Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

brake noise... im stumped

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 06:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default brake noise... im stumped

my car makes a tisk tisk tisk noise like a pad touching a warped rotor, and it used to only do it after i accelerated quickly, reguardless of wether or not i got on the brakes hard. but for the past week it has done it all the time even when i am on the brakes. i don't even know where to look? anyone had the same problem?
Old 10-26-2009, 06:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The pads never 100% retract from the rotor. The tick tick tick noise you are hearing is the pads contacting the rotors. While it's not really a desirable trait for a street car it's normal for an autocross or a road race car. The only way to eliminate the noise is to change out brake pads.
Old 10-26-2009, 07:06 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Major_Lee_Slow
The pads never 100% retract from the rotor. The tick tick tick noise you are hearing is the pads contacting the rotors. While it's not really a desirable trait for a street car it's normal for an autocross or a road race car. The only way to eliminate the noise is to change out brake pads.
+1 On that.. You might also wanna check to see if the hardware kit is touching the rotors.. hardware kit??? the Little shims that hold the pads in place one on the top and bottom.. If they rub against the rotor you will get that same exact noise.. What you might wanna try: Jack the car up and take off the wheel, put the lug nuts back on the rotor and spin it. With your hand by grabbing one of the lug nuts and listen for the noise..
Old 10-28-2009, 01:45 AM

You may want to replace the pads or replace the brake shims as others say. Your brake pads are loose.

Originally Posted by WARP211
+1 On that.. You might also wanna check to see if the hardware kit is touching the rotors.. hardware kit??? the Little shims that hold the pads in place one on the top and bottom.. If they rub against the rotor you will get that same exact noise.. What you might wanna try: Jack the car up and take off the wheel, put the lug nuts back on the rotor and spin it. With your hand by grabbing one of the lug nuts and listen for the noise..
Old 10-28-2009, 10:30 AM
10 Second Club

Figuring something like this out over the internet is a PITA, and making friends with a local mechanic would make your life a lot easier. A noise can be caused by many things loose shims, screwed up e-brake hardware, crappy pads, worn rotors, rust, ect. Can you tell where the noise is coming from? You should look for shiny spots from stuff rubbing, take stuff apart and clean it up, inspecting it, maybe you'll figure it out. Your brakes should fit snug but not tight and be able to slide in their shims, also make sure the caliper slides are free and the piston can be pushed back.

I love how people will post one thing and say there is your problem, give me a break.
Old 10-29-2009, 06:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

what's the piece called on the top of the inside of the caliper? i think the rotor is rubbing that part. can you buy a new one and if so how expensive is it?

Quick Reply: brake noise... im stumped