Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Koni's and Stock springs questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 09:34 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Koni's and Stock springs questions

I bought and received my Koni's and now trying to decide to either use the stock springs or get a set of BMR or Strano springs. Anyone that is running the koni's on the stock springs how is the ride? Is is rough? I have 18" wheels with 275 35 front and 295 35 tires in the rear. How different would the ride be going from stock springs to lowering springs is there a big difference? Thanks for any input.
Old 10-22-2009, 10:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Koni shocks with the stock springs will ride a little smoother than with the strano lowering springs.As far as lowering springs goes the Strano's are the best.You can run the koni's on the lower perch(only on sa's) and do the heater hose mod in the rear. A 3/4" drop in the front and a 1/2" drop in the rear.If that's not enough get the strano lowering springs for a 1.2" drop all the way around.My friend got the strano springs and I did the lower perch/heater hose mod to my car.I thought that his car rode a little stiff for my tastes.
The roads in Southern Calif. are the worst so that's why I decided to use the stock springs.It"s all a matter of taste.The stock springs are actually pretty
good.
Old 10-22-2009, 10:35 PM
On The Tree

Thanks that's what I wanted to know. What setting are you using on the front shocks? I was thinking I will start at 4 sweep from full hard for the fronts and one turn from full soft in the rear.
Old 10-23-2009, 10:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I started mine at 4 sweeps from full hard on the front and full soft on the rears.I have koni sa 4/3's so you have to adjust the rears off the car.I played around with the fronts.I adjusted them a half a sweep at a time till they were to soft.Then I adjusted them a half a sweep at a time till they were to hard and kinda found the sweet spot. That's were I ended up on the fronts.I left the rears on full soft.
Old 10-24-2009, 09:51 AM
On The Tree

Thanks again for the info. I will be doing the install today. I will take some pics.
Old 10-24-2009, 07:18 PM
On The Tree

I was only able to install one of the front shocks today. I measured from the finder to the ground and I get the same measurements as the other side. Does it take a while to come down? I also used the lower perch.
Old 10-24-2009, 08:32 PM
Dom
TECH Fanatic

Do springs wear out? I have 120k on my car and wondering if the stock springs are okay. I would probably try Strano springs first and if I don't like them sell them and put stockers back in. It's really not much work.
Old 10-24-2009, 08:53 PM
On The Tree

I have 62,000 miles. the front was a PITA. That top nut was so rusted out I had to cut it off. If the hight will be the same I think I might hold off and get some lowering springs.
Old 10-24-2009, 10:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Trust me,It will lower it app 3/4".It's not a huge difference when you use the lower perch.It looks like it should look from the factory.These cars are kinda high
stock.It makes them look better.Some people like the look with lowering springs.
It does look lowered with the stranos.
Old 10-25-2009, 10:08 AM
On The Tree

Any one that has a Camaro done the Koni with stock spring and heater hose mod. Can you please post pics? I did my fronts and they still look high I'm getting ready to do the rear and if I do the heater hose mod I think it will look like my front is higher then the rear. The gap from the finder and the tire.
Old 10-25-2009, 10:12 AM
On The Tree

Here or some pictures I took before I started, My fronts are still about the same. So I'm afaid if I do the heater hose mod in the rear it going to look bad.
Attached Thumbnails Koni's and Stock springs questions-dsc07898.jpg   Koni's and Stock springs questions-dsc07899.jpg   Koni's and Stock springs questions-dsc07900.jpg   Koni's and Stock springs questions-dsc07901.jpg  
Old 10-25-2009, 04:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would say try it(lower perch/heater hose mod) and drive it around for a little while and see if you like it. You probably have to drive it a little so it can settle.My car (t/a ws6) sits about 1 inch higher than my buddies car.He also has a t/a with the same mod.I like the stance of his car better than mine.My car looks good but,If I didn't tell you it was lowered you wouldn't know it.Some of are cars sit really high from the factory.From your pictures I can tell that your car is way up in the air.That's how my car looked stock.
Old 10-25-2009, 05:09 PM
On The Tree

Well I completed the fronts. Driver side was alot eazier. I will wait to do the rears. I want to see if the fronts go down any. What makes it look even higher are my low profile tires..If it does not go down more I will get the strano's or BMR springs. I hate the 4x4 look LOL!!

Quick Reply: Koni's and Stock springs questions