difference in the curves with the SFC

and it was much more stable in the uneven roads.

while i have not done shocks yet....springs are in the closet, shocks are getting ordered in a few days....i'm sure they'll be amazing.

but i KNOW i improved the handling of the car with the SFC
Old 10-19-2009, 11:56 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

The key here is simple. Those that have done good shocks notice less difference with SFC's than those that have stock shocks. And there is a simple reason why: The shocks are the first line of "defense" against loose, sloppy feel and impact harshness. If the dampers suck then anything that can help you like stiffening the structure a bit will. If the shocks are good, and do their job well, the SFC's aren't as noticeable.

Are SFC's bad? Hell no, I sell them, and I have no issue with them. But the only instance where I can say they should be done before suspension parts is if the car is beat to hell and maybe drag raced hard, a lot.

I sell all those parts, and a lot more. I know how the parts work, and work with each other. Really, what you are seeing here are the reasons I prefer to speak with people about their particular needs and wants instead of relying on internet wisdom, fwiw.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!